Movie: Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hee hee hee you guys are funny :)
Sean is a good friend, I'm just giving him a hard time. Backpeddling not necessary...

Although, average? unmemorable? I'll have to try harder :)

I never backpedal. Plus Andrea is just trying to dig me into a hole for fun. It's all in good humor. And Andrea, I could never forget you. Far too many good adventures.

Avic7:
Finally someone saying something good about the movie!

The boat captain that the movie was based on lost his boat and his business. The couple that the movie was based on was never recovered. Some of their gear was found when it washed up on shore weeks or months later.

It was definitely a B movie as far as drama and acting went.

For non-divers it served as a slow, somewhat boring horror show, due to the shark scenes. Virtually all non-divers are horrified of sharks, no matter how small the sharks are.

For divers, it did not have enough underwater scenery in it, nor enough resort based partying, to be entertaining. What you saw was 2 work-burned-out people in a troubled relationship. Not fun. The nudity was uncalled for and did not add anything to the film either.

If you are a diver, and you are planning a resort dive trip, it is a good film to rent and watch once so that you do not make any of the couple's mistakes. One mistake was travelling alone as a couple, rather than with a group from a local store. Another mistake was keeping to themselves rather than being more outgoing on the boat and making their presence known to the DM and the others. Yet another major mistake was separating from the group underwater rather than staying with the divemaster. They also did not have any signalling gear with them, like a light of some sort.

Sure, it will be boring for divers to watch it. But you can learn something from it.

It's probably a good thing for the diving industry that the movie did not work out, or else there might now be even more shark hysteria than that already caused by Jaws 1, 2, 3 etc.

The worst movie I ever saw was Fried Green Tomatoes. Forced to choose, I would watch any other movie again besides Fried Green.

:05: Awwwwwww! Gee thanks!
And yes, it was all in fun.

bcsean:
I never backpedal. Plus Andrea is just trying to dig me into a hole for fun. It's all in good humor. And Andrea, I could never forget you. Far too many good adventures.

Having seen the film I must agree that it lacked a lot, I say this even though my best friend Cristina (Linda, lady who drove the boat) was in it. Personally if that was me I would have sorted out my direction back to land by checking the sun and my watch and found north. I would also have had my whistle and safety sausage with me if in the event of a boat going by, plus I would not have just waited.
I did my Dm in Oz, Coral bay on the west coast and we always had at least a minimum of 5 roll calls on a 2 dive boat trip. We were reminded about space on the boat and each customer had their own bags for their/our gear AND AND AND WE ALWAYS HAD A SPARES BAG, I know this as whilst checking our customers in I forgot to load my bag up and had to use the spare bag. It also cost me a couple of rounds in the pub later that evening!
Even Cristina didn't give me much feedback on the film!

I know of a similar thing that happend in Zanzibar 2 years ago..
An insructor and a student got lost and drifted for 2 days..
Finaly a fisherman discovered them.
Italk to the instructor last year and he was still pretty impressed by it..

triton94949:
If you are a diver, and you are planning a resort dive trip, it is a good film to rent and watch once so that you do not make any of the couple's mistakes. One mistake was travelling alone as a couple, rather than with a group from a local store.
Why is travelling alone a mistake?

triton94949:
Another mistake was keeping to themselves rather than being more outgoing on the boat and making their presence known to the DM and the others.
What is wrong with being quiet and introverted? It is not the diver's job to announce their presence to the world. Yes, they should make their presence known to the DM and Captain, but, it is still the DM's or Captain's responsibility to keep track of their passengers.

triton94949:
Yet another major mistake was separating from the group underwater rather than staying with the divemaster.
Why? Don't bother answering this one. There are enough threads on the topic of following the DM and the roll of the DM, dive plans, etc.

Bill.

I have to say...I'm with you Bill :)

Lightning Fish:

What is wrong with being quiet and introverted? It is not the diver's job to announce their presence to the world. Yes, they should make their presence known to the DM and Captain, but, it is still the DM's or Captain's responsibility to keep track of their passengers.

Why? Don't bother answering this one. There are enough threads on the topic of following the DM and the roll of the DM, dive plans, etc.

Bill.

Lightning Fish:

Bill.

When you travel with a dive group, someone has your name on a list.
When you are not travelling with a dive group, you need to make your presence known on the boat.
When you have done neither of the above, you definitely need to stay with the D/M.

3 strikes or more an you are otta here.

That is precisely why it is a good movie to rent before your next dive trip. :)

Back
Top Bottom