NAUI Advanced vs. PADI Advanced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is not aow a prereq for rescue and surely masterdiver and deep diver so without aow you cant get DM

PADI yes. SSI not sure.

It is not a prereq. for NAUI.
For NAUI: Rescue is actually a specialty class. Only Basic & Advanced are considered in the progression track of recreational. Most others are specialties that you can take after Basic, more or less.

Cavern, Ice, Sidemount, and rec-tec are specialties that require Advanced.
Rescue, Drysuit, Night Diving, and Nitrox do not. They are considered Continuing Education Specialties.

Keep in mind NAUI Basic & PADI Basic diverge in how far they progress their students.
NAUI Basic takes a larger focus in skin diving and basic rescue. So by Rescue class, the only new thing you're learning is controlling a panic diver, searching for a missing diver, and coordinating/taking lead of a rescue effort.
PADI Basic focuses more on diver self-help and doesn't cover buddy rescue at all.

NAUI & PADI Adv required minimum of 6 dives. PADI kinda focuses it like a boyscout badge collection. You can structure your Adv class very specific to your likes and wants. NAUI is a more structured class so you do not get that as much.
SSI requires 25 dives to get Adv.

sources: NAUI Standards & Procedures
courses-chart.jpg

Put Another Dollar In is more widely known and has a ridiculous amount certs for every conceivable underwater activity.Meaning a PADI instructor may have more opportunities to teach.

I'm sure that the fact that 70-75% of all divers are PADI certified has something to do with the fact that PADI instructors have more opportunity to teach than any other.

PS - you might be interested to know that few people offer as many "Certs for Every Occasion" as David Ochs... NAUI's Chairman of The Board. "Jr. Recreational Hookah Diver"? Really?

Ochs.JPG

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of David's approach (he also charges roughly 5x the average price for his courses) but let's not be so silly as to pretend that any agency has sole claim to offering a wide range of certs that meet/create obvious market demand.

---------- Post added March 11th, 2015 at 07:45 AM ----------

NAUI & PADI Adv required minimum of 6 dives.

PADI is 5 Dives.

---------- Post added March 11th, 2015 at 07:49 AM ----------

Assuming I work my way up the NAUI chain to instructor, can I easily get my PADI instructor?

If you intend to "work your way up the NAUI chain" why do you want to be a PADI instructor?

A NAUI instructor can certainly cross-over to PADI. They only have to complete the second-half of the PADI process; ie they don't need to do the Assistant Instructor portion. Whether or not it will be "easy" for any individual candidate is up to the candidate themselves.

have you interviewed either shop/instructor? Its more about the instructor at this stage than anything else (though the student makes a big difference too). Both agencies can produce excellent and horrible trainees. I'd be more intent on finding "who" than "which"...

Another thing to look at. Which agency will let you teach solo. >>>> by that I mean with out being attached to a shop. Hypothetically the nauii is a better cert but there is no nauii shops in area so you cant teach.

Huh?

Both PADI and NAUI allow for independent instructors.

---------- Post added March 11th, 2015 at 07:54 AM ----------

If you go the PADI route and are looking at Rescue Diver or more, why not skip the AOW class, and focus on 5 specialties (deep, peak buoyancy, navigation, plus two of your choice, I'd recommend night as one of them), plus rescue diver? That will save you the costs of the AOW class at least. I think that it would work. I'm just going through my DM program with PADI right now.

Hopefully the PADI DM program will help clarify the various PADI pre-requisites for you.

:d

Hint: You've suggested that the OP take FIVE individual specialty courses in order to save the cost of one AOW course? If saving cost is a motivator, you should know that Rescue Diver can be taken with just Adventure Diver certification, which only requires three Adventure Dives. Divemaster, on the other hand, does require PADI Advanced Open Water certification... so there won't be much savings left if the OP does his AOW after doing the five specialty courses you recommend plus AOW.

Last edited:
I think that I am able to do AOW and Rescue via NAUI and then do my Divemaster via PADI.

$275 for AOW
$275 for Rescue

Tough to beat. Including 6 dives tanks and air in Florida Keys.

Someone asked why I would want to switch to PADI? Simply for commercial purposes if I intend to teach at some point. It will be easier to find a shop that has PADI students vs. NAUI. Atleast in South Florida.

I think that I am able to do AOW and Rescue via NAUI and then do my Divemaster via PADI.

Someone asked why I would want to switch to PADI? Simply for commercial purposes if I intend to teach at some point. It will be easier to find a shop that has PADI students vs. NAUI. Atleast in South Florida.

As a PADI instructor I will offer the advice that there is some value in going through the PADI system enroute to being a PADI DM/Instructor. Do you want the first PADI AOW or Specialty class you ever see to be the first one you are asked to TEACH?

Remember, as with any agency, being a PADI DM or Instructor is not about how well you dive, it's about how well you understand and implement the PADI approach to dive leadership.

When I did my PADI IDC there were several folks crossing over from being instructors with other agencies. They all struggled. Not because they weren't good divers. They simply weren't familiar with "the PADI way" having never seen it before.

If you think you want to teach French... study French. Don't take German for three years and then switch second semester of your Junior year.

. . . the advanced course for NAUI where I live is $275 including tanks, weights and 6 dives. The Advanced course through PADI is $350+ pp. . . . Not sure why I can't find similar deals on the PADI side.
The $275 price seems quite good. I don't know why the price is that low - it might be good to talk with someone who has completed the course. The prices are NOT a reflection of either agency, as much as of the shops that are offering the courses. There are operators in various areas that approach market share simply on the basis of extraordinarily low pricing for courses. In some cases, the diver gets what they pay for - in quality - and in a few instances they get a good product at a remarkably low cost. For the record, a high price doesn't guarantee quality, either. But, I am usually just a bit 'curious' when a course if offered at a distinctly below market price.
Assuming I work my way up the NAUI chain to instructor, can I easily get my PADI instructor?
You can generally cross over between most agencies with reasonable effort (I am not particularly comfortable with 'easily'), albeit with some expense. I am not sure I would pursue Instructor through one agency with the specific intention of crossing over, but perhaps that has worked for some people.///////////////////

As a PADI instructor I will offer the advice that there is some value in going through the PADI system enroute to being a PADI DM/Instructor. Do you want the first PADI AOW or Specialty class you ever see to be the first one you are asked to TEACH?

Remember, as with any agency, being a PADI DM or Instructor is not about how well you dive, it's about how well you understand and implement the PADI approach to dive leadership.

When I did my PADI IDC there were several folks crossing over from being instructors with other agencies. They all struggled. Not because they weren't good divers. They simply weren't familiar with "the PADI way" having never seen it before.

If you think you want to teach French... study French. Don't take German for three years and then switch second semester of your Junior year.

I hear you loud and clear... just can't get around the cost here though given I can reach DM via PADI. Unless I've been told incorrectly. Apparently this teacher has been around for ages and has thousands of dives. Although I have no idea how to find someone who has used him for AOW.

Another thing to look at. Which agency will let you teach solo. >>>> by that I mean with out being attached to a shop. Hypothetically the nauii is a better cert but there is no nauii shops in area so you cant teach.

This is completely false. Instructors from both NAUI and PADI can teach completely independent from a Dive Center.

---------- Post added March 11th, 2015 at 09:59 AM ----------

PS - you might be interested to know that few people offer as many "Certs for Every Occasion" as David Ochs... NAUI's Chairman of The Board. "Jr. Recreational Hookah Diver"? Really?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of David's approach (he also charges roughly 5x the average price for his courses) but let's not be so silly as to pretend that any agency has sole claim to offering a wide range of certs that meet/create obvious market demand.

If there is a Jr. Certification for scuba, Why would there not be a Jr cert for Hookah? I don't see why that is so surprising to you.

Back
Top Bottom