Long hose (7 feet) setup ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just tuck my 7' hose in my waist belt. It does slip out occasionally, but it's no big deal to re-tuck when it does.

My single tank rig has halcyon weight pockets on the waist strap. I've found that they protrude just enough downward to trap a long hose. Did that for months before I got a can light. They're better than the delrin hose retainer since they actually serve a purpose.

What i did and recomend is you make your self what i call a false canister. Get yourself a .5 inch to 1 inch diamiter cheap pvc pipe about 10 inchs long. Get 2 end caps and drill a small hole in the middle of them and put them on the pipe. Then with 2 stainless steel pipe clamps and a peace of harness make a attachment for your bc harnesss just like a regular canister light.

Then wala, you have a false canister that will hold your hose in place just like the real deal.

You can do it even easier than that. Just get yourself a piece of PVC pipe that's about the diameter of a can light, cut two slots the width of your webbing as shown, and you are done. Maybe file the edges of your cut a bit or put duct tape around them to keep it from damaging the webbing over time.

pipe.jpg

@doctormike , I like your thinking on this, but I was wondering if the bulge of the PVC on the inside of the waist belt might be uncomfortable?

@doctormike , I like your thinking on this, but I was wondering if the bulge of the PVC on the inside of the waist belt might be uncomfortable?

You can make it pretty small by making the cuts close to the edge. PVC is strong, you just need enough between the slots so it doesn’t crack. I never felt it.

When you are using a Long Hose (7 feet) and you do not have a dive light with a canister, what is the best setup for the hose ?
Unless your cave diving or overhead wreck penateation, the best place to put a 7 foot hose is back in the box. There is no need for one otherwise.

Unless your cave diving or overhead wreck penateation, the best place to put a 7 foot hose is back in the box. There is no need for one otherwise.

Having done actual OOG shares on both long and short hoses in open water, I wouldn't ever go back to a short hose. The 7' is no harder to use and I find it actually more streamlined than a short hose.

Having done actual OOG shares on both long and short hoses in open water, I wouldn't ever go back to a short hose. The 7' is no harder to use and I find it actually more streamlined than a short hose.

I must be doing something wrong. 52 years of diving I have never run out of air. Nor has anyone I’ve been diving with nor any of my students run short or out of air.

Matter of personal preference...
At the end of a dive off Cozumel, at about 80FSW, the guide had an o-ring failure. Boom. Gone. Bye bye air.
I handed her my long hose, made sure she was ok, made sure the rest of the group was OK, and we ascended. I was diving doubles, so there was no need to even consider blowing off the safety stop.
Here's the thing. On most of these dives, it seems the only person (other than me) carrying an SMB is the guide.
Now, if I'd handed the guide a short hose and we'd done a chest-to-chest ascent, shooting a bag would have been... problematic.
Personally, I don't think surfacing off Cozumel without a marker is the best choice.
With her on my long hose, it was no problem shooting my bag.
I cannot actually think of a single reasonable scenario in which air sharing would be easier with a short hose.

I must be doing something wrong. 52 years of diving I have never run out of air. Nor has anyone I’ve been diving with nor any of my students run short or out of air.

Once was stupidity on my part, many years ago. More recently was an equipment failure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom