New Veo 3.0 - Warning to Buyers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gb_williams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last week, my wife and I dove with Oceanic's new Veo 3.0 for the first time. We love the computer! It's easy to read, easy to use, and easy to access the information you need both on the surface and in the water. I didn't think it would make much difference and not worth the additional expense over the Veo 2.0, but the the step-back button is a great convenience that keeps you from having to go throw all those menus one more time.

I like the ability to change the count-down timer on our safety stops. On multiple days of diving, we like to make a five minute stop. I like the ability to change algorithms. For multiple days of diving, especially when deep diving, I like to play it safer with the conservative Z+. And, being able to quickly and easily switch from air to Nitrox is also a very convenient advantage.

But, there is a catch ... or, maybe a short-sighted sales error. For all its many conveniences, the Veo 3.0 lacks one very important one. It doesn't come with a printed owner's manual. It does come with a nicely printed quick-start guide. And, it has a little "cheat-sheet" laminated card for quick reference. But, search as you will, you won't find the 113 page operating manual in the box with your computer.

According the Oceanic's sales and customer service departments, the company is no longer providing printed owners manuals. Instead, the manual information is in a CD that does come in the box along with the battery removal tool. (The manual is also available in pdf form on Oceanic's website.) That means if you happen to get where you're going and discover you'd like to know a little more about the alarm options or what some Oceanic acronym really means, or the differences in the algorithms -- you better have another, more land-based computer with you (not to mention the disc) ... or, at least the 113 pages you printed off the CD or the internet. Considering that all the printed materials in the box stress thorough reading of the operating manual prior to using the dive computer, Oceanic's decision to severely limit its availability seems to lack customer focus at best and could become a door opener to future litigation at worst. I hope not; because in spite of the sales department's bungled decision, the Veo 3.0 is still a wonderful computer.

A lot of companies do exactly that. Save the earth and all.

Dive computers are not all that complicated.

We plan to release the Veo 3.0 online specialty class by the end of February ... it doubles up as an online user manual that you can access from everywhere you can access internet.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I think (IMHO) that the Oceanic decision has been wise.
Most of the users will not use the printed user manual more than the first week. Then it will become a waste of paper.
If you are appasionate and want to have your manual, then, print it and keep it.
Perhaps Oceanic should offer the printed version of the user manual as an optional accesory, like the download cable. This will, however, add an item to the logistics of Oceanic.
When I decided to buy my Oceanic PDC, I downloaded the pdf version of the user manual and studied it before I received my purchase.

Alright. One last gasp and I'll give it up. If Oceanic is "going green" and never intended to offer the manual in a printed version, why is the actual size of the page images in the pdf file designed to fit perfectly within the computer's box? Why not design the pages to fit an 8 1/2"x11" standard U.S. sheet of printing paper instead of the -- what is it, 6" x 6" actual manual size? Sure would be a lot fewer pages to print and trees to pulp. Seems like a lot of wasted space and wasted paper. Why leave page 2 of the pdf blank if it's not the plain white inside sheet of the 60 lb. cover someone on the Oceanic staff planned to print and so directed the designer?

Yes, I'll read the manual thoroughly during the first week. And, I'll review it just as thoroughly before my next dive trip 4 to 6 months later. Even more importantly, I'll probably check it over on the plane while I'm on my way to the week's dive location. I really don't want to drag along a laptop ... not when the airlines are already dinging me for every extra ounce of BC, regulator, wetsuit ... Doug, do you really know what I'm talking about, here? Forget about the Silver or Gold Medallion status that comes with a Marketing Manager's job. (Damn, I feel for all the miles you've had to ride in an airline seat and all those TSA gauntlets you had to run.) But, imagine for a moment that you're flying with your dive gear like the rest of us peons in the back of the bus. Those uniforms at the check-in counter are charging us for every ounce, inch and bag they can add. That Oceanic Veo 3.0 manual I could slip into my pocket if it was printed. Can't do that with a laptop. Can't do that with 113, 8 1/2" x 11" pages, either. And, God help me if the clip doesn't hold all those pages together. Right. That's really a practical solution. Print out 113 8 1/2" x 11" pages and drag them around with you to, say, the Seychelles or maybe the Solomons, or how about just ol' Key Largo? How long do you think they'll stay together?

I guess your lawyers and my heirs' lawyers can work that one out, right? Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to print a simple manual than pay off all those blood-sucking lawyers? Of course, if you have out-house lawyers instead of in-house lawyers, they're all hoping you won't print any because they know the litigation will prove to you why you need to keep paying them more in retainers than you'll ever pay a printer for a trainload of manuals. Makes good business sense, right?

Doug, I know you'll stand hard by your commitment to listen to both sides here, there and elsewhere, whether it's positive or negative, and I count on your promise that you'll adjust accordingly. That's what every good marketing manager should do. It's great preparation for running for public office, too. And, I wish you and everyone at Oceanic all the success in the world. May all the dive magazines laud the Veo 3.0 as the best to buy for 2010 and beyond. If nothing else, it would convince my wife that I made a good choice to buy two of them. But, in all honesty, inspite of all the banter about stupid manuals and whether they're printed or only offered electronically, Oceanic has made a very wonderful dive computer. And, I'll stand by it accordingly.

Oceanic - Why don't you make the offer to send this poor guy a printed one. Actually, why don't you send a printed manual to anyone who makes a request. That would be real customer service.

Personally, I hate this cheapness. I do read the manual and do not want to have to sit in front of a computer (which isn't available all the time) and read one.

By the way, I love my Veo 250.

My backup computer is an older Suunto Vytec. When I couldn't find the manual I called Suunto who immediately sent me a new manual!!!

Both of these computers have big print which are a real joy for my 59 year old eyes.

I love that so many companies put manuals on the web, including Oceanic. I used to have 3 huge binders of manuals for the the gear (scuba and otherwise) I owned. It was a mess to say the least. The small manuals are the worst, very difficult to read. Others would walk away.

Now I can access anytime I want on my laptop and blow the pages up to a comfortable size. I can search until my heart is content with ease. If I don't have a computer around, the blackberry works fine, although the pages are small. The pdf works on the Kindle also.

I don't mean to be a grumpy old guy, but this is the 21st century and the optimum media is electronic.

mention the disc) ... or, at least the 113 pages you printed off the CD or the internet. Considering that all the printed materials in the box stress thorough reading of the operating manual prior to using the dive computer, Oceanic's decision to severely limit its availability seems to lack customer focus at best and could become a door opener to future litigation at worst. I hope not; because in spite of the sales department's bungled decision, the Veo 3.0 is still a wonderful computer.

Almost nobody reads the manual anyplace where a computer isn't available.

In fact, modern products are designed specifically to not require instruction before use. If you need to read a book in order to use a device, the User Interface designer didn't do his job.

No printed manual saves printing costs, trees, ink, pollution and transportation costs with almost no "down side".

Terry

I also prefer the PDF over a printed manual... just my 2 cents. However, I do see why some people prefer a printed manual. Perhaps Oceanic can offer an option for those who want a printed guide to get one via mail? Satisfy those who want and those like me who prefer the electronic version.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom