Is a marine head a "must" for you?

How important is a marine head (toilet) on a boat for a 2-tank recreational dive trip?

• Absolute must - I'm female

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Absolute must - I'm male

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • All things being equal, I'd choose the one with the head

Votes: 86 56.6%
  • That's what the ocean is for!

Votes: 46 30.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I posted this question in the women's forum - not in the form of a poll - and then began to wonder what men think as well. I also put the question to a women's group on Facebook (Girls that Scuba). Right now (3/2/18 at 8:30 am) it looks like about 12% of 271 respondents say they won't dive a boat without a marine head - and another 16% say it's important but wouldn't be a deal breaker. So I began to wonder what men think as well.

For me, a marine head has been a must, though I may be changing my mind as time goes by. As the results began to come in on the FB group I wondered what the dive industry would do with this information. Would it make a difference in what type of boat professionals invested in? So ... the poll.

Remove or move this if it would be a better fit in a different forum. Thanks!

I saw the other thread yesterday in the Women's forum and resisted commenting. On the first dive of the day, typically having had my fill of water and coffee at breakfast, I inevitably have to pee, but I have no issue with peeing in my wetsuit. However, if the boat ride to the first site is an hour or more, I almost certainly will feel a need during the ride out, and a boat with a head is a welcome amenity. As men age, we need to pee more frequently. Of course, if it's an hour or more boat ride, then it's probably a larger boat and inevitably has a head. I have no chronic gastrointestinal issues, am apparently impervious to Mexican breakfasts, and have never felt a need for a bowel movement on a day boat. :)

I'd say it Depends ... :eek:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As a guy, I still say I prefer one and I have a background in fishing/boating on a boat where the "pee bucket" is the head and a run to shore is in order if a lady on board has to pee.

Interestingly, if you ask about dive boats on this forum people will say "small fast boats" and I always immediately think what happens if you have to....

I normally dive from my own boat. It has a marine head. This was one of the requirements of my wife, and one I'm OK with. I'm not sure if I've ever used it, though. Wife and kids have.

My own boat has a head, but it’s not a necessity for me unless it’s more than an hour to the dive site. In that case, I would like one, especially for the return trip. Usually, the only time I use the head on my boat is after we’re at the dock. Female here.

I dive in the UK - which generally means drysuits, so no peeing during the dive unless you have a pee valve fitted, or wear 'pampers'.

As a general rule, UK boats are either hardboats, or RIB's.
RIB's don't have heads. As a general rule, the vast majority of hardboat's do.

I very seldom dive off a RIB, if I do, it means a run out to the site, then a run back inshore between dives.
It has been known for ladies to 'go' off the stern between the outboards whilst the men politely look at the horizon off the bow.

I much prefer Hardboat's. This means more space, bench's, shelter, hot drinks, heads, and often a diver lift.

Also, part of the safety briefing includes the request that gentlemen use the stern for urination. It keeps the head cleaner for the ladies. Ladies are recommended to avert their eyes when gentlemen are at the stern rail.
One other issue with UK dive weekends, is despite the obvious drawback, curries appear to be the preferred evening meal for a lot of divers on the Saturday night.

Gareth
(Male)

No, but it is very nice to NOT have to **** off the side of the boat.

I was going to select "that's what the ocean is for" but then I realized that realistically, "all things being equal..." yes I would prefer a head... but only all things being equal including cost.

There is always the "warhammer maneuver" to satisfy your urgent needs on a boat without a head, just watch out for the fish that will start on nibble away!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom