Long hose and octo with necklace for rec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing you might need to reconsider is the snorkel. I find deploying the long hose with a snorkel on the mask requires tilting your head such that the snorkel doesn't catch the hose.
Good point. After switching to a LH/BO setup, I've quit wearing a snorkel. It just makes for too much hassle (and the risk of a serious CF) if I have to donate gas. These days, I carry a roll-up snorkel in my left thigh DS pocket instead.

Hi @dhaines429

Last summer I bought a second single tank setup, mainly for travel. I set it up with a 40" primary with an omniswivel running under my right arm and a 22" second on a necklace around my neck. I have found that it causes more jaw fatigue when diving 3-5 hours per day than my old setup with a standard primary. I think it is just the weight of the regulator and hose pulling slightly right and down. @tbone1004 states he does not have this problem with a long hose. I will probably try a 5 and 7 foot hose for myself. My 1st is a SP MK25, I'm also going to try the 5th, downward pointing LP port for the primary hose, to see if that helps.
I also use a 40" primary hose, under my arm, with a fixed 90-deg swivel at the second stage. I do NOT feel jaw fatigue after many hours a day diving. I surely depends on the in-water weight of the primary second stage, the hose, and the swivel, and the angle of the swivel.

I also use a 40" primary hose, under my arm, with a fixed 90-deg swivel at the second stage. I do NOT feel jaw fatigue after many hours a day diving. I surely depends on the in-water weight of the primary second stage, the hose, and the swivel, and the angle of the swivel.
My 2nd is a relatively small and light SP S600, the omniswivel allows for the most comfortable angle, standard rubber hose. It may be the hose route, I will try the downward pointing LP port the next time I use it. I tend not to notice it until the 4th or 5th dive of the day.

My 2nd is a relatively small and light SP S600, the omniswivel allows for the most comfortable angle, standard rubber hose. It may be the hose route, I will try the downward pointing LP port the next time I use it. I tend not to notice it until the 4th or 5th dive of the day.
I've been using a braided hose, switching to a rubber one (from Deep6). Will try it out in two weeks, and report back.

Until a recent experience, I used to answer this kind of question, "No, no downside at all." My recent experience was similar to that described by @Dogbowl, involving doffing the gear in the water and having to hand it up to a crew member in (in my case) a zodiac.

I just spent several days ocean diving in Cozumel and it wasn't the best configuration for me. Here's the discussion of that:

Length of regulator hoses - recreational setup

In this situation, the long hose and bungeed backup did prove a bit unwieldy. Then again, one could make the same sort of argument as is often made when someone asks about the comfort of a backplate-and-wing compared with a traditional BC: what is most important is how it performs IN THE WATER. In that sense, I might continue to answer the question as I long have: No, no downside at all.

I wear my shears on my right hip and tuck my 7' hose under it. I've never had a problem using a long hose/bungeed backup with a single tank.

Just wondering if anyone out there uses the tech setup with the long hoes primary and October on necklace for recreational diving. I'm thinking of setting up my rec setup this way and wondering if there are any real cons to it from a recreational perspective.

please define what you are calling a "long hose"

It appears most of these response are directed at the 5'/7' true "long hose" that is used in technical diving, but it can also be used to generally describe "primary donate" where the hose in your mouth is the "long hose" which is the inverse of the "normal" configuration

please define what you are calling a "long hose"

It appears most of these response are directed at the 5'/7' true "long hose" that is used in technical diving, but it can also be used to generally describe "primary donate" where the hose in your mouth is the "long hose" which is the inverse of the "normal" configuration
I was referring to the 7' hose as used in tech diving.

I use the set up partly due to me being a PSD and we use long hoses and I like the necklace to keep the regs out of the mud and muck on the bottom. I got used to that set up and use it for my rec dives.

I was referring to the 7' hose as used in tech diving.

Pros of 7' hose-I find it more comfortable than any other length of hose due to the hose sitting behind my neck which helps with my TMJ
It is tucked in my belt which I find more manageable than a 5' hose.
Being behind your neck, it means you can spit the reg out without losing it downwards which is a major con to the 40" hose with elbow

cons-this is only against a 7' hose, I find 0 reason to ever more away from a primary donate paradigm within the constructs of open circuit, single hose diving. I.e. CCR and double hoses don't count.
It is not easy to manage with a snorkel on your mask when you have to donate. It tends to get hung up on the snorkel
It does require a bit more "taming" when you are getting out of your rig which was the issue @Dogbowl had with it. This can be mitigated and to some may be worth it, others it may not be.

Back
Top Bottom