My dive buddy startles me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

'hey moe! hey moe!' hee hee hee hee...

Well my dive buddy AKA " My Wife" keeps grabbing my BC, hands, tank ect. while underwater. I have pushed her away a time or two because she startles me & I can't move or keep us both neutrally buoyant. I can't tell if she just doesn't want to get lost or if she is having a problem or maybe she just wants to be with her hubby, I don't know. That has been her reasoning in the past. Is it rude of me to not want to be hung on while trying not to drown? Has anyone ever had this problem?

That is what your dive knife is for :rofl3: on the other hand :no:

It wouldnt seem to be the case here, but there are times I will simply tap my dive buddy's arm (my father btw) once or twice when were heading into deeper water or towards an area which I know both of us might be wary about, for example a very ominous rowboat we have on the bottom around here. Usually it provides some level of comfort for both him, and admittably, myself. Although sometimes if my dive buddy seems to get distracted by something when I am needing to signal them something, I will also tap their forearm (no tank banger in my arsenal yet) so I can tell them what needs to be told.

I do find it interesting that you said diving for you was "trying not to drown", I tend to describe my diving experiences as "Kick ASS!" or "Like flying through the water" or "So thats what a fish feels like..."

Happy Diving! And just reassure her that you are there for her BEFORE the dive, so she can think back to that during the dive. Also, try to maintain a higher frequency of eye contact if you know she is nervous, it'll do wonders for you guys.

maybe???----she's trying to 'grab' something else --& is just missing.....

----------------as someone else said, talk to her....

Maybe try a bungee cord. You hold one end she holds the other. Don't clip it to your BC, both of you hold each end in your hand so you can drop it quickly in case of trauma. I think a 60 inch bungee works well. This is a good way to stay in contact with out hanging on to each other. I have found this works well when diving with someone who is still a little nervous about being underwater, especially in low vis. Just my opinion.

Thanks for your input. My wife actually likes to dive more than I. I think she grabs me more out of wanting to play, or wants me to show her attention. Our last dive she grabbed my arms and wanted a kiss. I guess I am the one that is more concerned about where I am, whats there to see, whats going on, whats happening, how much air I have left, instead of playing. I feel out of control when I am being held on to. Maybe I should loosen up a little.

Where are you two doing these dives?

Once you and your wife speak about this issue, and you explain to her how these things make you feel out of control, maybe she'll give you some space.

0-24 dives? I am not surprised that you're still a bit nervous while diving. Nothing wrong with it, either. Diving more is really the best solution for your own comfort level.

Come out on the boat with Lake Travis Scuba - get some time under water with experienced divers and you'll be surprised how fast you start feeling more comfortable.

We have a dive club dive tomorrow @ Mansfield Dam @ 630pm as well. Lots of very experienced people will be there and are happy to help you out.

Good luck...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom