Memorial: Three Divers Pass Away on the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prayers and condolences to the family

A couple years ago some of us from SB went down to the Keys for a dive trip and used Scuba Do. I have to say from my experience with them, which was two days of diving, they are a top notch operation.

My condolences to the families of all involved.

Edit: I just checked out their webpage and it looks like different folks running the boat from when i was there.

Wow, this news is very depressing to hear. My sympathies go out to the family and friends of the divers.

As Jersey wreck divers, I have to assume they knew what they were doing. I guess sometimes there are hidden risks we don't think about when diving.

Monroe County Sheriff's Office
Daily Crime and Information Report

March 16, 2007

Three die diving on the Spiegel Grove

Key Largo - Three divers are dead today after diving the wreck of the Spiegel Grove off of Key Largo.

Four men were diving together off of the commercial dive vessel Scuba-do. They were reportedly advanced certified divers, intending to perform a penetration dive of the wreck when something apparently went wrong.

One of the divers was stationed at the entrance and the other three went inside. The one left outside the wreck began to run out of air, according to detectives, so he surfaced safely. Two divers from another boat went down to look for the others. They surfaced with one diver who was in distress. That diver was taken on board a Coast Guard vessel where Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation was performed all the way into shore. Paramedics met the boat and transported the victim to Mariner's Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The two other divers did not surface and initial searches of the area failed to locate them. Just after 2 p.m., a dive team from Key Largo Fire Rescue that was searching the wreck located their bodies inside the wreck. According to detectives, the bodies are so deep inside, it will be extremely difficult to recover them. More divers from that team will be deployed to the wreck Saturday and will make another attempt at recovery.

Sheriff's Detective Mark Coleman is investigating the incident. Names of the divers are not being released pending notification of next of kin.

Did you not read the TOS for this forum?

This is really sad news. My condolences to the family.

My deepest sympathy for the friends and family

Mike Edmonston:
DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!

This is my back yard AGAIN! It seems like every week we lose 1 or 2 divers. This really pains me.

My condolenses to the families.

Mike

You got it right, Mike. My backyard too. In fact I was diving today just north of there. My prayers to their families and friends.

Back
Top Bottom