Is another problem with DAN brewing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet:
That is very interesting Wet-Willie. Looks like DAN SA is trying to distance themselves from DAN America.
DAN Europe has issued a similar statement.

here's the latest news release form DAN:

We deeply regret that many DAN members and others in the diving communitywere the focus of a broadcast email campaign by the SSS Network. The latest statement from SSS is designed to intimidate and frighten DAN members, and much of the information is untrue, misleading and contradicts previous statements from chambers within the SSS Network. DAN and SSS are in dispute over the excessive treatment charges, which DAN believes are not reasonable and customary in comparison to other hyperbaric chambers and will damage the diving industry long term if not addressed now. By refusing to accept DAN insurance, SSS is attempting to place the burden of payment on the diver in order to gain leverage to force DAN's insurer to accept higher treatment charges.

We find it hard to believe that SSS facilities would be closing due to insurance issues involving DAN¹s insurer. SSS has claimed that insurance purchased through DAN represents only a small percentage of their business.

They have now stated that some of this is being driven by a slowdown in diving travel, especially to dive locations that experienced hurricane and tsunami damage. DAN has always supported remote facilities through our Recompression Assistance Program (RCAP). This program is part of the not-for-profit mission of DAN, and provides equipment to help chambers remain fully operational so they can remain open and viable and assist divers in need without having to resort to overcharging injured divers.

The recent SSS press release implies that there is something suspicious about Accident & General Insurance, Ltd. (AGI), a wholly-owned subsidiary of DAN that underwrites a portion of the diver accident insurance purchased through DAN. On the contrary, DAN has referenced AGI in all of its publications and presentations about DAN. Revenue generated by AGI supports DAN's mission activities including medical services and research. No DAN employees receive compensation from AGI.

DAN has worked hard to bring this dispute to an equitable resolution. A court date is set for early May 2006. A mediation session is scheduled for late March. The tactics employed by SSS are unfortunate choices in a dispute that we choose to handle in a more professional manner. While SSS keeps changing its position (see DAN website for a chronological records of their statements), DAN has always maintained a consistent message and approach to the issue:

A. DAN Members will be treated at all SSS recompression chambers
B. DAN Members with Dive Accident Insurance purchased through DAN are fully covered
C. In the event of a dive injury, call the DAN Emergency Hotline immediately
D. DAN will handle all the necessary matters and no DAN member will be out of pocket

DAN has been here to protect divers for over 25 years and during that time we have been true to our mission to keep divers and our sport as safe as possible. We will continue to do so. DAN is and will remain Your Dive Safety Association.

http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php?article_id=86172054103

Thanks for posting that Andy. This part has certainly been in my mind thru all this caca...
DAN has always supported remote facilities through our Recompression Assistance Program (RCAP). This program is part of the not-for-profit mission of DAN, and provides equipment to help chambers remain fully operational so they can remain open and viable and assist divers in need without having to resort to overcharging injured divers.

I'm going to keep supporting DAN and trusting them more than any other insurance company I've ever known - altho they are a lot more to me than that.

I've asked it before and I'll ask it again: Does anyone know of an actual diver who has been refused treatment or has been out of pocket?

Having read Andy's post, I'm now to the point that even if the dispute is resolved, I'll use an SSS chamber only if there is no other choice ... assuming I am even willing to go to a location that has only an SSS chamber.

Yeah, SSS is making a lot of well deserved enemies. Pretty low life way at doing business, with threats against injured divers.

Since they gave us their 10 locations, I think I'll remember them and look for others in my disaster plans.

When I got DCS and needed an emerg evacuation to the nearest medical center, DAN refused to pay for it. In fact, my DAN coverage was worse than useless, because their complete ignorance and my having to argue with them on the phone, when I could barely speak, just upset me even more. I was already sick, and arguing with DAN was even worse. Their policy requires that any evacuation be arranged/pre-approved by DAN. They had no idea where I was - it seemed as though they had never heard of Canada, the Pacific Northwest, or being on an island without a hospital! I was disgusted, and have not renewed my membership. Luckily, because I was in my own home province, my regular medical coverage and my extended health coverage paid for the ferry being called into service after hours in order to transport me in the ambulance to the hospital in Campbell River (from Quadra Island).

So, that's my story. I was surprised, because I had believed that DAN would help me out in an emergency. They didn't, despite their glossy magazine that has story after story about how great they are.

Again, just to play the devils advocate here. :D
DAN doesn't appear to be taking the high road as it could be understood from this press release. It could be considered as dirty as some consider the SSS press releases to be.
It appears as if they are trying to discredit a reputable chamber operator that is able to work well with other DAN subsidiaries, only not with DAN AMERICA.:14:
Do you all think that every other insurer in the world, including DAN Europe, DAN SA, DAN East Asia and everyone else in the world that consider the fees acceptable is wrong and only DAN America is right? :gulp18:
Yeah right, In this case you must believe in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny too. :icorolley
Looking from the side and not knowing all the facts it appears that DAN America is trying to dictate "special pricing" to a reputable international chamber operator that resists such practices and rather declined accepting DAN Americas insurance altogether.
From a business point of view, It is their right to decline any insurance that they consider unreliable business partner and doesn't pay it's bills on time and as agreed. Didn't someone mention before in this thread that it an acceptable practice among MD's in the USA to decline certain insurances?
They do not decline treating patients, they only decline accepting DAN America insurance, while accepting all other DAN insurances :wink:

Shadow: Thanks for your input. It appears I went out on a limb for DAN. As such, I'd like to privately challenge DAN relative to your incident. Of course, I would not do that without your good graces. If you'll give them, let me know. And if you'll give them, please PM me with your real name so I can specifically write DAN and ask what gives. If not, no hard feelings.

Shadow, I'd certainly like to know more about the horrible time you survived. Would have like to known about it before, but - whatever you'd like to share...?

Shadow:

that's a terrible experience. like ItsBruce, i would like to follow up with DAN
about this. could you PM me whatever details you feel comfortable with?

i would like to make sure this doesn't happen to me.

Back
Top Bottom