• Yes, start a Non DIR Forum

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • No, leave things as they are!

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • It really does not matter.

Votes: 24 19.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveTub

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Is It Time For A DIR Forum The Poll

Note Option #2 : Yes, start a Non DIR Forum

Would be a place to post a question and not have it beaten to death by DIR.....

I for one have had enough of DIR entering into almost every thread on all the Forums.

It is turning people away from the forums and I have no doubt new divers away from Diving.

Can you please create a DIR forum so people can post, rant and rave about DIR to there hearts content, and not put the rest of us through there ramblings.

I can post 20 links to threads that have turned into DIR V's everything else and I am sick of it.

And maybe an Apeks lovers Forum would be a good idea too....:boom:

Sydney_Diver said...
I for one have had enough of DIR entering into almost every thread on all the Forums.

I have felt the same thing on occasions. Lately, though, it doesn't seem (IMO) to be DIR that is the issue, it's backplates... which is not quite the same thing. I am surprised anyone still has the energy to debate the relative merits of BPs and BCs... but if that's what the people in the BC forum want to talk about, I'm not going to stand in their way (although I am going to yawn, rudely... can't help it, I was badly brought up :wink:).

I would love to have the option to customise the 'View new posts' link so it only shows the new posts in the forums I'm interested in, but that's probably a lot to ask for.

Zept

Sydney_Diver, I think you may be on to something here, but you also may be going about it backwards. Perhaps what's needed is a non-DIR forum, one where admission is restricted to divers that must first recite an anti-DIR catechism, something like:

I was given a brain and I'm going to use it - no one decides for me.

-or-

Just because George starts with G doesn't make him God - no matter what anyone says.

-or-

Halcyon doesn't ALWAYS mean better.

And remember, if you find yourself swimming in waters infested with the dark hordes, the best defense is a BFK. Let the clone war begin...

Steven

A more civil attitude on BOTH sides would make the discussions more productive, but, if the sides have different sections then there will be less sharing of ideas.

Chad

I think that a separate DIR forum is a great idea! I don’t consider myself either pro or anti DIR; I like to hear different points of view and have yet to be convinced that there is only one right way. I feel that the rhetoric, both pro and anti DIR discourages many people from posting, especially new divers.

I know from personal experience that it is disheartening to ask a question on the BC you just spent $500 on only to be told the way to solve the problem is to sell it on E-bay. IMO creating a separate home for DIR discussions will promote more discussion and I can think of no down side.

Mike

A DIR forum would not accomplish your goal.

"I for one have had enough of DIR entering into almost every thread on all the Forums."

DIR can come up quite legitimately in most any discussion. A DIR forum would only apply to threads that begin discussing DIR. Thinking a DIR forum would eliminate DIR from discussions is like thinking the "Women Only" forum will stop women from participating in other forums.

ckharlan66 once bubbled...
A more civil attitude on BOTH sides would make the discussions more productive, but, if the sides have different sections then there will be less sharing of ideas.

Chad
Well said Chad, I agree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom