Memorial: Three Divers Pass Away on the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very sad news, my condolences go out to the friends and family of these divers.

The sad reality is that these deaths may only serve to increase interest in diving the SG. In the mid to late 90's the increases in fatalities on Everest only fueled more interest in summiting the mountain.
It is sometimes in our nature to seek out and conquer that which may in fact conquer us. I doubt many would dive the SG if it lay in ten feet of water.
Do your homework.
Know your risks.
Make your choices.

RIP fellow divers.

So sorry to hear about the deaths, my thoughts are with family and friends.

The strange thing is one of the guys just happened to mention the SG this morning, asked if I'd ever heard of it. When I told him I had he said he served as a radio operator on her (high speed something maybe?). He was asking if people were allowed to go inside. The weird thing is that conversation was probably about the time the incident happened....eerie!
Ber

Deepest condolences to all family and friends of the deceased divers. For those present at the time of this tragedy, try not to beat yourself up with all the woulda, coulda, shouldas and the what ifs.
I've been present for that long boat ride in with an unsuccessful rescue attempt and I know how shocking and traumatic it can be for you. It helps to talk about it amongst
yourselves and people who have had similar experiences. I know that some of you
have been on this board reading the posts and I would like to extend my hand to
anyone who may need someone to talk to. Pm me if you would like to talk privately.

Terri McDonald
PADI DM #178528

Heartfelt condolences to family and friends. Many thanks to those that quickly assisted on the scene.

Derek S:
...........[snip]............. Advanced or no, wreck is an overhead environment, just like caves.
........[snip]..........

Overhead?? Yes. Just like caves? No!!

Wrecks can be much more hazardous than caves. Caves don't have sharp steel, Hanging cables and wires.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom