I've always wanted to learn how to use a rebreather!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I've been teaching for over twelve years now and I have to say that I've seen divers that after 10 years of diving don't belong on a rebreather, and don't belong in tek. I've seen divers after a few months of diving and the proper training that could easily go either route.

I understand... it's got more to do with a mindset and being able to follow procedures, setting up equipment, planning dives into detail... etc I also understand that this is something that you can also learn from OW onwards. In some ways it has more to do with who you are then what you have done.However I bet that the % extended range/trimix divers with these kinds of personality traids (they already have to do the above) is vastly bigger then the % in OW divers?!

You can't blanket every diver because rebreathers scare you. I would take your comments more seriously beester if you were certified CCR and had some experience. I'm sorry if I am offending you, thats really not my point. And yes, training today is scary.

I understand that you feel that I'm not qualified to pose any questions on rebreathing, how it works, why we should or shouldn't start at a certain experience level or not, etc.. but this means you disqualify every comment, question, remark asked by anybody on this board or even in real life that is not a CCR diver even the OP question. I don't think that's the kind of attitude that makes a good instructor or will get new ccr students.

The fact that I'm spending time on this topic should also give you an indication that I'm interested in one way or the other... I wouldn't spend my time here if that wasn't the case. Am I scared of rebreathers... yes certain aspects of it do scare me in one way or the other just as certain aspects of OC scare me. The best way to deal with this angst is by educating yourselve but of course that's not possible because I'm not certified to ask questions.

Training scary... you bet. I've had some experience with that... but tell me how long training will last on CCR for a new diver... who has no clue... to an experienced trimix diver?

Next to that... don't you think that market pressure will push this training level like it has done with OC trainings? PADI already pushing basic OW or AOW to a couple of eeks at most. The reason I'm asking is that I might be called conservative but I come from a different school of training... which took almost a year for your every day basic AOW (comparison I'm CMAS).

I'm sorry for sounding so pendantic... Maybe you've offended me afterall :D

I think its great that you pose questions, it just seems as though you are offering advise. And yes training should be more like cmas, but unfortunately everyone has gotten used to the idea of a weekend long class and now we have OW instructors being pumped out like an unlimited pez dispenser, and they have a total of 100 dives, and teach for nothing for a year or two, just long enough to realize that its not really as fun as they thought. Then comes there replacement with even less experience. It would be much easier just to make it mail order. Maybe have an infomercial. But wait order now and your wife and kids can be certified as well.

I think its great that you pose questions, it just seems as though you are offering advise. And yes training should be more like cmas, but unfortunately everyone has gotten used to the idea of a weekend long class and now we have OW instructors being pumped out like an unlimited pez dispenser, and they have a total of 100 dives, and teach for nothing for a year or two, just long enough to realize that its not really as fun as they thought. Then comes there replacement with even less experience. It would be much easier just to make it mail order. Maybe have an infomercial. But wait order now and your wife and kids can be certified as well.

Point taken...

I'm realy sorry for sounding as I'm offering advice... that has never been my intention... I want to make it absolutely clear that I have no experience whatsoever with rebreathers of any kind short of reading up on it and talking about it with (only) one rebreather diver.

Regarding the certification problems... that's of course another discussion... but I agree.

Just because someone has just gotten their drivers license doesn't mean that person shouldn't be asking about motorsports if they're intrested in that, or inquire about jets if they just got their PPL.

and plenty of places are now doing ab initio jet training. flying a jet is a hell of a lot easier than a piston engine, especially a turbo charged piston.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom