Solved: LGBTQIA people. Is there a need for a sub-forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
El Hefe 612

El Hefe 612

Sings "Wheels on the Bus" Daily
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay… First, I know I'm new here. Second, I'm genuinely curious. And third, I read the entire 18-page thread of the "LGBTQ Divers?" question. As a openly gay, married man I would love to have a place to connect with other gay men, women, and like-minded individuals to discuss dive travel opportunities, to find dive buddies without having to worry about whether or not they might have a problem with me, and to feel comfortable talking about things that might impact us.

If possible, I'd like to have a board created under Non-Geographic Clubs called:

LGBTQIA Divers and Their Friends

I have spent the past week-and-a-half searching the internet (and this board) for such clubs, and I was surprised how lacking they were. It's been six years since the original question was posted in the thread referenced above. I know if I'm interested, that there are probably many others who would be too, but they may just be afraid to ask. Many of the responses in the thread above were not very understanding of what it is like living as an LGBTQIA individual in a predominantly heteronormative global society. Having such a space is not about excluding anyone, it's about having space where we don't have to worry about being who we are and can focus on what we love - diving (among many other things).

Thanks!

Whilst I don't have an objection to a sub forum, I see it as regressive rather than progressive. In the same way as I see white only clubs or organisations, black only, chinese only, female only, male only, etc.
Allow me to disagree somewhat. If the traditional power majority, which I incidentally belong to: white straight male, asked for special treatment, or a special venue, I'd regard that as totally unnecessary. OTOH, if someone from a traditionally repressed category (women, colored people, LGB... folks) asked for the same I'd thoroughly consider the request.

I'm pretty certain that quite a few of us privileged ones aren't able to completely understand how it feels to be from the non-privileged category.

I am not aware of any women who only post in the Women's perspective forum. They tend to post there about things specific to their issues that are unlikely to be well received in other threads. They are not being exclusive or isolationists.... I see the LGB... forum going the same route.

Yes, but can't you see how much more comfortable it would be for us hopping on a boat (list, group, outing, event...) knowing immediately that I don't have to run through my list of questions when formulating a response and I don't have to "educate" like I constantly have to do in everyday society? Usually, I'll tell people I'm gay, have a husband, like the "D," etc. and let them deal with their own homophobic issues, but sometimes it's nice not having to do that. Whether we want to or not, there is usually some level of "guardedness" that happens when we enter an unfamiliar setting (like SB) or engage in conversation with non-LGBTQIA folks. It's nice being able to let our hair down and just be us without the guardedness.

(Why is my horse just lying here? Giddy-up! Oh crap!! He's dead. :cry:)

I understand. I feel strongly (too mild a word) that everyone should be able to go anywhere, everytime, and not have to do anything more than be there and enjoy what they are doing. It's way past time for this country's population to grow the eff up.

I am not aware of any women who only post in the Women's perspective forum. They tend to post there about things specific to their issues that are unlikely to be well received in other threads. They are not being exclusive or isolationists.... I see the LGB... forum going the same route.

Good point. I see the need for a forum that can be a safe venue for specific issues.

My main point is a lot of the issues you mention above effect those of us who are not part of the LGBTQIA community, its the issue of sexuality that differs. Some of us make make inappropriate comments through ignorance or a lack of understanding. I would much rather have the opportunity to learn, than be excluded and lose that opportunity to learn.
There are people I would choose to avoid, not because of a particular religious, sexual, political, etc view, but because they are unpleasant individuals, what ever cloth they cover themselves in.

Whilst I don't have an objection to a sub forum, I see it as regressive rather than progressive. In the same way as I see white only clubs or organisations, black only, chinese only, female only, male only, etc.
Being inclusive breaks down barriers, reduces ignorance and develops understanding - not always agreement, but understanding.

Gareth
That is the main reason why we would keep it open to everyone. Those of us who would use and benefit most from and LGBTQIA forum can speak openly under the rules of conduct provided; and the rest of SB can read about what is impacting us, how we might deal with those issues, learn about ways to give support on the greater SB forums, and hopefully become more enlightened overall. It would be like the Women's Perspective where we are able to better understand the challenges female divers face in the world of diving (e.g., equipment designs/fit) and how the world of diving can progress to address those challenges.

For me, the forum would be a first stop when researching questions that specifically concern my sexuality with regard to diving: travel safety, local gay social groups/dive clubs, LGBTQIA-friendly dive buddies (definitely a place where straight divers could share there information if they have no problems with us gay folks), which dive operations are friendliest to LGBTQIA folks, announcements about LGBTQIA diving events (perhaps in conjunction with Pride celebrations), etc. If these were under one umbrella for us, it's quicker and easier, and I don't have to go scouring SB to find my answers to such questions. Announcements, for example, might be cross posted to reach a wider audience - LGBTQIA trip opportunities could be announced in both LGBTQIA Divers and Friends and under Travel Related Discussions.

My original post wasn't meant to be some activist-agenda driven request - sorry if it came off that way. At the time, I was just curious if we could have a space to consolidate our discussions more readily. I had done several searches using gay, LGBT, LGBTQIA, GLBT, etc. and couldn't find the answers I was looking for - is there a local Gay Bears diving group and are there any upcoming LGBTQIA or Gay Bears diving trips coming up (my husband and I are trying to figure out where to travel Dec 25-31 and thought it might be fun to travel with a group of other gay guys). When I couldn't find anything and saw that there wasn't already a space where such answers were consolidated, I submitted my suggestion on the Suggestions forum, thinking it would mostly reach the staff in charge rather than involve the entire SB community in, what I thought, was a simple, quick question. The rest of this 22-page banter was rather shocking and telling to me that there were other good reasons why it would be important for the LGBTQIA Divers and Friends forum to exist - to help educate the greater SB community who don't understand the need.

Just so I understand better. What would happen if someone posts a question about equipment, techniques or best time of the year to dive a location, etc (in other words nothing to go with sexuality)? Would that post be moved to the existing topic forum or would it stay in this sub-forum? My thoughts are if the posts in the sub-forum are related to sexuality (gay friendly places, LGBTQIA clubs, social questions, etc..) then a sub-forum makes complete sense. If it is a place for all posts then I think it makes less sense as the poster would not have the full benefit of the Scubaboard collective wisdom (is that an oxymoron?).

To be honest, I was thinking about asking for a sub forum under Travel Related Discussions called Trip Suggestions for New Divers. But now I'm hesitant to make any other suggestions. After 22 pages of banter from my last request, I would ask how the SB community would like to receive suggestions for new sub forums from new people who aren't familiar with the proper SB etiquette for making such a request - on the Suggestions forum or in a PM. I just want to help make SB easier for people like me - new gay diver with disabilities.

What would happen if someone posts a question about equipment, techniques or best time of the year to dive a location, etc (in other words nothing to go with sexuality)? Would that post be moved to the existing topic forum or would it stay in this sub-forum?
Most probable outcome: If the post was reported as not relevant to the forum, it would probably be moved to the appropriate forum. If it weren't reported, it'd probably pass below the mods' radar and stay in the forum where it was posted.

I am not aware of any women who only post in the Women's perspective forum.
Exactly, and why would they? It would limit their experience and access. There are precedents that have been set. It works out just fine.

Most probable outcome: If the post was reported as not relevant to the forum, it would probably be moved to the appropriate forum. If it weren't reported, it'd probably pass below the mods' radar and stay in the forum where it was posted.

Exactly and some may be moved "to" that subforum. We get this all the time. Someone posts in basic when the topic will get better responses in dive medicine or they post in regulators when they are making a classified ad to sell their reg. We let them know and move it to where they will be better served. Sometimes we even have a gray area and the op requests that it stay and it often does. "tie goes to the op"

Just so I understand better. What would happen if someone posts a question about equipment, techniques or best time of the year to dive a location, etc (in other words nothing to go with sexuality)? Would that post be moved to the existing topic forum or would it stay in this sub-forum? My thoughts are if the posts in the sub-forum are related to sexuality (gay friendly places, LGBTQIA clubs, social questions, etc..) then a sub-forum makes complete sense. If it is a place for all posts then I think it makes less sense as the poster would not have the full benefit of the Scubaboard collective wisdom (is that an oxymoron?).
I would post equipment questions in the equipment forum (unless it was specifically related to transgender issues such as comfort or fit of the BCD, wetsuit, etc. during the transition period, as an example). Techniques would go under forums related to those technical questions. Best time to travel would go somewhere under Travel Related Discussions unless it was a response to a thread related to LGBTQIA-safe travel destinations. It would be weird to post a question about VPM vs Buhlmann debate in the LGBTQIA thread, for example, unless there was something specifically about decompression models that would affect LGBTQIA differently (I can't, for the life of me, think what that would be right at the moment).

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom