New gear purchase survey 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Latest purchase was a peanut pony gauge from Leisure Pro. Ordered it last night after 8PM. Delivered this morning @ 11AM.
Before that: Scuba Pro MK25/G250V (ordered during their religious weekend); took 3.5 days.
Henderson InstaDry: Took 1.5 days to arrive.
Gotta love Leisure Pro.

All the basics. An Oceanic Probe LX BC, Mares Proton occy, Mares 42 Abyss first and second stage and a couple of 10L Beuchat cylinders. Reason: dive shops were having massive sales and I'd have been crazy not to have bought them. It's all comfortable and works well for me. Missus is still pretty angry though...

My first rig. Bp/W from caveadventurers: diverite ss BP and Oxy wing. Boo ya ka sha

BCD - Purchased a Dive Rite Transplate. I liked the simplicity of the harness apposed to the Ranger LTD I was using. Also the versatility and flexibility of the whole rig. Bladder exchange is easy so switching from recreational diving to technical is simple and the hard plate is much better even with only a single tank

Regulator - Purchased a Mares Proton. It breathes AMAZING! No adjustment knob, no switch, just simple. As a service tech the MR42 is easy to service and the proton is simple to adjust. It's heavy and that is a drawback but it's to be expected from an all metal 2nd stage. I put a 45 degree swivel and a 22" Miflex hose and and I am very stream line with no tug on the mouthpiece.

Computer - Purchased an Oceanic VEO 3.0. I use this is a backup PC with my VT3. It's an amazingly simple menu. The back step feature makes it a dream come true! The dual algorithm feature is very useful for making repetitive dives and looking for a more conservative profile! If it were air-integrated it would be perfect!

Fins - Purchased Mares X-Streams. I wanted a bit more stiffness from my fins. The Volos that I have didn't cut in a drysuit or doubles. They were simply too soft and didn't give enough kick. The X-Streams answered those issues nicely and are still a super light fin! All of that came crashing down when they broke today at the flex point. I'm holding my verdict until I talk to Mares tomorrow...They were a pain to get the first time and were supposed to be available this time LAST YEAR and still only regulars are available, no small or XL.

Yes! I bought all my gear this year.
I first bought the basics:
-Aqualung/Tecnisub 'Look' mask: bought it because I first thought it looked awesome, it was a good fit on my face and the price was good...all other masks were ugly.
-Aqualung dive boots (5mm I think) because I wanted open heel fins and this boots looked tough and well made, they are comfortable and the price was also good.
-Mares quattro excel fins, out of recommendation from my older and more scuba experienced sister, she told me those were good and I can say the same. price was a little high though.
-Body Glove 3/2 pro II wetsuit, this was a great purchase as all the 3mm wetsuits were on the same price range, but this one feels thicker, maybe it is. I think it is a 5mm wetsuit wich I got for the price of a 3mm.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I then bought all the extra gear:
-Oceanic Pro BCD (weight integrated)
-Oceanic gt3 reg and alpha 8 octo
-Oceanic veo 100 dive computer/pressure gage
this was bought online at a very cheap price...all this gear part by part would cost over $1,000 but it got it for about $640 :D

Sherwood Magnum BC
Sherwood Blizzard Reg
Sherwood Wisdom II Comp
Extra Force Fins Tan Delta
DUI TLS350 Drysuit
OTS Guardian Full Face Mask
Steel 120 Tank
Fourth Element Artic and Dry Base Undergarments
Under Armour Coldgear Top and Bottom Compression (drysuit base layer EXCELLENT)
Ikelite PCM Led Lights

Expensive year, but the toys are worth it!

I bought a White's Fusion Bullet drysuit. (I won't have it until the end of the month though.) I was totally anti-drysuit due to prices and a bad experience on a drysuit demo day until I had my stroke in March and now NEED one due to nerve damage. Water temps below 81 degrees hurt...so I had no choice. It was either that or quit. I'd rather drop a few grand. :)

I just got the Fusion bullet. Its sitting at the shop waiting for me, but I have been diving the demo, probably for way longer (think months) that the shop would like. I've found it to be very easy to dive in. Minimal roaming air bubble and no problems to speak of with floaty feet. What I have not been using with the demo suit but will soon be in my new suit is the pee valve. I got a shipment of condom catheters in that my girlfriend had to pick up at the front desk. She said she got some looks.

How do you like the slingshots? I demoed them on an NC wreck dive and liked the feel of them but didn't get enough time to really get a sense of how they perform in differnt conditions.

I only got certified in 2010...So all this gear is my first setup and is fairly basic. I'll likely be upgrading in the future, but this suits my current needs and an initial budget.

Scuba Pro split fins and booties
Scuba Pro mask and snorkel
Mares trilastic 5-4-3 wetsuit
Aeris EX-100 BCD
Oceanic FDX10 Delta IV Regulator
Oceanic Alpha 8 Octopus
Oceanic Veo 1.0 Nitrox Dive Computer Console

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom