Non GUE DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca:
There is a DIR-E class this weekend in Monterey.. I'm not sure if this is the first one... Let's see what comes out of it
Most likely some divers with a revised opinion of their diving proficiency ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Most likely some divers with a revised opinion of their diving proficiency ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... do you think they serve Diet Kool Aide? LOL

That's good...now I need to clean the screen...:)
Kirsten

Ben_ca:

I believe it's called Sugar Free Kool-Aid. :D

a0tfkx0.jpg

People a couple of hundred bucks light in the wallet?

Too bad conditions are looking so crappy for Sunday. Well, they are Local Instructors, so I'm sure they will reschedule Sunday if it is anything like the forecast.

Mark

Ben_ca:
There is a DIR-E class this weekend in Monterey.. I'm not sure if this is the first one... Let's see what comes out of it

mweitz:
People a couple of hundred bucks light in the wallet?
Hmmm ... are you suggesting that these students won't be getting their money's worth from the course?

Just out of curiosity, who's teaching the class?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My opinion is that GUE classes are for DIR :D

Mark

mweitz:
My opinion is that GUE classes are for DIR :D

Mark
Mine is that would be fine if marketing and politics didn't factor so heavily into the definition of the term.

Marketing and politics are fine for business decisions ... but they add no value to what students come to class to learn.

IMO - an instructor who decides to teach for another agency will still teach the same quality of education. It's been said many times ... it's the instructor that matters, not the agency. GUE doesn't earn an exemption from that concept ... not when the instructors we're talking about have been taught to train at that level.

What you're saying is equivalent to "catechism is only for Catholics" ... which is all well and good for whatever value it provides to the individual. But from a pragmatic point of view, I don't think it matters a whole lot.

Just out of curiosity ... who's teaching the class??

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I personally don't think you need a class to prepare for a class that is supposed to prepare you for a class. That is the purest definition of marketing BS, which the crowd seems to excel at.

Mark

NWGratefulDiver:
IMO - an instructor who decides to teach for another agency will still teach the same quality of education. It's been said many times ... it's the instructor that matters, not the agency. GUE doesn't earn an exemption from that concept ... not when the instructors we're talking about have been taught to train at that level.
Don't want to raise same question again, but if you don't know a diver, you'll probably estimate his knowledge by knowing the instructor. But if you don't know his instructor the only thing you can rely on is agency. We all agee that more or less all agencies (PADI, SSI, NAUI, CMAS) give pretty much same level of education. With GUE it's little bit different. From time to time I have the oportunity to dive with divers that are trained by other DIR instructor than mine (and my standard buddies). I know what I can expect even I dive rarely with them.

mweitz:
My opinion is that GUE classes are for DIR
Mark, you have a talent for starting very long threads. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom