New wing/BP bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Detroit D.
I have heard of bungie straps on wings, but know nothing of them. Would this help any?
I guess once I get in the water fully suited, things may change some. I don't carry much, so I won't add much in weight. In the gulf, I will have a couple things added, but not much.
I may just suck it up and get a 27 if this really is a problem once I start using it more. I only paid $220 for the 45, so I could probably get my money back out of it if needed.
thanks
Greg

The bungees are not a good answer to your issue, for a number of reasons. They just insert more problems and are definately not DIR.

There's got to be a Halycon dealer in your area. Any chance that you can rent a wing for a dive or two?

Now that I think about it, one of the members of this board is in your area, I think. Give roakey a PM and maybe he has some suggestions for you in the area.

JaxDiver:
I've been a lurker in the forum, but this is the first time posting in DIR. I'm a beginner, haven't taken DIR-F, but am convinced of the system. Please go easy on me....thanks!

I also just moved from jacket style BC to B/P with wings. I have the Halcyon 45 lb wing because I also dive up in Canada - but most of the time is here in Florida.

I dive mostly with AL100's (little heavier starting out, but a much bigger change in tank buoyancy - so I need more weight at the end of my dive.) I used to use between 12 and 16 lbs of weight between fresh and salt water with the jacket style. With the new setup, SS backplate and 2 SL6 lights on the harness, I was able to stay submerged with only 4 lbs and 500 psi in the tank.

I am almost neutrally buoyant without any added weight and very little air in the wing. I have lots of capability for positive buoyancy, so I'm not worried about that part....but my question is this, can I just loose the weight belt and use a pocket for the 4 lbs? When I add on a reel / primary light / other stuff I probably won't even need that 4 lbs. I think I know the answer, but am wondering if anyone else can dive without a weight belt. How safe is it to dive without "easily" ditchable weight.

First thought is that in an emergency we're taught to establish positive buoyancy. In my case, rather than ditching weights, I would ditch lights, etc. Does that make sense? Obviously my partner would need to be familiar with my gear and how to help me if something does go wrong (that's the mentality of "Doing it Right" - right?)

Your light counts as ditchable weight as long as it's rigged that way. But, IMO, it's nice to have a weight belt because it can be useful in getting your trim right and provides ditchable weight, which is espically desirable if you are diving wet. I don't dive with any weight right now with my double steel 100s and I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

One thing I'm considering (that you might want to look at too) is going to an AL bp.

I have access to a shop that sells them, he may have a personal one I can use too. They are pretty cool people.
I'll try that next, I need to get some more time in first. I may be just jumping the gun.

thanks all,
Greg

PS, Jax D. the add on side pouches are for ditchable weights, they are almost $100. though. Check on line for them. They slip over the side straps and have one bolt per side that mounts them to the BP.

I was working on rescue stuff in the pool tonight, wearing this stuff for the first time. I had on a 5mm shorty, 4# of weight in my side bags (since we had to practice ditching weights) & an 80 AL tank.
The wing is forcing me forward while I'm on the surface, and I tried to keep just enough air in it to stay above water.
Greg

Greg, You said it was Your first time wearing the Gear? In Freshwater(POOL) what do You do most of Your diving in? The Colorado River? The Wing will take some getting used to on the surface. But all adjustable..Keep making changes and note them in Your dive log. Weight, Placement, Manually inflate Your BCD and make note of the amount of breaths You put in. How far out of the water do You want to Be? and Do You know how far out You need to be? Do You always dive a shorty? are Your fins negative or positive in buoyancy? Are You wearing to large of a harness?, can You change it's size? Keep playing with it, I'm sure You'll find a combo that works for You. When You accomplish it..You'll have some fun.

Zeagle Ranger LTD
Zeagle 911
Deep Outdoors TEC Duals

Up to this year, 95% of my dives are in the Gulf, Sarasota county.

This year, I am spending time in the water here in Colorado. I don't think anyone would have any fun in maybe six feet of CO river water. The diving here is just lakes, some as high as 10,000' and cold. I was hesitant to event try this setup in the pool, but I'm a bit hard headed (LOL) and just had to try it. This was the first time I have ever had my shorty on, so my bouyancy was messed up anyway. I really won't be able to get "real" time in on it till the 23/24th weekend. It shouldn't take me much time to get it dialed in.
I don't usually spend time on the surface, so I was really looking for a fast fix while I am doing the classes. Especially in a hurry up situation like we were in.

Greg

Hello :)

I dive with a 40lb Eclipse on S/S backplate...6lb weighted STA.
4.5lb split between the two Trim weight pockets on the bottom tank band, this helps prevent being pushed forward at the surface. Ditchable weight if required would come via the cannister light.

Just one note. If you are corretly weighted you should still be able to fin to the surface
even if you had a complete wing failure. A DSMB could also be used as redudant buoancy.

Safe Diving

Pete

Dr. Frankenmule:
**snip** I really won't be able to get "real" time in on it till the 23/24th weekend. It shouldn't take me much time to get it dialed in.
I don't usually spend time on the surface, so I was really looking for a fast fix while I am doing the classes. Especially in a hurry up situation like we were in.

Greg
Greg, I also dive with a bp & wing and will be using it the 24th for our "get together". Be happy to help out with any adjustments or what ever else you might need.
Looking forward to diving with you.

Very cool, thanks.
It sounds like to me the variables that were messing me up are the ditchable weights in combination with the shorty. I suspect, the 4# in the trim pouches (2&2), mounted to the tank band will be enough when I have my full suit on.

I was stressed that night, so I wasn't thinking too well. We were to start in the water at 7:00 for training, BUT there was a diving competition going on and they didn't let us get in till 7:50. We had to get out at 8:50 and was rushed through some of our skills. THIS time, I will have no weights in the ditchables and the 4# on my tank strap.

Nuff said here, any more will be wasting your time. I need some time in the water now.
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input and the fact that nobody got mad at me for posting what could be trivial to most of the DIR crew.
Greg

Kevin,
See you there.
G

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom