mares quattros or scubapro jets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dd500psi

Reaction score
:confused: Fin selection: this has probably been already address somewhere but anyway. Have narrowed down my fin selection to the mares avanti quattros and the scubapro jets. any comments would be appreciated.

I suggest you look again at USD Blades. They are very similiar to Quatros but can be had for $30.00 on e-bay.

Do you have the opportunity to try both of them out before buying (i.e. borrow from a friend or something)....that would be my suggestion

The smaller your fins, the better off you will probably be.

Scuba is not freediving. All that you really want your fins to do is help you to hover and maneuver.

Turtle fins or ScubaPro jetfins should be fine, or any comparable small fin.

Somewhat new to the dive realm, and am working on proper lingo as well as everything else, so my appologies for this.

When I see freediving and scuba...
Is the freediving reference just like snorkling or swimming around w/o bc, tank and gear?

Thanks for your patients.

-John

will fit into a carryon bag and allows me to not have to check any dive gear when traveling.

JButla once bubbled...
Somewhat new to the dive realm, and am working on proper lingo as well as everything else, so my appologies for this.

When I see freediving and scuba...
Is the freediving reference just like snorkling or swimming around w/o bc, tank and gear?

Thanks for your patients.

-John
To answer your question: Freediving is most simply defined as breath-hold diving. It can be like snorkling (although some freedivers would strongly disagree, I'm not one who sees a difference between snorkling and feediving) where people do a breath hold and a shallow dive. Or it can be like the big boys like Pipin who just broke the world record at 170 meters ( @ 558 feet) on one breath.
There is specialized gear for this as in all things. Freedivers use a much longer fin for propulsion from the depths. Hence the reference to long and short fins (ie: scuba fins). I use a beauchat (sp?) fin which measures about 3ft long foot pockets and all.
Hope this helped.

thanks a lot.
That clarified it for me.
-J

I have both and both are great fins. The quatros are faster and the jets have better control. If it was an either or situation I would definately get the jets.

Not necessarily so.

There is a big difference in the blade size of the XL Jetfin and all the other sizes. The XL Jetfin is much larger and the control that it provides is far superior to the smaller blades of the same model.

DeepTechScuba once bubbled...
The smaller your fins, the better off you will probably be.

Scuba is not freediving. All that you really want your fins to do is help you to hover and maneuver.

Turtle fins or ScubaPro jetfins should be fine, or any comparable small fin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom