Newbie Boat Diver Tipping-Etiquette Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave42

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Newly certified diver here. Excited about taking my first boat trip here in a few weeks. I was certified without ever getting on a boat (Texas Lakes). I have heard that it is customary to tip the boat crew, what is the standard rate (lets say for US boats, I imagine it is different in different locales)? And do you just give it to the captian?

Most tip about 10-20% to the boat crew.

Every boat is different, some have a "tip jar", but I tend to give it directly to the crew.

As a guideline, on multi-day trips that you might end up with different crew each day, I suggest tipping each day instead of waiting until the end of the week. You might have the same crewman for 4 days and on your last day they switch to someone else for example.

Most i've been on had a Jar for tips, I usually give 15%.

I give it to the crew and give $5 to$10 a dive in the US and abroad. You should give it each day on a day boat as the crew canchange from day to day.

I tip the DM/crew and give it to one of them--usually the most active one--and say this is for you guys. It's usually $20-- for a 2 tank dive. I don't know if DMs here in NS usually get tipped--If I can get a charter I hope so....I know we get paid for courses, but to DM a charter you just get to go free.

I usually tip $5 a tank.

From The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette, Chapter 3 (which is all about diving off day boat charters):

PLEASE TIP

Do it. Tip something. Tip in local currency if you can. Always tip in cash. If you are clueless as to what is appropriate, then tip five to ten dollars per tank per diver. That’s a fair range. The tip can be on the lower end if the services provided are minimal, more if someone set up your gear for you, changed out your tank, gave you a beverage and/or snack and/or lunch. You should tip more if the divemaster retrieved the piece of gear you dropped overboard, or saved your life, or did something else special like that.
Some boats have a tip jar. We make a habit of asking if there is one, and usually ask loud enough so other people will hear us ask and hopefully tip. If there is a tip jar, put your entire tip in it. If there is none, tip the divemaster and captain separately. Also, tip every day since the crew and dive masters may change daily. But TIP.

DivemasterDennis

I do 5 bucks a tank to the guide and 5 bucks per tank to the deck hand. More crew than that, I'lthrough 20 for a 2 tank trip into the college fund jar.

Tipping is an old topic, but past posts have said there are also countries where tipping is not expected and crew are very surprised to receive one.

Glad you asked about boat etiquette. Besides tipping, here is some other useful information

Keep your gear bag under your seat. Don't spread your stuff all over the boat and in other people's space
Use any spray sunscreen at the back of the boat. It can make the deck slippery.
Same goes for the rinse hose, spray away from the dry areas. It won't make anything slippery, but it will irritate people when their belongings get wet.
Don't use the camera rinse tank for your mask or anything else.
If you get sea sick, chum away from the wind and not on your buddy's gear.
Never put anything in the head that you did not digest through your body. Nobody wants to unstop the marine toilet or make it unusable.

Have a good time on your first boat dive. It's the greatest way to keep sand out of your gear.

Back
Top Bottom