New, new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I just left my first pool dive and it was pretty awesome. Everything was relatively easy to do. They are very thorough, and showing it and patient about it. My biggest struggle was the mask clearing. Still not great at that. Anyone got any advice? I'm particularly nervous about the upcoming where they want us to remove it and hold it for a minute before we put it back on.

So I just left my first pool dive and it was pretty awesome. Everything was relatively easy to do. They are very thorough, and showing it and patient about it. My biggest struggle was the mask clearing. Still not great at that. Anyone got any advice? I'm particularly nervous about the upcoming where they want us to remove it and hold it for a minute before we put it back on.
Various things you can do to help. One may be stick your head in water (full sink?) without mask/snorkel and hold your breath. Then add snorkel only--no mask. Breathe through snorkel while your nose passages are still blocked off. Water going only into nostrils doesn't hurt you. If this is difficult, start by just breathing with your mouth while not underwater, but keeping the nose passages closed off. Same thing. Only way water goes where it shouldn't go in the nose (or mouth) is if your passages are not locked shut.

Thanks I was contemplating grabbing my weight belt and going to my in-laws pool and doing something very similar. I was just going to sit on the bottom with my snorkel until comfortable without a mask.

Appreciate the advice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom