Mares Puck PC Cable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its been 3 years, nobody is going to sell an assembled or part kit for group buys?

If you look at it critically, the amount of time used, the cost of parts, especially a PC board etch and the 2012 USB adapter and a suitable housing and physical setup, the total cost of building one of these adapters is equal to or more expensive than the purchased component from Mares. If one follows any of the plans here, one does it as labour of love if you do it for anyone else but yourself. Then you do not take into account your own time investement. I am not convinced it is possible to produce an adapater such as this in small quantities at a substantial saving compared to the commercial product.

If you look at it critically, the amount of time used, the cost of parts, especially a PC board etch and the 2012 USB adapter and a suitable housing and physical setup, the total cost of building one of these adapters is equal to or more expensive than the purchased component from Mares. If one follows any of the plans here, one does it as labour of love if you do it for anyone else but yourself. Then you do not take into account your own time investement. I am not convinced it is possible to produce an adapater such as this in small quantities at a substantial saving compared to the commercial product.

I agree that for the time and trouble it really isn't worth the effort but it's whole lot of fun!

However, if you talking about actual costs.. parts from China are ridiculously cheap nowadays!

Here's what I paid when ordering parts mostly from aliexpress:
CP2012 breakout board ~USD$2
Prototyping board ~USD$10 for 20, or USD$0.50 for 1
Resistors ~USD$4 for 600, or less than USD$0.05 for 5
Diode ~USD$5 for 120, or less than USD$0.05 for 1
Capacitors ~USD$4 for 300, or less than USD$0.02 for 1
CMOS NAND gate ~USD$0.40
low power LED ~USD$0.10 for the pair

The total is way less than $5 USD and the prices all include shipping! For that price i'm sure anyone can order the parts directly (except for the custom PCB), so why would anyone be interested in a parts kit group buy? :D

The total is way less than $5 USD and the prices all include shipping!

The price of the part used is less than $US5 but the actual cost is about $US25. Then there is cable, clip, box, and other sundry hardware.

The cable linked above just works for about $US50, and is small, 'finished' and plugs on easily.

I make a lot of my own thinks, including my O2 analyzer. but this is just not worth it and in my opinion the end result is not as functional.

I'm not a regular poster here, and I know this thread is older than the dinosaurs, however I would like to thank the original poster as well as everyone else who posted info on this thread!! just built my cable in a few minutes, doesn't look that good but works perfectly.
The most complicated thing is how to build the connection to the dive computer, guess a bit of tape and 2 stripped wires will do for now :D. Again, thanks alot guys!!!

Mares puck Pro wrist computer
Diode: BAT85
USB-UART: cp2104 miniek from silicon labs
NAND IC: 74hc132B1

tc!

First of all thank you guys for your great RE-work!
I plan to build a cable, too, but I still have a question:
The schematic does not show how the power-pin of the CP2102 should be connected. I assume it should just be connected to the Vcc-pin of the Schmitt Trigger. Is that right?

The schematic does not show how the power-pin of the CP2102 should be connected. I assume it should just be connected to the Vcc-pin of the Schmitt Trigger. Is that right?
Yes. 3.3v out from CP2102 goes directly to Vcc-pin of the Schmitt Trigger.

That was a quick reply, thanks Andrew :D
Are there any other connections which are not shown in the schematics but which must be established (except for connecting all GNDs)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom