• Yes, start a Non DIR Forum

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • No, leave things as they are!

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • It really does not matter.

Votes: 24 19.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaTec once bubbled...

No you didn't it is just my attempt to seperate the teachers from the subject.

DIR is not the problem and does not need to be seperated [imo]
much if not all DIR is valuable as part of any overall conversation about diving.

I was saying that the GUE attitude that DIR is the only system and that any other system is a death sentence. prohibits discution on any other types of systems without it turning into an argument.

Sorry to everybody for continuing on a tangent, but I've seen you say this several times already. You seem to think that GUE is responsible for the negative attitude of some DIR divers, ie "do it our way or you will die, stroke." As I'm sure many other GUE trained divers will (and have) attest, GUE courses are not in any way some sort of indoctrination. DIR is presented as "what we believe is a better way to dive," not as the only way. I have met many GUE instructors and none of them are negative. I am GUE trained and can say that there is nothing in GUE training responsible for that. Don't blame GUE for the bad ones. Read some of the DIR-F trip reports here. Some people have mentioned how surprised they were that there was no real attitude from the instructors.

AquaTec, I respect your attitude towards DIR. This isn't because you have attacked GUE or DIR; it seems that you have a misperception about GUE that I would rather not see repeated. It is individuals, not GUE, that are responsible for the attitude.

This is the point I am also advocating.

It is indaviduals not the system [DIR] that is the problem

So i will take my own advice and target indaviduals instead of the organisation they belong to.

so next time someone wants to know how to install an air II and they get attacked for even having one, let us both monitor the conversation and identify the indaviduals. lets see if there are any common denominators there. and lets inform them that it would be more helpfull to explain why in thier oppinion an air II is not the best solution as opposed to the unsubstantiated attack on the diver who was just attempting to get some constructive oppinions

Back on track - is there a real problem with creating a DIR forum for DIR-specific questions? There's numerous threads on this board about the correct way to rig a backup regulator on a necklace, breakaway connections for bolt snaps, hose routing, the list goes on - a lot of this stuff is continually being rehashed and repeated on the board. A DIR forum for DIR questions is a great idea IMO.

And that doesn't mean to say that if someone wants to talk about backplates it should be relegated to the DIR forum only. Just DIR-specific questions need go there.

Just so long as whenever someone mentions the phrase DIR, they're not told to take it to that forum.

bengiddins once bubbled...
Back on track - is there a real problem with creating a DIR forum for DIR-specific questions? There's numerous threads on this board about the correct way to rig a backup regulator on a necklace, breakaway connections for bolt snaps, hose routing, the list goes on - a lot of this stuff is continually being rehashed and repeated on the board. A DIR forum for DIR questions is a great idea IMO.

And that doesn't mean to say that if someone wants to talk about backplates it should be relegated to the DIR forum only. Just DIR-specific questions need go there.

Just so long as whenever someone mentions the phrase DIR, they're not told to take it to that forum.

*That* is a wonderful idea.

Thank you all for your ideas, we will be taking everything said here both for and against a DIR only forum and discussing it for a future change.

...the forum idea is being requested in the first place :D

The folks who like to argue against anything they perceive as DIR... desperately need a magic bullet.

Oh.... let me hasten to add that the above is just my opinion :wink:

I too see this as a good idea
If people have specific DIR questions then they can take it to that section and ask without being interupted by others

that is not to say that DIR people should not be allowed in other forums, where would the fun in that be.

This would not be a magic bullet but a good learning formum for those who whant to know more about DIR/GUE

bengiddins wrote...
There's numerous threads on this board about the correct way to rig a backup regulator on a necklace, breakaway connections for bolt snaps, hose routing, the list goes on - a lot of this stuff is continually being rehashed and repeated on the board. A DIR forum for DIR questions is a great idea IMO.
Really though, Ben, what's the point? If people don't search the archives now, why would they be more likely to if we add another forum?

Thanks all for your responses.
I still reckon a DIR forum would clean up the threads a little.

And as mentioned maybe a NON DIR forum would be a better idea, I had not thought of that, where recreational divers can post questions without the fear of being inundated with DIR this and DIR that

Is It Time For A DIR Forum The Poll

Note Option #2 : Yes, start a Non DIR Forum

Would be a place to post a question and not have it beaten to death by DIR.

Back
Top Bottom