New Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilchristz

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Im looking for a new computer and want to spend less than $800. Im currently looking at the

Oceanic OCI
Oceanic Atom 3.1
Dive Rite NiTek Q

Any other suggestions are welcomed but i would like to keep it wrist mounted.

Im looking for a new computer and want to spend less than $800. Im currently looking at the

Oceanic OCI
Oceanic Atom 3.1
Dive Rite NiTek Q

Any other suggestions are welcomed but i would like to keep it wrist mounted.

I was thinking of the Nitek Q as a possible solution but if you check SB here you can see it has some serious limitations for a DC. I mean, for $600 I would expect the DC to record water temp for upload to the dive software. There are some other features that are problems. If DR can square them away I think they can have a solid computer on their hands.

I asked one of the members on here about some things. My criteria were middle of the road algorithm, wrist mounted, guage mode, nitrox computable.

The two computers that got back to me were the Oceanic VT3/VT4.1 or the Aries A300. If your sharp you may be able to pick up a used Petral.

Heinrichs Weikamp Frog, yes I dive one, but I truly think it is a great computer and not just because I own one. Colour, runs on AAs, bluetooth, bungee mount, small, very simple to use. Customer service is up there with the likes of Scubatoys, DiveRite, DGX and Atomic (from personal exp). They have no dealers outside the EU so can only be bought online direct from them, but in doing so they the deduct the VAT (19.5%?).

Any other suggestions are welcomed but i would like to keep it wrist mounted

Would help if you said what other features were important to you and what type of diving you do e.g. nitrox, decompression, mixed gas, technical, download, low light/viz etc

If you are prepared to spend around $800 for a DC, I would rather add a couple of $$ and get a Shearwater Petrel. Its a lot of hardware, but you will never have to upgrade again ever!!! Wrist mount, large display, user replacable AA batteries, downloadable dive logs via BT, full technical capability, fatastic customer service, bulletproof and will get you laid :D

The better choice would be a Suunto Zoop at around $250. You can use the rest of your hard earn money on more equipment, or a dive trip/holiday. I highly recommend the zoop.

You can also check out the Scubapro Galileo Luna. $720. It is larger wrist model with a huge very easy to read display compared to those you listed. Long-life user changeable battery.

Probably the best integrated compass going today, bar none.

Later, you can add gas integration by buying a transmitter.

You can upgrade to a 3-gas deco algorithm. You can upgrade to full trimix with 10 gasses running Buhlman Z16. Of course all algorithms have adjustable conservatism.

The standard Buhlman Z8 algorithm on the computer out of the box is a well established and followed, moderately conservative algorithm.

It's a lot of computer for the price, has been around for years and seems to has a good track record for reliability. The excellently implemented multiple features (gas integration, compass) are things that some people like and others don't. Personally, I find them great conveniences but I would always have a short-hose clipped off SPG for back-up and a compass in a pocket. But, having everything viewable at a glance on the wrist is very nice.

You should definitely look at it, along with the other suggestions here.

Ditto on the Luna, give it a look.

I like the suggestions what I'm looking for is a computer that i can download dives to a mac, Nitrox compatible, and is easy to read without being overwhelmingly large. Air integrated is also a plus even though i still have a spg. Even though i may spend up to 800 id really like to stay closer to 600 and the atom 3 was on sale with the transmitter for 679.

The OC1 fits your listed needs. I have one and it is easy to use. The battery is user replaceable. It has 2 algorithms DSAT or Pelagic Z+. Switches up to 4 gasses. Nitrox compatible and gauge mode. If you order it soon Oceanic has a free transmitter. Oceanic has good customer service and I am pretty sure they also supply a code that allows you access to the online training course that DiveNav here on scubaboard owns/runs. It is small enough to use as a watch on a dive vacation. It comes with a download cable. If you are using a MAC, you can get a great piece of software for downloading your dive profiles. MacDive is $25.00 and well worth it.

I do like that right now all of the oceanic computers come with the transmitter free

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom