New BP/W: Halycon or DSS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Owning mulitple versions of both DSS and Halcyon, you won't be sorry with either. There are slight differences in the rigs, but customer service is so good with both that it really is not going to be something to base the decision on. I slightly prefer the DSS singles wings and the H doubles wings, but that is just me.

Both companies make very good gear. You will pay significantly more for the Halcyon. I don't have any experience with Halcyon customer service, but I can say that Tobin's (DSS) is up there with the best companies with which I have ever dealt.

For example: I bought a used DSS wing. The seller had posted photographs and mentioned that there was a blemish in the outer fabric. Tobin wanted the seller to send it to him for repair, but I bought it. I looked at it and thought it was a trivial problem. Tobin insisted that he would feel better if I sent it to him for inspection. I agreed, on the condition that he would charge me the same thing he would charge anyone else who sent such a wing in for repair (as we have become friends over the years). He agreed.

I got the wing back, fixed, at no charge.

That's Tobin.

Both are very good with great customer service. :D

Halcyon is heavily supported in this area but the deciding factor for me being an ocean diver was the MC Storage Pack which accommodates a large SMB. Eliminates a danglie..

I disagree that Halcyon is the best... expensive yes, the best no.

Seriously, the only thing that can go wrong with a bp/w is the wing & inflater. Although, Patrick @ oxycheq doesn't have the best diplomacy, I really believe he's wings are the best designed out there together with Tobin at DSS.

I have 3 oxycheq wings from the mach v 30 to 55 vertex and I recently bought the recon extreme II from Edd at caveadventurers.com - Home. I also own a halcyon eclipse setup.

As I've said before there are better and cheaper alternatives out there.

1. Dive rite alu plate with basic harness & 2" crouch strap or a DSS kydex plate. They have the smoothest finish n doesn't damage the webbing as bad as my halcyon or oms.
2. Oxycheq mach v 30 signature wing. That thing makes my halcyon eclipse look like a blimp.
3. Oxycheq mini single tank adapter
4. Dive rite ss cam band.

SangP

Unfortunately, or fortunately both Halcyon and DSS (I use both) are of sufficient quality that trying to find enough fault with one or the other to make a decision, would just be unnecessary and fruitless nitpicking.

Again, unfortunately for helping your decision, but fortunately no matter which you choose, customer service wise they've both been great. . .

With Halcyon I had to deal with them over a bad OPV spring recall and the way they dealt with it was fine by me. I called and said I had one of the bad springs and they asked me if I had the serial number for my H2, I said "no, it's at my place in Mexico and I'm here in the U.S., does it affect me getting the spring?" They said "no, what address should we send the spring to?" I told them my address, and a few days later the spring arrived in the mail.

With DSS I loaned them my VT3 computer to use for making the mold for their rubber boot. I got it back quicker than I thought I would and in exactly the same condition, but, with a free boot, a t-shirt (what he said he would give me for loaning them the VT3) as well as, a SMB reel w/line and a stainless steel double ended snap link. Tell me that wasn't cool of him.

Good luck choosing!

Deep Sea Supply for me!

I bought 2 x BP/W setups from Tobin for me and the wife at about the same number of dives as you have - best thing I ever did!!

The clincher for me was Tobin patient help with my questions and his spot on suggestions for what we needed.

Head to his section of the manufacturers sub-forum and ask for his advice! He needs some fairly specific info but read some of the other posts to see what he needs before he can advise you.

Deep Sea Supply

I also liked some of the small differences in the DSS plates as well, really well thought out & innovative things that make a difference IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom