My very first rebreather...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:wacko: So Todd is MIA? Did Jeff work him over so badly that he ran off?:D

Apropos of nothing at all that's being discussed, does anyone know what happened to FinsWake? He's been missing for some time now!

Cheers, folks! :D

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...
:wacko: So Todd is MIA? Did Jeff work him over so badly that he ran off?:D

Apropos of nothing at all that's being discussed, does anyone know what happened to FinsWake? He's been missing for some time now!

Cheers, folks! :D

Hi all:

Thanks much for asking. I just got back from Los Angeles late last night, and am pretty much exhausted.

Sadly, Murphy took the class with me, so I have to go back and spend some more time with Jeff :( . More details to follow...

Todd.

caveseeker7 once bubbled...

Hi Todd,
I was wondering how things are going. Did you finish the training with Jeff?
How is the rig holding up? Had a good time in SoCal?
Hope all's well
Stefan

Hello:

I think that I have sufficiently recovered to actually write about my training experiences. To the kind individuals who sent private messages, well, thank you.

There were two other students in my class–one diving a Mk-15.5 and the other a PRISM. Between the three of us, we made an ideal student (my only contribution would be the academics).

Speaking of which, the first two days of the class were dedicated to academics, which were extensive and exhausting. Fortunately, I was well prepared so this part actually went really well for me, though I had to spend some time "translating" the proper equations into "Todd-equations."

The next three days were dedicated to getting the rig ready to dive. Tools are not my friends, and never was this more evident than during this class. The rig needed some love, as it had mostly been untouched for twenty-three years. Let me put it this way, I know the route between Jeff's house and Steam Machines by heart. Peter and Sharon, at Steam Machines, were a life-saving source of support–emergency batteries (as mine did not fit), new absorbent pads (lost, but later found), new secondary display meter, new hoses, new DSV and more new hoses, a part of the electronics pod that obviously had feet and walked away in a huff, a giant piece of rubber (more on this later),...

I think you get the idea.

At this point, I should mention that an *average* day for me during this class was in the sixteen hour vicinity.

The next three days were my fault and only my fault. I assembled the rig incorrectly, and thus spent seventy-two hours from hell fighting carbon dioxide hits in the water. I finally figured out that I omitted a piece from the puzzle (see rubber reference above) and that I was allowing some of the gas to bypass the scrubber. I would really rather not go into details here, but suffice it to say that my experiences were unpleasant, to say the least. The best thing that happened was that a hose completely gave at the beginning of a dive, but the unit did not flood. Oh, and I flooded the battery but not the electronics–orings work much better in the appropriate groove than at the bottom of the battery pod.

Now I am one day over the normal run for the course, and I have two dives to my credit. Jeff and I headed over to Catalina, the day starting at five in the morning, which is when I typically think that I only have five hours left to sleep :) . We got two dives in Catalina before I just gave out from exhaustion. The third dive lasted two mistakes and two minutes before I decided to get the hell out of there before I, or the Mk-15, got hurt.

The next day, the last day, I got sick (congested) and there was no way that I was going to finish the class before having to catch my fight home, so I took the day off.

I was unprepared in a lot of ways. It was my first time using a rebreather. It was my first beach dive. It was my first time in cold water. It was my first time wearing that much wet suit, hood, and gloves, it was my first time wearing that much weight, by a huge margin, and it was the first time using a new configuation–new wing(s), bailout (second) in a new place, inflator in a new place running off a stage bottle. Plus, I was stressed, so other fun things happened like my mask constantly leaking (bought a new one but no help) and wasting a whole lot of gas. If everything else would have gone smoothly, I would have had my hands more than full. Where I was not unprepared, I was underprepared, and the effects after a time, added up to way more than I could handle. My fault.

Jeff throughout all of this was patient and wonderful. I cannot say enough good things about him and about the class.

There were some good things that came out of the class. I had a great attitude and no matter what happened, I just kept working. I learned a ton, and easily passed the two tests. And I had one moment in Catalina of total and complete peace, when I understood that one day this would all be worthwhile. I learned to assemble and disassemble ninety percent of the unit, and will get the other ten percent with Kevin in the spring.

I leave again in a eight days to hopefully finish the class, and I hope that I have better experiences to report.

Thank you again for your advice and kind support.

Todd.

It will all be worth it in the end:) I think its a good thing to have experienced the problems you did. You will no doubt have a better understanding of the unit and more respect for it than you would've had everything been flawless. Congrats and enjoy your next trip.

... it's an adventure !

Thanks for the post, Todd, what a trip ... :wacko:

Sorry to hear the rig didn't work quite as well as hoped for. You got lucky with the location, having Peter fairly close by comes in handy when having MK problems.

Good to get feedback on Jeff's training, I only know him socially and want to do the Prism training with him ... one of these days. :rolleyes:

You really had a full plate just due to the new location, congrats on getting as far as you did considering all the problems you described.
Mike made a good point about the relation of flaws and complacency.
Good luck with the next trip and the remainder of the training

Stefan

Thanks for the post, Todd, what a trip ... :wacko:

Todd,

As Stefan said, "It's not a trip, it's an adventure"!!! =-)

We've all have sessions like that! Glad you're back! I know you learned a lot in a short time!

Cheers!:wink:

BJD

Great Instructor!!!!:wacko:

So after watching his pupil spend 3 16 hour days repairing a dinosaur to get it working he then doesn't watch while he assembles it for its first dive in 23 years :(

He then lets him suffer multiple CO2 hits for 3 days and still doesn't investigate the assemblage of the unit enought to notice a large critical component is missing and O rings elsewhere on the unit are misplaced :rolleyes:

All this while teaching two different RB classes at the same time

mmm personally that doesn't sound like a good Instructor imho

Caveseeker I think you'd be better look elsewhere for your Prism training

Todd, glad your still alive and with us despite all this. At least you know your unit very well now and I bet you can calculate OC bailout requirements real good. Bet your thinking the MK maybe wasn't such a good deal, must of cost more to repair than a new unit. The good news is of course that youve spent the money now and have a great unit that should last you ages

Be very interested to hear more of your hypercapnia, symptoms and how you resolved it during the dive

Todd once bubbled...

The next three days were my fault and only my fault. I assembled the rig incorrectly, and thus spent seventy-two hours from hell fighting carbon dioxide hits in the water. I finally figured out that I omitted a piece from the puzzle (see rubber reference above) and that I was allowing some of the gas to bypass the scrubber.

Todd.

Your fault? It is the instructor's responsibility to make sure that you assemble the rig correctly. After all, that is what you are paying him for. If you had have died and it was later discovered that your rig was put together incorrrectly in a class, I guarantee that he would have been held legally responsible.

Whoa,

I was a bit slow on that. Your unit assembly should have been a joint effort with very descriptive instructions and verification and re-verification of assembly. You assembled this alone? That should not have happened. Madmole is absolutely correct. After 1 co2 episode the unit should have been stripped down and the problem found and resolved. End of Story.

pwfletcher once bubbled...

Your fault? It is the instructor's responsibility to make sure that you assemble the rig correctly. After all, that is what you are paying him for. If you had have died and it was later discovered that your rig was put together incorrrectly in a class, I guarantee that he would have been held legally responsible.

couldn't agree more...

I also believe the unit should have been broken down and re assembled completely more than once.. I don't care how long the scrubber is supposed to last packing is important, the more times you disassemble it the better...

The "hard to breathe" and "head-ache" descriptions are classic CO2 symptoms and should have been immediately realized by the instructor... no excuse..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom