New BP/W: Halycon or DSS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bossman

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm ordering a new BP/W set up, I'm a newer diver with only 20 dives. I've recently started diving wrecks in the Atlantic and have my sights set on tec once I have more dives under my belt. My new set up will be AL80 singles for now, although I'd probably do better with HP100s (my air consumption is pretty bad in cold water, one of the reasons I'm switching to BP/W is I hope to shave weight and improve trim).

I know both choices are good, and I'm not really worried about the $. Would you go with the Halcyon Eclipse 30 or the DSS rig?

Last edited:
Deep Sea Supply has really terrific customer service - that's worth a great deal to me. I have not had any dealings with Halcyon so I can comment on their customer service.

I'll add my 2 cents:

Halcyon, expensive n pretty good but there're equally good alternatives out there.

DSS one of the better alternatives n much better designed wings than halcyon.

Oxycheq have some of the most if not the most streamline wings out there, matched with a dive rite plate n you got a killer system at a great price.

SangP

I'm ordering a new BP/W set up, I'm a newer diver with only 20 dives. I've recently started diving wrecks in the Atlantic and have my sights set on tec once I have more dives under my belt. My new set up will be AL80 singles for now, although I'd probably do better with HP100s (my air consumption is pretty bad in cold water, one of the reasons I'm switching to BP/W is I hope to shave weight and improve trim).

I know both choices are good, and I'm not really worried about the $. Would you go with the Halycon Evolve 30 or the DSS rig?

You mentioned that you are looking at the evolve 30 or dss. But you also say that you ARE DIVING AN ALUMINUM 80. I am confused. Why would you want an Evolve 30 wing , which is for doubles when you have a single tank?

I love my DSS single tank rig. My very favorite feature is the add-on weight plates. If you're diving in cold water, it really is nice to be able to take 6-8 pounds off your belt.

That said, both rigs are nice, and if you don't need the weight plates, it's not really a selling feature, huh?

I know both choices are good, and I'm not really worried about the $. Would you go with the Halcyon Eclipse 30 or the DSS rig?

As Oscar Wilde once said, "I have very simple tastes; I am always satisfied with the best."

:cool2:

10.111.040-2.jpg

You can read my "mini-review" of the Eclipse at the bottom of this page:
Halcyon Eclipse System at www.DiveSeekers.com w/BONUS: Free MC Storage Pak + Free ACB10 Weight Pockets

Give Wayne or Jason at www.DiveSeekers.com a call at 888-728-2247 and ask them what they might be able to do to hook you up with a rig that's right for you. Tell them you're from ScubaBoard and that I sent you - they'll treat you right!

On the other hand, if you actually got into diving to SAVE money...

1. Bad idea overall
  2. There are lesser options

Ray

Back
Top Bottom