My first mk5 ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have got a very nice reg. I own four MK5 and six 109-156 seconds (I converted all of them to BA with S-wing poppets).
Your first stage is a MK9, a version without the swivel turret. It is considered safer than the MK5, as there are fewer part and one dynamic O-ring less. A very nice 1st stage, probably the best piston 1st stage ever built.
it can be serviced with kits for the MK5 or the MK10, which are easily available at reasonable costs.
For the second stage, if it is not already converted to BA, you can keep it unbalanced, but please mount a new "duro" poppet on it. This will allow to change the seat each year (and these seats are inexpensive and quite common). If the first stage is properly serviced, the IP will be very stable, and you do not need really a balanced second.
However, as said, I converted all my 109s to BA. Why not having the best reg ever built?
Here a link to more info on these 109 poppets. VDH has spare parts and conversion kits for these regs, or you can ask Buddhasummer for specific parts:
Dropbox - Scubapro poppet changes.pdf - Simplify your life

Here the MK5 service kit at VDH:
Store | Vintage Double Hose

Here the Duro poppet for 109:

Here the BA conversion kit with S-wing poppet:

You can also find most of these parts on Ebay, typically from Italy, Germany or Austria.
And you can use service kits for more modern regs, as most parts are compatible. For example, MK10 for first stage, G250/G260 for second.

It's not a MK5, it's a MK9, for me the quite nicest SP 1st. Congrats! It's relatively rare, because it was sold only in the year '83. in '84 the MK10 came on the market with it's classical turret.
The 2nd is a 109, you can identify it by the particular adjustment knob.
If you want to check, if it has been already upgraded to a BA, take off the 2nd from the hose and look through the orifice onto the LP seat below.
If you see a hole in the LP seat, it's a BA (modified), if there is no hole in the LP seat, then it's the original configuration.....
Good luck with it.
Just in case you would prefer a 5 LP Port MK5 with DIN connector, I would be gladly swapping it with you for the MK9 ( I have already a couple of them, but I love their shape)....:)

Its got nice curves,doesnt it, and the top lp port makes it good for stage bottles

oh and either buy yourself a piston bullet and a poly or plastic oring puller or get it professionally serviced or another first stage will get all scratched up with a nuub trying to pull the high pressure oring for the first stage body, and i support
Angelo Farina

keep it a duro poppet if you are going to self service way less headaches and chances of disaster with a rotated ba poppet

So does anyone have any suggestions to where I could get this serviced? are there any people well versed that I could mail it do and have the upgrades done? I’m interested in doing it myself but don’t have any of the tools yet, but more importantly don’t have access to tanks which would be important towards getting it all tuned correctly...

You'd be lucky to get it serviced here and if by some slim chance you could, you'd better have a kidney for sale.

Message me Dan, we'll get it done.

You'd be lucky to get it serviced here and if by some slim chance you could, you'd better have a kidney for sale.

spit.gif
You owe me a keyboard Simon....

Message me Dan, we'll get it done.
Unfortunately that’s what I was thinking as well. They most likely wouldn’t do it, and even if they did it wouldn’t be worth it.

I’ll send you a message tomorrow, thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom