Lost SMB and Finger reel at Dutch Springs today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can someone please fill me in regarding deployment of an SMB at Dutch? I am unfamiliar with the issue here?

perhaps its because I am from OZ and thus everything is upside down compared to you guys (globally speaking) :D

Dutch Springs employs safety observers to monitor the dive park and respond to emergencies. I personally let one of them know when I will be using a SMB to avoid someone thinking there is a diver in distress.

perhaps its because I am from OZ and thus everything is upside down compared to you guys (globally speaking) :D

Peter, I heard that in OZ the SMBs are filled with mercury so they sink and anchor you to the wreck...

I also practice shooting bags on a regular basis at Dutch. I don't notify anyone, and they've never responded as though there were an emergency. I think they understand that people are going to be practicing this skill.

I checked with lost and found this morning at Dutch Springs and no luck. I am guessing its gone. It was a nice day for diving there today.

Beautiful day diving at Dutch, but no luck. Sorry.

Peter, I heard that in OZ the SMBs are filled with mercury so they sink and anchor you to the wreck...

Funny you should say that as mine has lead in it. Now I thought it was to make it stand up straight, but now you have me thinking, if I put enough lead in it I could use it as an underwater wreck marking SMB (me is :dork2:)

---------- Post added July 21st, 2013 at 12:38 PM ----------

I think near the schoolbus. Was hoping to get to practice deploying it but it escaped from my BC and swam away.
If you found it or find it, please PM me.

Will keep an eye out at OZ just in case low drag, high speed fish brings it my way. Oh and on that note, anyone seeing a bulgy eyed grouper with a brand new mask on it has my authority to detain such fish and recover my mask "Thank You". Lost it at Sipidan.

I poked around the bus, the little boat, under the platforms and surrounding area, but no luck :(

I poked around the bus, the little boat, under the platforms and surrounding area, but no luck :(

Thanks for that. It is either swimming with the fishes or swimming with another diver. I will have to pick up another one to practice with eventually.

I have mine on a clip along with a spool which is clipped on my bottom D ring left side. I prefer all floaty things to not be in my pockest and if I have to have them there, then have them on a lead and clip anyway to minimise the chance of loss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom