Movie: Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i'll admit i'm a beginner diver if anything (4 dives) but i really enjoyed the movie. granted the acting wasn't great but here's what i did like.
the videography - lots of still cameras in the various sets...i liked it...not a typical blockbuster movie with four different moving cameras
the plot - up to the point where they were left...based on fact...

i felt the movie was made rather realistically...especially for those people that have never dove. watching the movie confirmed at least how my first four dives went as well...the instructions being given as you are headed to the dive site, the subtle jokes, etc.
also i was happy to see there weren't any 17 ft. great whites that bit them in half like i was expecting from a hollywood dive-based movie.
i'm curious as to why you all thought the movie sucked so bad...would it be for the same reason that fighter pilots would hate top gun? (lack of reality)

I like Top Gun, but I'm no fighter pilot. And I didn't think Open Water was all that bad either.

sodaking663rd:
i'm curious as to why you all thought the movie sucked so bad...would it be for the same reason that fighter pilots would hate top gun? (lack of reality)

I thought it was literally the worst movie I've ever seen... and I even like cheap-@ss horror flicks! I would try to tell you lots of specifics, but, well, I've really tried to remove any memories of the flick from my memory.

The acting wasn't only bad, it was HORRIFIC! (especially before they got in the water). I was embarassed to be watching it. While they were on the boat, I thought I was watching some cheap PADI movie of "what not to do before a dive." Come on, that was inexcusibly bad.

Then there was the water. The guy got bit a few times, but the sharks (which were VERY numerous) seemed to stop attacking him when he was bleeding like a mad man. Yet, after he died, didn't they really come back and finish the job.

Instead of "what did you find wrong" questions, why don't we ask, "what was marginally okay with the film?"

- ChillyWaters

what about the bedroom sex scene?
Bad acting there? =P

So that's what they were doing in the bedroom scene. It's been so long I didn't recognize the activity (sigh).

We finally rented this movie last weekend. It was the worst movie I have ever sat through. Maybe the low bugdet director could offer a refund. There were so many bad sceens. This movie could be used as an example what scuba isn't.

Avic7:
what about the bedroom sex scene?
Bad acting there? =P
"Sex scene"? I seem to remember more of a, "not tonight dear I have a headache", scene.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom