Long hose routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BO, it makes a lot more sense after someone shows you how the hose routing works. Reading about it on the Intarwebz doesn't do it justice. FWIW.

Thanks. I actually have tried it, and used it that way for awhile. I didn't have any problem with deploying it either way.

My only thought was, in the event of a panicked out of air diver coming up to me trying to yank the reg out of my mouth, would I rather have the hose wrapped around my equipment, body, and head*, or stowed in a bungie? Bungie seems better, to me.

*I know the hose isn't wrapped around your neck before the OOA diver tries to get your reg. But it might be afterwards!

If the OOA diver is flailing around like a mad thing, then the bungied hose might be more of a problem. It will easilly pull free, and they will have 5 feet of hose to wrap you in. If it's around your body, you have more control of it, it seems to me.

The reason I was told not to bungie the hose was that the loops can get caught inside each other, so that when you pull it free, it knots. I've never dived with that setup though, so I don't know how likely that actually is.

by the way, for anyone that wants a good laugh:
DIR - what its not
-J

you're right that is pretty funny, its a load of ****! I just breezed down his list, total fabrication on so many things then he says (paraphrase)" I laugh out loud when I see a high performance reg on an argon bottle, the gas comes out faster cooling the air more
and makes you cold" This jackoff should have thought about what he was writing, the inflator hose that is used for the drysuit greatly limits air flow, the valve on most drysuit limits airflow, even if they didn't how much gas do you ever need to put in your drysuit at any given time? Ok now lets say the reg freezes open, that is why the argon bottle is barely turned on and a quick 1/4 turn of the valve shuts off the gas...

pretty funny indeed

Back to the routing question...

I'm a behind-the-head person myself. But my new canister light (green force) is really too small to conveniently wrap the hose under, so I'm considering quick-linking it to the backplate. Has anyone tried the Halcyon harness pocket, which is supposed to be designed for hose-wrapping when not using a light?

I am developing an aversion to what my wreck instructor calls the "expensive blue cr*p" but if its genuinely good I might get one. Is it a good pocket (inner compartments, d-rings, etc.)? Is it genuinely good for hose wrapping?

How can your canister be too small to hook the long hose under it? A lot of people without can lights just use a knife or a pocket. I've seen the Green Force canisters, and they certainly look long enough to me.

I've got a greenforce light with flexi 2 battery pack and i can route a hose under it if i wish
Not sure what the issue is there

That's a good question. I'll tighten up and see what happens this weekend.

I guess no-one has bothered the try the Expensive Blue Pocket, which answers my question in any event.

I guess no-one has bothered the try the Expensive Blue Pocket, which answers my question in any event.
I borrowed the blue H pocket for 3mm wetsuit diving, it was OK but expensive. Tucking wasn't that much of a problem for me. Another option for recreational single-tank diving would be a 5' hose (assuming an average sized diver) that wraps the same way but doesn't need to be tucked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom