Leave gear at dive center overnight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gruber

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
While on vacation and diving consecutive days, do you leave your dive gear with the dive center overnight?

I just came back from diving in Bali and this was the first time I had my own gear. Since I was diving multiple days, the dive center / shop asked me to leave all my gear at the center overnight. I assume this primarily was so that they would be able to prepare / pack more efficiently the next day of diving. With the added benefit of them cleaning, drying and storing the gear, and me not having to carry the gear back and forth from the hotel.

However, at the same time I felt a bit weary about leaving my stuff with them, out of my control. How safe is it? What happens if stuff get lost, damaged, or worse stolen, under their supervision? I wouldn't expect them to take any responsibility. What would a travel insurance stipulate about a situation like this?

Whats your experiences and thoughts about this?

Cheers
Gruber

They'll lock the shop by the end of the day. I normally detach my dive computer console & take it with me to the hotel or to my room if it's a dive resort. I've dove in Bali about once a year for the last 10 years, nothing bad happened so far (knock on wood).

We do this all the time. From our experience, the worst thing that happens is you forget something at the shop when you leave.

I'd take my reg/ octo/ computer with me. The BC can rinse and dry there, same as fins, boots, mask, gloves, snorkel ( if you have one).

I'd take my reg/ octo/ computer with me. The BC can rinse and dry there, same as fins, boots, mask, gloves, snorkel ( if you have one).
Ditto

This is common for concierge dive operations. Even some basic ops provide do it youself over night storage facilities where you can rise and hang your gear.

When we dive at Divi in Bonaire they provide a buddy team locker out on the dock that you leave your gear in - with your lock on it.

They'll lock the shop by the end of the day. I normally detach my dive computer console & take it with me to the hotel or to my room if it's a dive resort. I've dove in Bali about once a year for the last 10 years, nothing bad happened so far (knock on wood).
Thanks - I was just wondering about that. So OK to rinse the BC with the Oceanic Pro Plus 3 detached from the HP hose and visa versa I take it?

"Valet" or "concierge" diving is the standard in Cozumel. Our operator issues you a mesh bag when you check in and takes care of everything but wetsuits. Some ops manage wetsuits as well. When you arrive at the boat, everything is set up for you. I have to admit...it's nice. Go over their set up, double check, buddy check, and dive. When you are done, your gear goes back into the mesh bag. They rinse it and repeat the process the next day. At the end of your dives, they dry everything overnight and you pick it up when you leave. No lugging gear, if there is a minor issue they will fix it overnight.

Now for the ultimate in dive pampering....In Roatan, you swam up to the ladder and the DMs stayed under and pulled your fins off for you. My 48 year old knees with 5 surgeries could get used to that.... they also kept a dive log for you And the rest of the boat. It was nice to compare air usage to others when we were done. im no where near as bad as I thought....

I have never worried about my gear with any of the ops we have dove with. Regs, computers, BCD etc have always been taken care of.

Safe travels,
Jay

Last edited:
"Valet" or "concierge" diving is the standard in Cozumel. Our operator issues you a mesh bag when you check in and takes care of everything but wetsuits. Some ops manage wetsuits as well. When you arrive at the boat, everything is set up for you. I have to admit...it's nice. Go over their set up, double check, buddy check, and dive. When you are done, your gear goes back into the mesh bag. They rinse it and repeat the process the next day. At the end of your dives, they dry everything overnight and you pick it up when you leave. No lugging gear, if there is a minor issue they will fix it overnight.

No for the ultimate in dive pampering....I Roatan, you swam up to the ladder and the DMs stayed under and pulled your fins off for you. My 48 year old knees with 5 surgeries could get used to that.... they also kept a dive log for you. And the rest of the boat. It was nice to compare air usage to others when we im no where near as bad as I thought....

I have never worried about my gear with any of the ops we have dove with. Regs, computers, BCD etc have always been taken care of.

Safe travels,
Jay
What is a decent tip per day for the "rinse and keep my gear" service?

I usually tip $20 a day for my wife and I. We usually bring frozen coconut waters, cookies, little bananas (they are kind of like crack) and other snacks and share with the crew as well.

Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom