Kicked out of Nitrox Class!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, for one, would like to know exactly which shop this is referring to. I occasionally get back to the DFW area, and would NOT want to inadvertently wander into this shop to spend my money with such an unappreciative business. Thanks...
It's on the corner of Fairytale Ave. and Neverhappened St. in the Dallas garment district.:wink:

The OP hasn't been on the board in over 2 years. They didn't say then, I doubt they'd come back just to say the name of this "alleged" shop. It is fun reading though.

When you buy something you want Price, Quality, and Service but in real life you can have only two of the three. Price and Quality but not Service. Service and Price but not Quality. Some say they can get all three but your kidding yourself. :D

Still in business and is doing just fine.

I'm on staff there. We pride ourselves in providing excellence to our customers.

Much has changed in the SIX YEARS since this incident happened. The owner was going through some significant personal life changes back then. Extremely emotional and difficult time for her...so, there is indeed much more to this story than just related from one side. I'm not justifying what happened, just saying there's more to it. People don't always handle themselves as well as they should (cough Britney Spears cough) during rough times in their lives.....

Times have changed. Let this thread die. Don't open old wounds.

People change. Cultures change. The way your LDS does business changes. I wouldn't be one ot hold a grudge for something that happened that long ago (exception: ask me why I WILL NEVER buy another Chrysler product. LOL).

Funny, I try to go to my LDS for everything I need, er, want, that 1) he carries , 2) he can compete with on price within a reasonable price point range. That is, I'll pay more but not a LOT more for the same item 3) He services yearly or 4) he cannot advise against for safety or performance reasons.

For his part, he has never been a "gear pusher". In one case, I wanted a certain style of split fins (he hates splits). He recommended a good online retailer for them. I bought them and love them. My son needed a BC. I bought a first line Poseidon from the LDS because he serviced it, the price was reasonable and he did a good job explaining why it would work for a growing teenager.

We needed a dive light. He was out of the model I wanted but pointed out that a local box-shop (Gander) had them in stock for cheaper than he could buy them. He suggested I clean them out. I bought two. Then I bought my back-ups from him, plus the stainless bolt clips. My kid's reg? From him, of course.

I asked about a wetsuit and he suggested I wait until my son quits growing or at least slows down in growth. "Rent" he told me. He doesn't have a good stock of rentals right now, since he uses so many in his classes, but suggested where I could find them.

I need a suit now (mine shrank, I swear). I'm buying it from HIM. It will be a good one.

In the end, his good service and customer orientation sold more gear to me than I bought from his competitor in the last five years.

Service can keep customers.

People change. Cultures change. The way your LDS does business changes. I wouldn't be one ot hold a grudge for something that happened that long ago (exception: ask me why I WILL NEVER buy another Chrysler product. LOL)..

Some folks change. Some don't. Many folks who change after doing something that is clearly wrong will apologize and explain that they have changed. Did I miss that somewhere?:popcorn:

Naw, you didn't miss it. I'm old and repeat myself or do the opposite and leave out relevant parts.

If someone does not change a behavior or does so begrudgingly or with qualification, then I can't give them credit for "doing the right thing" .

The free market takes care of that kind of operation. And no, I won't shop there.

My local bike shops (LBS, duh) just posted a sign saying they won't work on bikes not bought there. Since I ride a bike that I owned before they opened, that does not have a dealer in THE STATE, I quit doing business with them and moved almost exclusively online. Until that point, I bought all my kits (clothes) from them, they did my yearly tune and I was about to buy both my kids bikes there.

Instead, for the bikes, I went to a big-box bike store and got them a mid-quality brand that serves the purpose.

Later, the LBS owner told me, "For you. Okay. I'll work on your bike because you've been a good customer and I like riding with you and one day, you'll buy your replacement from me, right?".

I'm sorry. That's wrong. I love my bike and the replacement will be the same brand. Of course, it will have to be mail ordered. And the change in policy? Sorry, again. That was too begrudging.

(He has since amended his policy to say he won't work on "cheap" department store bikes, but he will work on higher-end stuff, even if he doesn't carry it. I'll buy some stuff there, like tubes and such, but my loyalty has slipped away and it will take a major attitute adjustment on his part or mine to bring it back)

Last week I was at my LDS (where I have been starting to buy basic stuff) I went in to get my prescription lenses put in on my mask. I have not done my class yet, however they know I will not be doing it with them, (they are PDIC) plus I have already done my online part. (just waiting for better weather to start pool classes) Anyhoo, I was talking to him and he was OK with the idea i was not doing my cert. with them. Maybe in the future, but I wanted PADI. he knows I am loyal to them for my gear, and they sell second hand so its a for sure I will be going to them.

The LDS where I will be getting certified is totally out of my way and way too expensave. There are a few in Montreal believe it or not, but only 2 that offers english classes at no extra cost, and they are both out of the way.

My point of view is, I need to save where I can, so if someone has a problem that I dont buy everything off them, then I will stop going there alltogether. If someone tells me they cant service me or teach me then I will go to the next least expensave shop that offers me the same quality or better... At the end of the day, its my money and I will choose to spend it wherever I want, online or a LDS. Well that is just my 2cents.

I am at a loss for words...there is NO excuse for treating a student that way, none, zilch, nada.zip. It doesn't matter how long ago it was or what life changes were going on. That was inexcuseable. Where a student buys their gear is their business....period!...but, that is just my opinion. Just goes to show ya 37 years in the business and I still haven't heard it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom