Nitrox O2 Testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galvanni

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I'm going through my PADI Nitrox book in preparation for the cert test in two weeks. I take it you are best off buying and traveling with your own O2 tester to avoid lines and make sure it's calibrated.

Should I be buying one and if so - which one?

So I'm going through my PADI Nitrox book in preparation for the cert test in two weeks. I take it you are best off buying and traveling with your own O2 tester to avoid lines and make sure it's calibrated.

Should I be buying one and if so - which one?

Do you have to have one is no. Its a good idea though to have one when your on a boat and just handed a tank in good faith thats marked 32 percent.

As to avoid lines it really doesnt make any diffrence since most operators I have been with have one on hand usually and are willing to let you use it to lessen their liability.

If your going to be like me and strictly a nitrox diver then it would be a great investment. However a lot of people only use it occasionaly and therefore its hard to justify the cost and upkeep of a tester.

And yes by all means and for the sake of safety make sure its calibrated

When will you be getting nitrox fills? Probably just on a dive vacation...if it's even available. Every dive shop I've found that does nitrox fills has an analyzer that can be used by customers when picking up their tanks.

If you aren't planning on using nitrox very often, I would hold off on the analyzer purchase. The sensor is expensive and has a limited lifetime once activated.

I received my nitrox cert 4 years ago. Since then, I've used nitrox on a couple of Bonaire vacations (very useful there) and on the occasional local boat dive. There have only been a couple of occasions when I wished I had my own oxygen analyzer. YMMV.

If you insist on getting another dive-related gadget, an economical option is the Oxycheq El Cheapo analyzer. It's a DIY solution for about $100.

Enjoy the class.

Sorry - I should have added more information. I'm getting the Nitrox cert more for a margin of safety (I'm not interested in deep dives either). I don't care about bottom time - at least not yet (I'm told I breathe well - but I'm sure not that well). I'm going to Bonaire for a week in a few months - marathon diving, hence why I am getting the Nitrox cert. Was wondering if I should bring one with me. My plans as of now is that unless I'm doing more than a day or a few dives during a trip that I most likely won't use Nitrox.

I would like to believe that a place like Bonaire that sees so many divers would have top notch equipment and personnel, but I guess that goes like anything else.

Most places that offer Nitrox also have an O2 analyzer for your use.

Remember that you alone are responsible for checking your gas. Are you comfortable using someone else's analyzer? Did you see the dive shop calibrate the unit properly?

Most people are rather lazy about analyzing their Nitrox. They trust the dive shop to calibrate the unit and they trust that their gas analysis is therefore correct.

It all depends on your comfort level with your dive operator. At the very least you should be sure that their analyzer was calibrated properly.

If you decide to buy an analyzer, you should look for one that is within your bidget range, that appears easy to use, easy to calibrate, portable, and that has a user-replaceable O2 sensor. You might also consider the cost of replacement sensor in your budget analysis. Most O2 sensors need to be replaced annually even if they're not used very often. $80 -$100 is a good estimate for a new sensor.

Sorry - I should have added more information. I'm getting the Nitrox cert more for a margin of safety (I'm not interested in deep dives either). I don't care about bottom time - at least not yet (I'm told I breathe well - but I'm sure not that well). I'm going to Bonaire for a week in a few months - marathon diving, hence why I am getting the Nitrox cert. Was wondering if I should bring one with me. My plans as of now is that unless I'm doing more than a day or a few dives during a trip that I most likely won't use Nitrox.
I never felt the need to have my own analyzer on my Bonaire trips. The dive op that we used stationed an analyzer right next to regular air and 32% nitrox tanks. It was quite convenient to just use an air tank to calibrate the analyzer and then analyze however many tanks our dive group would use for the day. As part of your orientation, ask a dive op employee to show you how to calibrate and use the analyzer.

Based on your pattern of use, I wouldn't recommend investing in an analyzer. Save up for other scuba-related gear.
I would like to believe that a place like Bonaire that sees so many divers would have top notch equipment and personnel, but I guess that goes like anything else.
All of the Bonaire dive shops and pros that I've worked with have been knowledgeable and trustworthy. That being said, I wouldn't assume anything. Do all of your pre-dive checks as you would at home. Analyze your gas. Always calibrate the device before taking a reading on an "unknown" tank.

You will soon learn that nitrox isn't intended for deep diving. Something to keep in mind.

I can see no good reason at your current level and participation that you should purchase an analyzer. Use the shop's and go dive.

Agreed. Just watch the calibration of the O2 analyzer and then watch when they analyze your tank of Nitrox. No need to buy one. Use the one in the dive center. Just watch the calibration against air and then record your nitrox percentage.

Deep? Not sure what that means; but with Nitrox you must watch your PPOs carefully. The main purpose of the nitrox certification is to help you understand the limits and risk of oxygen at various depths, not to just go "deeper".

It seems the PADI Nitrox book leaves some folks with the impression that it's really important to get their own analyzer. In fact it's not and most people don't. You absolutely should analyze your tanks. But any shop where you get Nitrox in Bonaire, and most dive destinations, will have an analyzer for you to use. Probably it does not make sense for you to buy one at this point.

I've been diving Nitrox most of the time for at least 10 years and am still only vaguely thinking about it. There's been 2 places I sort of wished I had one and both were in the Pacific. (If a reasonable combined O2/CO unit appeared I'd probably consider that.)

Back
Top Bottom