No Joke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a difference between "touching" someone else's gear out of possible interest, and active tampering. Laying hands on someone else's gear without permission is a misdemeanour, turning someone else's gas valve off is a felony: it's attempted murder. I'd certainly be very very vocal and public when I found out. Not only would I broadcast to everyone on the boat, but probably everyone in the local dive community. I'm upset just reading this thread. The diver who did this is a moron and the more other divers and captains who know it, the better.

Just wondering why you two feel superior to the guy who shut off the valve? Do you think violence is the answer to this problem? Would you going to prison over this really make any of this better? Or are you guys just internet tough guys?

I am a construction worker. And what I consider a "joke" would probably not be inside of what you would consider "comfortable".
But when it comes to endangering my life and/or the lives of others...it's no longer a joke. My industry is filled with ex-cons. (I'm not one) And there is only one thing that they usually understand.
A pounding including bodily harm is letting them off easy... incarceration is going "atomic".

I apologise if I seem a little rough...probably the crowd I work with.

I would like to have stomped him into turtle food.

But what he did is almost identically the same as cutting the brake lines on a car. It usually goes by another name of "attempted murder by criminal mischief" . Usually garnering a nice "hotel" stay of a few years.

I'd want the guy no where near me, my equipment, or anything I owned.

Give me a break. This was a set of doubles with independent first and second stages. At no time was Trace in any peril. Trace? Do you feel like if you had jumped in the water and breathed off your closed down primary that there would be ANY chance of you not surviving? Or would you just reach back and turn your gas on or grab your necklace?

If Trace thinks he would be in real danger, please quit teaching now. You are not confident or skilled enough to have new divers learn from you.

I know Trace personally. This wouldn't have even raised his heart rate. Cut brake lines? Murder? Get real.

Why would anyone think that was “funny”?? What a idiot - he (or she) would be banned from future dives if it was my boat!’
For the record, I think it's a horrible thing to do. As do most who have responded.

However.

Apparently these sort of "pranks" have been part of scuba since the beginning. I just read a document posted by @boulderjohn in another thread: http://www.divinghistory.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/nauihistory.pdf which clearly describes similar hi-jinks in the very first national scuba class in the US and even talks about them as if they were a good thing. I'm glad I've never been the victim of this sort of thing.

I’m finding it hard to grasp how a grown person would view that as an appropriate joke. Maybe a child, but I doubt that any captain (anywhere) is going to have the ability to instill wisdom in a jackass.

I would probably have reacted strongly, spoiled my day and his, but I would not be getting on another boat with that guy ever.

Edit: and the issue is not if trace could recover from the prank, but if he had messed up, failed to check, fixed it in the water- the guy would have probably found that to be especially hilarious, and might do something similar to another less skilled diver.

I was using doubles. The right side could be off and the SPG needle wouldn't move.

That actually happened to my wife once. The filler had never filled doubles and for some reason shut down the center post and filled the left side (which was the side she took the reg off). Got down to depth on the next dive and she went OOA. She ascended on her secondary (on the left side). We debriefed among ourselves first as it was our issue, but then also with the crew. It was a good learning experience for all.

Last edited:
Edit: and the issue is not if trace could recover from the prank, but if he had messed up, failed to check, fixed it in the water- the guy would have probably found that to be especially hilarious, and might do something similar to another less skilled diver.

I have no problem with the content or topic of this thread except comparing this to cut brake lines and attempted murder.

For the record, I think it's a horrible thing to do. As do most who have responded.

However.

Apparently these sort of "pranks" have been part of scuba since the beginning. I just read a document posted by @boulderjohn in another thread: http://www.divinghistory.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/nauihistory.pdf which clearly describes similar hi-jinks in the very first national scuba class in the US and even talks about them as if they were a good thing. I'm glad I've never been the victim of this sort of thing.

Times change. What used to be considered a prank or team building is now considered hazing.

50 years ago...if someone shut your air off like that...I'd assume they were just joking around or trying to teach you a lesson. These days...I'd assume that person is a moron and/or a psychopath.

I am a construction worker. And what I consider a "joke" would probably not be inside of what you would consider "comfortable".
But when it comes to endangering my life and/or the lives of others...it's no longer a joke. My industry is filled with ex-cons. (I'm not one) And there is only one thing that they usually understand.
A pounding including bodily harm is letting them off easy... incarceration is going "atomic".

I apologise if I seem a little rough...probably the crowd I work with.

Yes we still both agree this guy was wrong. I also agree you are probably not someone who I would enjoy joking around with.

I don't think beating someone up is really the answer. If that is the crowd you choose to hang around and think like then so be it. But with that line of tho you will soon be a "con" just like them. We can't control what others do but we can control our reactions.

I’m finding it hard to grasp how a grown person would view that as an appropriate joke.

There could be a number of reasons that a grown person wouldn't understand. Just because someone looks normal doesn't mean they don't have a degree of mental illness. Also if no one ever flat out tells them what they are doing is wrong then how will they know. Some people are not that swift.

I don't think beating someone up is really the answer. If that is the crowd you choose to hang around and think like then so be it. But with that line of tho you will soon be a "con" just like them. We can't control what others do but we can control our reactions.

I'm at work right now...
But usually I am an easy going guy. We would probably be just fine as friends drinking down a couple of cold ones together. (Soda, beer, tea, wine and etc)

But then you probably wouldn't choose to "play rough".
And I actually prefer that.
But...

Back
Top Bottom