Looking to buy a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At the risk of being flamed for blatant self promotion, have you checked out the SubGravity H3 Dive Computer powered by Seabear? https://www.sub-gravity.com/product/subgravity-h3-dive-computer/

It has many of the features you have mentioned:

Nitrox/Trimix/CCR
Barometric pressure
Altimeter
Digital tilt compensated compass
Apnea mode
Stop watch
Log book
It doesn't have a flash light, but the color OLED screen is very bright!
Priced at $975

Couple of features you may not have considered much, and they're at odds.

1.) What's the battery life? The newer computers with OLED, color screens, etc..., tend to have shorter battery life, but nicer interfaces.

2.) A nice interface is really good.

Richard.

Couple of features you may not have considered much, and they're at odds.

1.) What's the battery life? The newer computers with OLED, color screens, etc..., tend to have shorter battery life, but nicer interfaces.

2.) A nice interface is really good.

Richard.

I change the battery in my Petrel about once or twice a year... And it's a buy anywhere AA, user replaceable even on a dive boat. Gotta say, battery life has been a non issue, and the interface is as bright and beautiful as they come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added November 1st, 2015 at 11:20 AM ----------

Hey fellow boarders!

Had a few questions on what computer to get. Have a few things I'm truly looking for, and hoping you guys can point me in the right direction of that watch, if it even exists.

I'm doing my Divemaster course in Honduras this winter, so I'm going to need a tip top computer. I'm trying to get a very nice one that will last me a while, not just a beginners only.

There are a lot of bells and whistles that I've looked into with other smart watches, and was trying to get a watch that incorporates most/all of them. Not sure if the watch I want actually exists, but I'm trying to get all the help I can get.

What I'm looking for:

Flash Light (For Cave Diving, and adventuring)

I think this is meant to be a joke, unless you are also including the gas in your mask and wing in your gas planning!

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....Well... No AI yet....
Working on it :wink:

---------- Post added November 1st, 2015 at 08:43 AM ----------

.....You should distinguish between what you want available on the surface which can be relegated to a smart phone and what you want under water....
Not anymore.
Like it or not, there are divers out there that are taking their smartphones underwater and using them as dive computers / digital cameras / navigation aids.

Not anymore.
Like it or not, there are divers out there that are taking their smartphones underwater and using them as dive computers / digital cameras / navigation aids.

I think he was pointing out more the features that are limited to use on the surface rather than saying he shouldn't use a smartphone as a dive computer.

Wow thank you guys all for the feedback! By far one of the fastest and most responses I've received from a post at any forum. Thanks!

The Shearwater looks amazing! Really is an impressive piece of technology. I'm definitely going to keep my eye on it.

I had the impression, when looking for a dive computer, that I would wear it 24/7. Was hoping it would become a new part of me =)

Hence, me asking for all the bells and whistles, to make it more convenient for me topside.I don't think many or any of you where the Petrel out to dinner haha.

It is a great device and is going on the top of my list, but as of right now I'm looking for a computer that can hide in plain sight as a watch.

Thanks again guys!

I'm still perusing if you guys have any other recommendations.

I doubt a dive master doing guide work & such is going to want a dive computer the size of a smart phone in an underwater case. That makes a console unit sound small.

A watch style computer may seem convenient, but you'll have a fairly expensive device on your wrist much of the time (assuming you're not a 'watch person' & wear expensive watches anyway), and you'll be running the battery down a bit faster.

If you want a watch-style AI computer that doesn't have a GUI interface but shouldn't burn through batteries super fast, the Oceanic Atom 3 might work?

Oh, it seems the past couple of years Oceanic's tended to have a 'free transmitter deal' around Black Friday, if memory serves? So if you buy one, don't buy it quite yet.

Richard.

I had the impression, when looking for a dive computer, that I would wear it 24/7. Was hoping it would become a new part of me =)

Hence, me asking for all the bells and whistles, to make it more convenient for me topside.

Yeah, I never understood this... I mean, you CAN put a high end dive computer's functionality into something the size of a watch, but it ends up costing more than a great computer and a nice watch combined, and it significantly compromises the function of the dive computer.

When shopping for a BC, I never think "hmmmm... this one is OK for diving, but can I also wear it out to dinner?"

:D

So now we've moved from dreaming to reality, although I own a Petrel and love it, I'll throw out having a look at a Heinrichs Weikamp OTSC Sport. I've owned a HW computer before, nice computers and good people. Has almost none of the features you wanted on your wish list but as s dive computer it's very nice and a little cheaper and smaller than a Petrel and aimed squarely at recreational diving.

I would look at the XDeep Black BT. It has a very bright display and small size, rechargeable battery and USB downloadable log files, and the digital compass supports multiple waypoints including reversing your course. I believe that it has a number of the features that you are looking for, and is fairly inexpensive without having to pay for full trimix right off the bat, because it is firmware upgradeable to support EANx and Trimix. With the EANx FW upgrade, you get the multi-gas deco capability.

I recently bought one to upgrade from a Galileo Luna with both the PMG and Trimix modules. I dive with several guys with the Shearwater DCs. Most after looking at my xDeep Black with EANx love it and some even mentioned regretting buying the latest Shearwater instead of buying the xDeep Black. Below is a link to look at the DC manual:
http://www.xdeep.eu/files/manuals/xdeep_black_bt_manual_en.pdf
As a disclaimer, I'm not a dealer or afiliated in any way with either xDeep or the reseller below, I'm just including these links for your ease of reference:
https://www.tecdivegear.com/scuba-d...black-scuba-diving-bottom-timer-computer.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom