North sulawesi - early December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi All - Ive been reading this thread and want to say - there is a wealth of valuable info here - so thanks very much.

I am contemplating a similar itinerary in early June but just have 8 days (this will be before a 10 day Raja Ampat LOB)
We are not photographers and wouldn't want too be highly focused on muck/macro diving a majority of the time in one location. So for that I think Lembeh is out. I am thinking 5 days in Bangka and 2 in Bunaken which really means one day of diving in Bunaken because we'll need to off gas for the flight to Sorong.

Here are my questions, thoughts and contemplations:

- Its her first time in Indo and I think Bunaken first then Bangka then off to RA to "build up the experience" of Indonesia reefs. However it would probably be easier logistically to go to Banka first then spend the last 2 days closer to Manado before our flight.

- Is omitting Lembeh a good decision given the background and time constraints? Would there be any Lembeh/muck like dives within striking distance if we are in Bangka?

- Are there any current/weather issues around Bangka in June that we should consider?

- Like the OP we are on a bit of a budget and I haven't looked into any resorts or packages yet, so any and all input thoughts and recos is greatly appreciated in advance.

Many thanks!

Hi

Just got back from 9 days in Northern Sulawesi.
2 days of diving in Manado/Bunaken - 8 dives
1 day of partial northern Manado and Bangka 4 dives
3 days of Lembeh 12 dives

I commuted from Manado to Bangka and then Lembeh by boat.
About 90 minutes from Manado (Murex resort) to Bangka and then 45 minutes from Bangka to Lembeh.

First of all, good that you are ending with Raja Ampat (RA) . We had a few guests that started with RA and ended on nothern Sulawesi. They wish they had did it the other way round.

I have to clarify very strongly - Lembeh is not necessarily only for photographers. The same could be about colorful reefs - oh reefs are only for photographers.
Lembeh is for creatures that evolved highly in the art of camouflage. If anything, I think colorful reefs are easier to photograph than incognito creatures.
Anyways, the dives aren't colorful (obviously) but there is plenty to see.
Its a type of diving - maybe you enjoy it and maybe you don't.
A lot of people were commenting that they would skip Bunaken & head over to Bangka because "Bunaken is all wall diving".
Well, I absolutely love wall diving. Theres something mesmerizing about diving laterally at 28 meters and looking down to infinity.

See the point? Horses for courses as they say.

Regarding logistics, yes starting with Bangka is logistically more sound. Because its about 1.5 to 2 hours including the boat commute to Manado.

I doubt there are a lot of muck dives around Lembeh - but Manado had a few. Not as fantastic as Lembeh of course, but a nice preview.

You could easily do a day trip to Lembeh - if other divers are going, it makes it cheaper for you. Or opt to go regardless of whether there are other divers.

I have to clarify very strongly - Lembeh is not for photographers. The same could be about colorful reefs - oh reefs are only for photographers.
Lembeh is for creatures that evolved highly in the art of camouflage. If anything, I think colorful reefs are easier to photograph than incognito creatures.
A lot of people were commenting that they would skip Bunaken & head over to Bangka because "Bunaken is all wall diving".
Lembeh not for photographers?
As a photographer, I would say Lembeh is MOSTLY for photographers (due to the number of critters and their behavior scenes as a photo subject), while Bunaken walls are not for photographers (it's very awkward to shoot images on walls because wide angle is better shot upwards when you see a part of the surface or a sunball, walls will often prevent that and constrain the image composition with a straight vertical and dark mass which is not pleasant).

Hi

Just got back from 9 days in Northern Sulawesi.
2 days of diving in Manado/Bunaken - 8 dives
1 day of partial northern Manado and Bangka 4 dives
3 days of Lembeh 12 dives

I commuted from Manado to Bangka and then Lembeh by boat.
About 90 minutes from Manado (Murex resort) to Bangka and then 45 minutes from Bangka to Lembeh.

First of all, good that you are ending with Raja Ampat (RA) . We had a few guests that started with RA and ended on nothern Sulawesi. They wish they had did it the other way round.

I have to clarify very strongly - Lembeh is not for photographers. The same could be about colorful reefs - oh reefs are only for photographers.
Well, I absolutely love wall diving. Theres something mesmerizing about diving laterally at 28 meters and looking down to infinity.

See the point? Horses for courses as they say.

Regarding logistics, yes starting with Bangka is logistically more sound. Because its about 1.5 to 2 hours including the boat commute to Manado.

I doubt there are a lot of muck dives around Lembeh - but Manado had a few. Not as fantastic as Lembeh of course, but a nice preview.

You could easily do a day trip to Lembeh - if other divers are going, it makes it cheaper for you. Or opt to go regardless of whether there are other divers.

I think that you may be a bit confused.
Lembeh is almost 100% muck diving and because of the weirdness of the critters, it attracts more underwater photographers than many other areas.

I have to clarify very strongly - Lembeh is not for photographers

I have to agree with both Chilly and Luko, Lembeh is most definitely for photographers, that is the main reason people go there.

Lembeh not for photographers?
As a photographer, I would say Lembeh is MOSTLY for photographers (due to the number of critters and their behavior scenes as a photo subject), while Bunaken walls are not for photographers (it's very awkward to shoot images on walls because wide angle is better shot upwards when you see a part of the surface or a sunball, walls will often prevent that and constrain the image composition with a straight vertical and dark mass which is not pleasant).

I think that you may be a bit confused.
Lembeh is almost 100% muck diving and because of the weirdness of the critters, it attracts more underwater photographers than many other areas.

I have to agree with both Chilly and Luko, Lembeh is most definitely for photographers, that is the main reason people go there.

I worded it wrongly and reworded it above (in bold and underlined).

Had meant to say that Lembeh isn't really exclusively for photographers. A non-photographer would easily enjoy as much.
As I did. I didn't take any photo/video recording and tremendously enjoyed muck diving.

My point is one shouldn't cross off Lembeh because they don't photograph.
In fact, without any camera gear & given the same dive time, a non-photographer will generally see/capture more of those critters.

All great points folks and thanks for the specific logistical feedback Corrputed_D.

I was in Lembeh in '16 and we clearly all can agree its an amazing place - it provided many firsts for me: Wunderpuss, Mandarin and other super shy camo critters. If its possible to do a day trip from Bangka, we'll likely do it.

With my eyesight waning and being too cheap/lazy/vane to get a prescription mask, I'm happy to hit it again, especially with an exceptional guide (I have to say in my experience I think Sulawesi born and bred guides are consistently very very good). But no doubt I'll be taking out the contacts (again) for the Lembeh/macro sites.

Again appreciate all this feedback and this forum on a whole - and especially the members that are consistently active with a wealth of info and willing to candidly share - many of whom are on this thread. I've sporadically used this in the past and in planning my 2020 have once again found it to be extremely useful (and at times def entertaining!) I'll try to be more active in contributing as my experience deepens, with some trip reports etc. I'm taking most of next year to see more "the triangle" and see things before they are gone. Among my landlubber friends I have been labelled a bit of a Chicken Little/Climate Alarmist telling everyone I can the "sky is falling/reefs are dying."

Excuse my digression that is for a whole other topic/thread.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom