Mach V and Hammerhead BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are some pics and measurements of the 18# Razor and the 30# Mach V:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2348021&postcount=71
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2152915&postcount=19

As said the 30# may be better for use with steel tanks. Also when using thicker exposure protection or drysuits you may find it beneficial to have a bit of extra capacity. Even if the 18# has enough lift to be usable in these situations you may find that it doesn't float you very high at the surface. On the other hand it might, I havn't tried it myself. I personally like inflating my 30# Mach V all the way and laying back on my own personal mini life raft. You can't do that with a Jacket ;-)

If you plan on diving with steel tanks then I would probably go with the 30# wing. I personally try to avoid steel tanks when diving with a thin wetsuit because they make me rather negative. If you are going to be diving steel tanks with a bp/w and a thin wetsuit then you will probably want to get the lightest bp/sta combo that you can. I would recommend either an aluminum bp (a little over 1# negative) or if you want to spend a bit more money the DSS Kydex plate that Tobin sells (0.7# negative) . For an STA I would go with the aluminum 2 piece that Aggir Brok makes, it costs about $80 w/ SS cam bands which isn't bad if you need the cam bands. This will not be enough weight when using aluminum tanks but if you aren't a very bouyent person to begin with it should be plenty when diving the heavier steel tanks. The #2 STA HH has allows me to not need a weight belt with aluminum tanks, but I would prefer to minimize my weight when diving with heavy steel tanks.

If you decide to go with a 30# wing I highly recommend the Mach V wing. It is a sweet little wing.

~Jess

Paul,

I ordered the Mach V #40. Hopefully it will be at my doorsteps tomorrow afternoon or anytime this week. I can show it to you when you're in Davao.

partridge:
Patrick:

I am stuck deciding between a 18 and 30#. What exactly do you mean when you say the 30 # wing gives you more flexibility? I am strictly a warm water diver. 3mm max, most of the time less. Al 80 or 95.

Also, have you had many punctures on a razor wing? Your website says if I am tough on my gear then I should get the signature with a bladder. Dont know how rough I am.

Lastly, I have been told that because of its design, the Mach V does not look any bigger than the Razor 18. Any comments from anyone?

Thanks to all

Paul

Never dove steel and never plan to. Dont even think Ive seen them here in the Philippines.

Splitlip and JessH, Would your opinion change knowing the above?

I just want to get the smallest wing I need. Dont want the wing to hide my beer designed body.

cjv: finally a scubaboard member in my neck of the woods. I will take you up on that but I am hardly ever in Davao.

partridge:
Never dove steel and never plan to. Dont even think Ive seen them here in the Philippines.
If you aren't going to use steel, a thick wetsuit or a drysuit then the 18# should work great. I was actually just thinking about how great the 18# Razor would go with a Mark Meadows backplate. No STA required, just two cam bands and maybe a couple of bolts of some sort to secure the wing to the plate. If you don't want to use a weightbelt then just throw some weight on the cam bands.

This is the bp I am talking about: http://www.golemgear.com/pc-73-2-low-profile-mark-meadows-backplate.aspx
never actually used or seen one myself though.

The reason we assumed steel was because you mentioned 95s. 95s are steel tanks and about 6 pounds heavier than an aluminum 80 when both are empty. The equivilent sized aluminum tanks is an aluminum 100.

~Jess

Oh sorry about that 95 thing. Must be a 90. There are tanks available here that are called super 90. You can fill it up to 3000 psi and they will be 80 cubic and fill it up to 3500 and they are supposed to be 90 cubic.

Leaning heavily towards the 18 unless the Mach V 30 is just about the same size and has other benefits. Anybody?

Also I am leaning towards a BP that uses a STA. This will give me another pound of weight.

partridge:

I have a Faber and a couple of PST 72's that I've been using for doubles. A friend of mine brought in some Worthington tanks as well. Hope to dive Tinoto Wall one of these days.

Cheers/Safe diving.

I am having the same problem - tank hitting head. I have AL HH Backplate with the 2 piece STA. Using a Apeks ATX 200. I have tried everything. My last effort will be to drill additional holes so I can lower the tank.

About that Agir-brokk STA I mentioned. It turns out that its bolts are just barely too large for the holes in the hammerhead backplate. I thought that the bolt size would be standard but I guess not...... I am going to probably just take a drill to the BP.

~Jess

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom