Newbie Mistake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I believe Poseiden has smiled upon me. I chalk it up to my willingness to let others laugh at my misfortune. Today without warning a neighbor about two blocks away was having a yard sail.....all scuba gear....and my wife is the one that told me about it and to go.....

Getting a second set of fins is not the highlight ($10), nor is the Farmer John ($30) or the extras he just threw in for free (luggage style dive bag, extra hose, women's boots and gloves, extra hood and gear hangers).......No No No.....

It was the four tanks 2 HP DIN 80's and 2 HP DIN 120's ($160 total) that was the highlight.....

My buddy and I met up for a first dive of the season at local beach. I teased him mercilessly when he announced he forgot his fins. Until I realized I had forgotten mine also. Sh*t happens....

Karma is always waiting to bite us in the ass.

Lost a fin entering a shore dive in FL. Looked up & down the beach thinking I dropped it walking. No. Got back to the entry spot and went in, doing a zig zag search pattern in 5-10' of water using my one fin. FOUND IT! Went out to grab my (required) dive flag I had left on the beach. It's gone! Was told a couple of little girls had it playing with it stuck in the sand way down the beach. I walked to them & their family. They said they looked & looked for the owner and then took it to their spot, figuring someone would see it there. They were looking for me while I was maybe 20' away swimming around uw with one fin on.............Ya gotta laugh. I found no good shells after that, but took solace in that I returned with everything I started out with!

Lost a fin entering a shore dive in FL. Looked up & down the beach thinking I dropped it walking. No. Got back to the entry spot and went in, doing a zig zag search pattern in 5-10' of water using my one fin. FOUND IT! Went out to grab my (required) dive flag I had left on the beach. It's gone! Was told a couple of little girls had it playing with it stuck in the sand way down the beach. I walked to them & their family. They said they looked & looked for the owner and then took it to their spot, figuring someone would see it there. They were looking for me while I was maybe 20' away swimming around uw with one fin on.............Ya gotta laugh. I found no good shells after that, but took solace in that I returned with everything I started out with!

Amusing and annoying but at least it was good intentioned. Finding your fin, good job!

So I believe Poseiden has smiled upon me. I chalk it up to my willingness to let others laugh at my misfortune. Today without warning a neighbor about two blocks away was having a yard sail.....all scuba gear....and my wife is the one that told me about it and to go.....

Getting a second set of fins is not the highlight ($10), nor is the Farmer John ($30) or the extras he just threw in for free (luggage style dive bag, extra hose, women's boots and gloves, extra hood and gear hangers).......No No No.....

It was the four tanks 2 HP DIN 80's and 2 HP DIN 120's ($160 total) that was the highlight.....

That is awesome. I think you should have headed over to 7-11 and bought a lottery ticket.:D

Jumped off the back of a boat sans fins, realized it before I hit the water twisted in mid air and almost was able to grab the swim grid. Swimming in a dry suit with a camera and no fins in a mild current is not easy!

Managed to gear up and swim 50 yards out to a marker buoy from shore to discover my weights were at home.

We all do it. I figure as long as I can breath everything else is just inconvenient.

Jumped off the back of a boat sans fins, realized it before I hit the water twisted in mid air and almost was able to grab the swim grid. Swimming in a dry suit with a camera and no fins in a mild current is not easy!

Managed to gear up and swim 50 yards out to a marker buoy from shore to discover my weights were at home.

We all do it. I figure as long as I can breath everything else is just inconvenient.

That's my mantra for those very few "moments" that come up underwater. "I can breathe. I have time to figure this out."

I was setting out a dive float with a fellow TA. We swam out on the surface until a good spot, exchanged oks, signalled down and dumped air from our BCs to descend. At around 10' I signalled to ascend. Once back on the surface and after adding air manually to my BC, I asked if she wouldn't mind turning my air on, preferably without the instructor noticing from shore.

Just try to keep the mistakes non-fatal. But negative and out of air is not good. The sand bottom was at about 20', I had a few options for getting up myself, a good buddy in communication 8' away and clear vis, so it was all fine. And a good lesson.

Ever lose a weight and try to descend without enough weight to retrieve it? I did that once in my early dive days without thinking about it (or grabbing a rock...).
Another faux paux was on one of the first courses I assisted -- at the checkout dives. Another DM from an adjacent course asked me to look around in 3-4 feet of water for a dropped weight. Realized when doing this I had neglected to put on my weight belt. I use suspenders, so had to take the unit off to put the belt on. Had to sneak to the car to do this so MY instructor wouldn't see my mistake, as our class was close to entering the water. Told her I had a leak and had to switch out my tank at the car. All went fine, no one the wiser (except me).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom