Miflex HP and Bursting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a dive instructor and a dealer I both dive with one and have seen them blow.

Currently xs scuba will exchange any of the older versions for the newer ones with hose protectors. Any failure that I have seen was caused by stress at the seam of the valve. If anyone has seen something else please elaborate.

As with any hose, stress at this joint tends to be the leading cause of failure and can usually be avoided by proper handling and storage. I would also suggest using gear retainers or properly placed retractors. The down side with these hoses is that there is no warning before failure. With conventional hoses a bubble may form giving you an indication when it is going to fail. If you are concerned I would certainly bring a backup.

...Currently xs scuba will exchange any of the older versions for the newer ones with hose protectors. Any failure that I have seen was caused by stress at the seam of the valve. If anyone has seen something else please elaborate...

I just phoned XS-Scuba and was told that they only replace hoses that are actually damaged. Can you elaborate on replacement and the hose protectors?

I am gearing up for a Tec dive tomorrow and I checked my O2 bottle and sure enough, a HP Miflex hose failure, on the male end, at the fitting. It only had 1 pool dive on it. I called XS direct and they just gave me a RA number and said they would like to take a look at it. Its going out first thing in the morning.

The best thing to do with the miflex HP hoses is to place them firmly in the trash.

I totally agree, they are absolute junk and not safe. I'll attempt to Dremel my fitting in half to better demonstrate what I said in this thread. This problem is in addition to the bursting failure, there is just no reason to dive one of these, and the worst part is that from what I can tell Miflex is doing nothing about it.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/359480-how-miflex-hp-ruined-my-dive.html

That last post rather gives the lie to "they only fail at the obvious weak point, and then only after abuse".

I was contemplating getting them for myself and a dive school, but having read this thread I will steer very clear of them. A shame - it was a good idea, but apparently imperfectly executed.

Miflex HP hoses are the obvious solution to a non-problem. Engineers/ inventors have to eat too.

True, but they should strive for surf and turf, not a roadkill sandwich. The engineers at Phantom did it right with their kevlar reinforced HP hoses, I replaced my Miflex with that. It behaves like a normal hose, same diameter, the gauge turns normally, and it has a correct swage fitting.

I don't know why more people haven't heard of the Phantom HP hose. All the benefits of MiFlex and safe to boot! :D

I just phoned XS-Scuba and was told that they only replace hoses that are actually damaged. Can you elaborate on replacement and the hose protectors?

if you mail Miflex Uk and order the "shock absorbers" they will mail free of charge, Im in NZ and they sent me some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom