New BP/W: Halycon or DSS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I notice that there is no quick releases on the rigs pictured. It seems like it would be a PITA to remove/replace in water. Curious to know what you do in case of emergency.

You know what else it doesnt have? An air bladder that when filled prevents diaphragm contraction and chest wall expansion. Nice not to be squeezed if need help staying afloat during an emergency.

Not sure if you mean removing it from yourself, or removing it from another diver (in a rescue scenario), or what you're comparing it to. Any way, it's quite easy. Chicken wing or cut if you need to

Yes, as in a rescue scenario - say an unconscious diver at surface. I'm just comparing it other more mainstream BC styles.

A lot of people look at Hog harnesses and think they'll be hard to get out of, and if they aren't adjusted properly, they can be. If properly adjusted, it's not so. I was out of my harness in about 10 seconds on the day we got blown off and had to be picked up by RIB (see my Near Misses thread).

If you need to get somebody out of harness in a hurry, those sawed off steak knives, when wielded with adrenaline, make short work of webbing. Unfortunately, I know this.

You know what else it doesnt have? An air bladder that when filled prevents diaphragm contraction and chest wall expansion. Nice not to be squeezed if need help staying afloat during an emergency.

Is never heard of a BC with this feature. Does such a thing really exist ? :confused:

Excussssseeeee mmmeeee for not buying a BC to your approval.:idk:

They've got poodle tails now. Interesting how H used to preach bout minimalistic gear, less is more, blunt knives, entanglement hazards, etc, etc.

Now it's padding, plastic butt strap adjustments, tails on dump valves. Either padi rubbed off on them or they're getting soft.

SangP

Call up Halcyon and tell JJ that he doesn't know squat about diving and that you want to school him on proper BC design.:rofl3:

Is never heard of a BC with this feature. Does such a thing really exist ? :confused:

The jacket BCs, when inflated, would give you a squeeze and depends on how it fits you or floats you, the squeeze is quite noticeable.

Yes, as in a rescue scenario - say an unconscious diver at surface. I'm just comparing it other more mainstream BC styles.

It's quite easy, as Lynne (TS&M) said. When I did my Rescue course, everyone was wearing hog rigs, doubles even

Yes. His point was that a wing is all behind you; not wrapped around you like a poodle jacket ('conventional' bcd) is

Yes, jacket style BCs can do this. How do i know? I had to tow a guy into shore who had a run away ascent due to a stuck LP inflator. The guy was panicking and kept exclaiming he couldn't breath. Indeed, he sounded like he was having difficulty breathing. His jacket BC was as full as it gets and was, low and behold, squeezing his chest wall. It was making it very hard from him to breath. Not a situation I want to be in when I need to keep my cool and fix something that is going wrong.

I have had my wing fully inflated, and I never have trouble breathing when its at max inflation.

Last edited:
Excussssseeeee mmmeeee for not buying a BC to your approval.:idk:

Hahaha, you certainly shouldnt worry about my approval for anything. Im just a n00b. I was merely commenting expressing my feelings on the integrated secondary reg, which isnt my cup of tea. Some people really like them though, so to each his own. Love the bp/w setup though. The "H" is so pretty:-D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom