Non GUE DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweitz:
I personally don't think you need a class to prepare for a class that is supposed to prepare you for a class. That is the purest definition of marketing BS, which the crowd seems to excel at.

Mark
So you believe that the DIR-F class is marketing BS?

mweitz:
I personally don't think you need a class to prepare for a class that is supposed to prepare you for a class. That is the purest definition of marketing BS, which the crowd seems to excel at.

Mark
Every diving class you have ever taken prepared you for the next class in the progression ... including DIR-F, which from its inception was nothing more than a remedial class to prepare the diver for Tech 1.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That isn't what I said.

The "E" Class was introduced a couple of weeks before Andrew parted ways with GUE, along with a slew of other "new" classes. To me it is simply a way to generate more revenue since the company is losing the "I want to take my class from the Training Director of GUE" crowd.

Mark

JeffG:
So you believe that the DIR-F class is marketing BS?

mweitz:
That isn't what I said.

The "E" Class was introduced a couple of weeks before Andrew parted ways with GUE, along with a slew of other "new" classes. To me it is simply a way to generate more revenue since the company is losing the "I want to take my class from the Training Director of GUE" crowd.

Mark
But the DIR-E is not meant to prepare someone for DIR-f. Its meant to prepare them for the Tech NAUI classes.

Its going to be fascinating to see what happens when new graduates of 5thd-x intro-to-tech start showing up here...

I'm perfectly happy to welcome them as fellow divers, but I have a feeling that (due to no fault of their own) they're gonna bring in a huge storm cloud of flamewars...

Keep your popcorn machines ready, and the beer fridge well-stocked...

MonkSeal:
Don't want to raise same question again, but if you don't know a diver, you'll probably estimate his knowledge by knowing the instructor. But if you don't know his instructor the only thing you can rely on is agency. We all agee that more or less all agencies (PADI, SSI, NAUI, CMAS) give pretty much same level of education. With GUE it's little bit different. From time to time I have the oportunity to dive with divers that are trained by other DIR instructor than mine (and my standard buddies). I know what I can expect even I dive rarely with them.
A valid point in some cases ... but not always. In this case, the instructors are known ... they are both former GUE instructors.

Does anyone reading this really, truly believe that just because they are now teaching for NAUI that they will lower their standards to the minimum NAUI level?

Me neither ... nor can I believe that they will give their students any less quality for their money than they did when they were teaching for GUE. It isn't the agency that motivates an individual to become an instructor, nor determines the quality of education that they provide ... that comes from within. It takes a tremendous investment in time and effort to become a GUE instructor ... and anyone who would do so won't suddenly become an inferior instructor because they decide, for whatever reason, to teach for someone else.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

lamont:
I'm perfectly happy to welcome them as fellow divers, but I have a feeling that (due to no fault of their own) they're gonna bring in a huge storm cloud of flamewars...
I will be very interested on who would be doing the flaming, because it would say lots about them. It would make it easier to determine who is in the "dumb with an attitude" category.

Standards are a joke. Just do whatever you want, cause you know better then the agency. Isn't that the way it works?

Mark

NWGratefulDiver:
A valid point in some cases ... but not always. In this case, the instructors are known ... they are both former GUE instructors.

Does anyone reading this really, truly believe that just because they are now teaching for NAUI that they will lower their standards to the minimum NAUI level?

Me neither ... nor can I believe that they will give their students any less quality for their money than they did when they were teaching for GUE. It isn't the agency that motivates an individual to become an instructor, nor determines the quality of education that they provide ... that comes from within. It takes a tremendous investment in time and effort to become a GUE instructor ... and anyone who would do so won't suddenly become an inferior instructor because they decide, for whatever reason, to teach for someone else.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom