I've always wanted to learn how to use a rebreather!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SamArkey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can anyone tell me anything about it? I honestly don't know that much about it.
Roughly how much does the course cost?

Sam

Can anyone tell me anything about it? I honestly don't know that much about it.
Roughly how much does the course cost?

Sam

Most CCR courses are in the $1500 range. About a week long and 6 to 8 dives with 500 minutes UW time.
Have Fun;
Bill
P.S. You must be Advanced EANx

my understanding is that the courses are also unit specific

i recomend starting with trydives if you havent already done so. my hubby had about 7hrs on various units (meg, inspo, evo, prism, optima & kiss) by the time he made the decision to buy a MEG

cheers

Drager Dolphin is not a CCR.:shakehead:

True, but I understand the OP is asking about "Rebreathers" in general and an SCR is still a Rebreather. Using a Dolphin is as good a place as any to experience a Rebreather, since the fundamental differences from OC are just as apparent with an SCR as with a CCR, ie: absence of exhalation bubbles, warm breathing experience, additional bouyancy from the counterlung, noiseless etc.

Obviously there are more advanced differences related to task loading around PPO2 management etc between SCR and CCR but for someone who might just want to experience the major advantages of using a rebreather, an SCR course would provide that.

Ray.

They're all infernal drool inducing machines.:11: I was overwhelmed by the pre-dive setup and post-dive take down disassembly & maintenance --and that was on a simple Drager Dolphin SCR.
In general, a malfunctioning Rebreather is very unforgiving -you must be patient, proficient and meticulous in the care & use of these units. . . (My PADI Class over seven years ago cost roughly $400 USD).

They're all infernal drool inducing machines.:11: I was overwhelmed by the pre-dive setup and post-dive take down disassembly & maintenance --and that was on a simple Drager Dolphin SCR.
In general, a malfunctioning Rebreather is very unforgiving -you must be patient, proficient and meticulous in the care & use of these units. . . (My PADI Class over seven years ago cost roughly $400 USD).

I'm trying to glean the message(s) in your overall statement. I think your last sentence applies to open circuit as well. Granted, setup is easier with OC, but being underwater without practicing some level of proficiency, meticulous care of gear can easily make for a bad day. Example: The Andrea Doria on open circuit.

X

BTW - I've taught $99 classes scuba before. Does this mean cheaper is better? If that's the case I have you beat. :D

Most CCR courses are in the $1500 range. About a week long and 6 to 8 dives with 500 minutes UW time.
Have Fun;
Bill
P.S. You must be Advanced EANx
For true CCR diving, there are other pre-requisites, as you point out. If you're qualified (generally through possessing at least an advanced EANx class, although deco procedures, or the equivalent is usually strongly suggested - and you're missing the point of CCR if you lack it) then it's somewhere between $800 and $1500, depending on model of rebreather and who yo're taking it from.

Semi-closed units, like the Drager Dolphin, or the Azimuth are usually significantly cheaper ($295 for the Drager is the cheapest I've seen for training, and no one should pay more than $500 or they're not looking hard enough for an instructor.) Those units generally only require the stock, mind-numbingly watered down Nitrox class from PADI/NAUI/SSI.

It's not just the unit, too, that's pricey - what you don't think about is the cost of the bailout regs, the sling bottles, the consumables, etc. It's not a cheap hobby, but it's addictive. I should know - I've got two units, and always am eyeing a third.

Back
Top Bottom