Not in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had this as my cellphone ringtone for a while. (Realize this doesn't add anything of value to the thread :).

The value is in knowing I'm not the only one who did that. Most people here at home dont understand what it is like to be a cozaholic.

Only takes one trip and you are hooked!

Not necessarily, my first trip was to an AI with a cattle boat 40 minute dive op.

Once I explored more options, I became hooked.

If the Zetas are flexing their muscles in PDC, sorry people but it's only a matter of time before they look across the channel at the untouched territory of Cozumel. Extortion will be to Cozumel sooner or later, if it hasn't already hit the island. This would be a really scary topic if I was a Cozumel dive shop owner right now.
Here are some more recent articles from the mainland:
Popular Playa nightclub closes amid rising insecurity

This one mentions a shooting in Cozumel:
Another violent day in Quintana Roo

Here are some more recent articles from the mainland:
Popular Playa nightclub closes amid rising insecurity

This one mentions a shooting in Cozumel:
Another violent day in Quintana Roo

I'm not glossing over these events, but will just point out that these things have actually been happening for a long time across the pond, we just didn't hear as much about them until the big event in Playa del Carmen. Still, they are far less frequent than in US or Canadian cities of comparable size and population. A) These "attacks" as dramatized were not random shootings, they were among "like minded chamacos" who had issues between them. No different than drug deals or love triangles gone bad in the US or Canada, the same thing in these cases. B) They were not in tourist areas - they were way back in the neighborhoods as indicated by the street numbers and colonias.

I'm not glossing over these events, but will just point out that these things have actually been happening for a long time across the pond, we just didn't hear as much about them until the big event in Playa del Carmen. Still, they are far less frequent than in US or Canadian cities of comparable size and population. A) These "attacks" as dramatized were not random shootings, they were among "like minded chamacos" who had issues between them. No different than drug deals or love triangles gone bad in the US or Canada, the same thing in these cases. B) They were not in tourist areas - they were way back in the neighborhoods as indicated by the street numbers and colonias.

Correct.
Absolutely no conclusions can be arrived at from these events. None.
Those who would suggest otherwise don't know what they're talking about.

Correct.
Absolutely no conclusions can be arrived at from these events. None.
Those who would suggest otherwise don't know what they're talking about.

um... yeah... sure...

Let's not lose our heads over some violence, but lets not bury them in the sand either, or try to gloss over them. They are what they are, nothing more, but also nothing less.

Cartel chiefs arrested in Cancún, Playa
(MEXICO NEWS DAILY 13 FEB 17)

Some drug cartel bosses were picked up on the weekend by federal security forces in the Quintana Roo cities of Cancún and Playa del Carmen.

Federal Police arrested two presumed leaders of the Cártel Jalisco Nueva Generación while they were traveling in a luxury sport vehicle, in which police found firearms.

In Playa del Carmen it was the Army that captured four presumed members of Los Zetas as they were collecting extortion money from a bar, according to state officials.

The Army wasn’t alone: it was aided by federal, state and tourism police, a force that was about 80-strong.

Violence flared in the city January 16 when gunman began firing during a music festival at the Blue Parrot bar, in which six people were killed and 15 wounded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom