• Yes, start a Non DIR Forum

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • No, leave things as they are!

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • It really does not matter.

Votes: 24 19.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tampascott once bubbled...

Yeah, but I heard if I go DIR, I can't drink beer anymore. That excludes me. :D

Listen, BP/Wings and all the other stuff may be great. I don't know, I admit I haven't tried it. But George or whatever his name is has got some things to learn about marketing. The guy must be an incredible ego maniac. First, this whole term Doing it Right is arrogant as hell, and everyone knows that. Secondly, he has his girlfriend snap photos of him in his tight little swimsuit striking Charles Atlas type photos, and posts them up on the web. When I saw that I LMAO.

But George or whatever his name is has got some things to learn about marketing.

George couldn't care less about marketing. He has no interest in Halcyon or any other manufacturer other than Gaving scooters to the best of my knowlege.

The guy must be an incredible ego maniac.

Okay.

Secondly, he has his girlfriend snap photos of him in his tight little swimsuit striking Charles Atlas type photos, and posts them up on the web

Know of any better way to show equipment configuration? Actually, I'd rather have seen it on Pina, his girlfriend!

detroit diver once bubbled...

Know of any better way to show equipment configuration?

I'm not sure which equipment he was trying to show, but the photos I saw had no dive gear of any type.

detroit diver once bubbled...

Actually, I'd rather have seen it on Pina, his girlfriend!

That, we'll agree on! Man, what a hottie. George must be doing something right! :D

Don't hold back now. Tell us what you really think! :D

Initially I thought a separate DIR forum was a good idea....but upon further reflection IMHO, more forums is NOT a good idea. This further separates debates/threads into an ever-increasing number of smaller forums, meaning that on average fewer people will see the debates.

In addition, who will decide what belongs in the DIR forum and what does not? The thread starter will make the initial decision, but as often happens around here, a regulator who probably has limited/no knowledge of DIR will make a judgment that a given thread should be moved in or out of the DIR forum. As has been discussed ad nauseum, most of the techniques and gear choices that are part of the DIR philosophy are "borrowed" and are not unique to DIR. So questions about hose length, back-up necklaces, backplates, frog kicks, etc., etc., etc. don't really belong in a segregated DIR forum since they are not unique to DIR. I guess you could create a separate DIR forum with the intention of starting DIR debates. Some threads will be useful and productive, some won’t. Some folks will try and convince others that their position is right, some won’t. But having this in a separate forum won’t stop the heated and sometimes ugly debates, and I think they will continue to spill over into the “mainstream” forums.

I also feel strongly that a forum on a given topic should include data from multiple philosophies, including DIR. When a topic gets discussed, I like to hear these opinions in one place. Segregating DIR discussions discourages this. All divers (new and old, DIR and non-DIR) benefit from active discussions where a given technique or piece of gear is discussed from all angles. DIR should be included in this mix, allowing folks to see what choices are out there and what makes sense.

One idea would be to develop a strong DIR summary or FAQ thread with lots of links. This could be kept in an area of the board that is “permanent”, i.e., that won’t keep getting pushed down into the archives by daily thread traffic. Folks can go and read about DIR and find out about DIR resources. If you are serious about producing this, why not ask Andrew Georgitsis or Jarrod Jablonski from GUE to put together the piece for you? This helps them by helping to publicize DIR and helps you by going to the “source”. This gives folks the resources to learn about DIR and to make their own decision about whether to pursue it.

Regarding the “DIR-zealotry” that goes on here and elsewhere – I guess I wish folks would tone this down, but this is human nature. I will say however, that I think GUE also needs to be careful on this issue, since I think they themselves are somewhat guilty of bashing non-DIR divers and other certification agencies. I saw a fair amount of this during my DIRF course by at least one instructor and I felt like it was unnecessary (I gave them this feedback at the end of the course). Again, I am a DIR supporter, but I think wasting time and energy putting down the non-DIR world detracts from the message/training they are trying to convey.

My $0.02.

large_diver once bubbled...
Initially I thought a separate DIR forum was a good idea...My $0.02.

Sometimes I get the impression that the only sane and rational people on planet earth live in Boston.

tampascott once bubbled...
Yeah, but I heard if I go DIR, I can't drink beer anymore. That excludes me. :D

Beer is DIR. I think it has to be imported though. I drank Corona and nobody has invoked rule #1 on me yet :)

Tom

You can’t have a DIR forum, because as stated several times already DIR is applicable to all facets of diving.

Your only approach would be to create a non-DIR forum in which DIR solutions are explicitly excluded.

If someone asks in a general forum “how do I mount a canister light” the DIR/Hogarthian/whatever solution of “on the right waist belt” is a legitimate solution and should be able to be aired.

Asked in the non-DIR forum only butt mounting could be discussed and us DIR folks will shut up. I promise. I won’t even bother to open it for that matter. You can all live in peace.

Unless you want to dedicate ALL your other forums to solutions on the level of butt mounting canisters, you can’t create a DIR forum.

How many divers have stated “I’m not DIR but I do mount my thrapnab in a DIR manner.” To isolate DIR to one forum will keep that thrapnab mounting solution from being seen by the non-DIR divers.

Roak

Wouldn't it be a boring world if there was no controversy? I kinda like the posts that get heated about DIR or whatever. However, i can't really recall one that would or should upset anyone.

If you separate these things, how will people ever be exposed to new ways of doing things? I'm sure DIR isn't the only new way to do things (as if any of it is really new), its just the only new way with a label. And if certain DIR ideas start becoming even more mainstream as i'm sure they will, at what point would it be ok to start discussing it outside of the DIR forums?

s

On the subject of DIR forum and non-DIR forum,(technical and recreational) I would recommend having an area where ideas were discussed freely from individuals who are actually doing some of this stuff instead of reciting what someone else said. There are many examples of people with very little or no experience in areas (cave diving, technical diving, instruction, etc..) giving advice from information that they read.
This type of action is counterproductive. Unfortunately, the loudest are usually preaching under the "facade" of DIR from what they "learned" typing and attempting to self teach. (Like Cave 1 divers telling how to carry stages in a cave). It's easy because DIR puts all of the ideas together.
It would be nice for ideas to flow freely from all individuals without ties to agencies and hypothetical understanding with no practical knowledge.
Cheers and good luck in creating a utopian forum

Divesherpa,

I couldn't agree more. Except that you single out DIR for this problem. Are you suggesting that all non-DIR posts are from people that have the expertise to pass on knowledge?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom