New BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you first resonded you said it was a halcyon plate with a dive rite wing. Now it is a dive rite plate on cam bands. Of course, the dive rite plate does not have a round hole at the bottom. It has an elongated hole which allows for variations. Perhaps the problem was that your friend just didn't set up his bands correctly.

It's not about lower hole it's about the top hole which is shifted. The assumption about my friend setting them up incorrectly is totally wrong

It's not about lower hole it's about the top hole which is shifted. The assumption about my friend setting them up incorrectly is totally wrong

The top hole is shifted. Right..... I think we're done now.

Thanks for the advice guys. From what I have read the Halcyon comes down to the cinching system and I have not tried one on yet (that should be a first step). Also, I have been told that the extra padding is a bit of a problem with buoyancy and you have to add extra weight to compensate. The dealer of the Oxycheq told me that if you get a hole in the bladder you can patch it with a kit and you are good to go. Not so with the Halcyon rig so he says. Is is safe to patch it up and take it diving? As you suggest I will write an email to Tobin and see what he has available since I am new at getting gear and I do not want to get burned.

I have done Niihau three times now and you are right, it is the bomb.

Thanks again guys.:D

I bought parts from different manufacturers and slapped it together.

I got the Halcyon webbing because I like the hardware it comes with....and really who can resist those blue H's =P

I got the Hollis backplate because I like that it has 3 holes on top and a slit on the bottom which allows adjustment.

I got the Oxycheq wing because I like that it's streamlined, has good feedback, and has 3 holes on both top and bottom for even more adjustment. I use the top hole on the wing and bottom hole on the plate and it worked well in fundies.

For doubles, I got the Hollis C45 wing and am impressed by the quality. On a side note, I didn't know cordura was a brand until I saw the tag on the wing.

You can also buy the dive rite harness for like $20 online, a generic plate for $75 and a Hog wing for $200.

That's my experience, good luck with your choice.

I can't believe the discussions that i have started here. When I achieved my certification in Nitrox my instructor told me about scubaboard and I am very glad that I have used this resource. What I am hearing from you guys is that I need to go out and try out the different systems and pick the one that fits me best. I should not worry about mixing and matching as long as things fit well together. I have been getting more experience every year and slowly building up my certifications. I do not own a BCD yet because I am generally unhappy with all "jacket styles" that I have used so far. From what I have read a BP/W that is set up for you is very streamline and can be customized for your needs. I am tired of diving unfamiliar BCD's (the last one I borrowed and I think it was one of the originals ever made) and I want to be comfortable and familiar with my gear.

I am going to try out a few different systems and then buy the one that suits me the best.

Thanks again everyone (and thanks to the very kind man who lent me his extra BCD last time. It saved me time and money and worked just fine).

Kurt

Hope you have a blast in Kauai. It's been great hanging out with the whales this season...whale song has accompanied my recent dives, and you can't ask for more than that.

Sometimes, you might get lucky and see whales from your dive boat...other times, not so much. Either way, you can only get so close - federal regulations prohibit approaching whales (by any means) within 100 yards (90 m) when on or in the water, and 1,000 feet (300 m) when operating an aircraft. These regulations apply to all ocean users throughout the Hawaiian Islands (see http://hawaiihumpbackwhale.noaa.gov/welcome.html .) That said, sometimes you get really lucky, and the whales come to you (they don't care about the regulations, after all!). We had a couple two weeks ago swim within 50-yards of our moored dive boat before sounding. Absolutely amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom