NAUI Advanced vs. PADI Advanced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a PADI AOWD and a CMAS P2 after that (guess why) and then I read NAUI advanced...

I learned a lot during the CMAS lectures and pool sessions. The PADI course that I attended on the other hand was worthless and a waste of money, but provided me with a nice colourfull book suitable for a child. Then I read the NAUI advanced manual and learned a lot. Just my experience. The result may depend on the instructor.

I've been a NAUI instructor for 11 years. Back when I was taking my instructor training I read through the NAUI Advanced Scuba Diver book and thought to myself "I can't charge people money for that" ... and so I wrote my own material. NAUI lets you do that, as long as you cover what they specify must be taught. I cover all the required topics, but in more depth ... with more emphasis on "how to" ... and added some topics, like gas management. I also designed my own in-water curriculum that focuses each dive on specific skills. Again, as long as you cover the stuff NAUI mandates you can add any material you feel justified to the course content. NAUI trusts their instructors to know about local conditions, and what is needed to dive in those conditions, and my Advanced class is designed specifically for people who typically dive in cold water, low vis, and have to deal with large tidal exchanges and frequent current.

That freedom to teach is one of the major benefiits of NAUI ... as is the ability to teach without having to work for a dive shop. The other big advantage is that, unlike PADI OWSI, the NAUI instructor is able to teach a wide variety of specialty classes from the moment they complete their instructor training ... they don't need to take a bunch of extra classes to qualify to teach those. The biggest disadvantage is that you may have to look to other sources for teaching materials ... or do like me and create your own. For example, one of my most popular classes is drysuit specialty. NAUI doesn't even offer training materials for that class ... last time I checked, they suggested I use third-party materials.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added March 11th, 2015 at 07:06 AM ----------

If you go the PADI route and are looking at Rescue Diver or more, why not skip the AOW class, and focus on 5 specialties (deep, peak buoyancy, navigation, plus two of your choice, I'd recommend night as one of them), plus rescue diver? That will save you the costs of the AOW class at least. I think that it would work. I'm just going through my DM program with PADI right now.

... does PADI not still require AOW as a prerequisite to Rescue? I know they used to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added March 11th, 2015 at 07:19 AM ----------

This is completely false. Instructors from both NAUI and PADI can teach completely independent from a Dive Center.

What I've been told by friends who are PADI instructors is that while it's technically true, PADI does not encourage the practice and does not offer some services and support to independent instructors that are available through dive shops. Since I'm not a PADI instructor I can only relate what they've told me.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, if you aren't aware PADI as well as other agencies will let you author any course you develop, just like NAUI. Use the supplied format, add your experience and you've just created a course. Great for the "zero vis, fast current, intro to doubles" diver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob, if you aren't aware PADI as well as other agencies will let you author any course you develop, just like NAUI. Use the supplied format, add your experience and you've just created a course. Great for the "zero vis, fast current, intro to doubles" diver.

... the significant difference in this case is that I don't have to create a new class and charge my students for an additional c-card ... it's part of a class that they already wanted to take ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ya, I guess. Or just include the skills in one class. Totally fine. Also, no negativity in supporting Independent teaching from my experience. Wow, listen to me support the Giant. Sadly, NAUI doesn't have much of a presence in Canada, I wish it did. I new one instructor in 1992. When I did my instructor training, 5 shops, all PADI. One was also ACUC.....then again that was awhile ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Don't know why I'm getting into this discussion other than "Someone is wrong on the interweb.")

There are REAL differences between what a PADI instructor can do with a class/student and what a NAUI instructor can do -- but not as much as it appears on paper.

While a PADI instructor can not add material to a class that "expands the scope of the class" it is not only encouraged, but to an extent required, for a PADI instructor to "elaborate" on the material and in particular when due to local conditions. For what it's worth, after being a PADI instructor for several years, I'm still not exactly sure where "expanding" starts and "elaboration" ends. As Bob does, my AOW (and other classes) includes segments on Gas Management for example -- an "elaboration" on dive planning (crucial part of almost all classes).

To the extent there is a difference is that, as a PADI instructor at the recreational level, I can not make up my own tests of the student's knowledge and understanding and withhold certification for failing that test. OTOH, I can certainly test the student's knowledge and understanding and make sure they are comfortable with the knowledge as part of the class. This is, in lawyer speak, a distinction without a difference IMHO for in either the NAUI or PADI case, the student proves she understands the material.

As far as in-water skills, Bob, for example, has a killer exercise in his AOW program -- one that I do not use, but I could IF I WANTED TO USE IT -- I just couldn't fail a student for not successfully completing it. But, again, I could drill the student on it until it was satisfactory IF I WANTED TO do so. (In fact, the goal of my PADI AOW is different from Bob's AOW which is the primary reason I don't use his exercise.)

As far as being an independent instructor for PADI vs. being associated with a shop -- I don't see any issue or any difference from what I can do from what a NAUI instructor (and as Bob knows, I know several NAUI instructors and have worked with them) can do. The one difference that may exist (and I don't know if it does exist) is that an independent PADI instructor can not teach an Assistant Instructor nor Instructor course. But the only NAUI course directors I know/knew were associated with dive shops so that may be a difference -- perhaps you can be a NAUI CD and not affiliated with a dive shop to teach at the instructor level.

Regarding access to materials -- as an independent I can get them at the same price as the shop. There may be some marketing differences (a PADI instructor I know has complained about this) but that is irrelevant to me.

And so it goes.

Reactions: RJP
If there is a Jr. Certification for scuba, Why would there not be a Jr cert for Hookah? I don't see why that is so surprising to you.

OK then, if that one wasn't silly, then how about "International Diver"

Is not aow a prereq for rescue and surely masterdiver and deep diver so without aow you cant get DM

AOW is not a prerequisite for Rescue.

"Adventure Diver", with the Navigation Adventure Dive is.

Not only that, but an Open Water diver can participate in the class and confined water portions of the Rescue class. They just cannot do the open water portion until the other prerequisites are met.

Last edited:
Austin Powers was student #1.....

Yeah, but do you know what that course COSTS?

762195e1666497074ede151e0cbeb39738a411d967572cbbe24b90cf8db6011f.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom