Not in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I have ever heard that, it wasn't stored in my memory because I probably thought they were joking. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to drugs!
You may not look like a likely purchaser, or you might not even be aware what you've been offered if you have been propositioned in the past, the typical offer is super quiet almost inaudible, I'm so used to ignoring come-ons and they say it so quietly that it usually doesn't register what they said for a few steps. It's usually something like "tour for tomorrow..." followed by the voice going whisper quiet.."weed... coca?" If you're not listening to them you likely wouldn't even hear the offer of drugs.

Coz is a very safe tourist destination, but it is not without it's crime and violence. I feel very safe, but I practice more "situational awareness" in the streets than I do while diving.

If you saw gang grafitti, would you recognize it? Have you seen the MS13 or zeta's scribbles around town?

Did anyone read about the guy that was killed after he tried to sell some coke that he found washed ashore in a bale on the east side?

Did you read about the string of house robberies that ended when they caught the guy and beat the crap out of him before calling the police?

There are many reports of crime in the news, just as you would expect in any major city. I don't think there is any benefit for us to discuss local issues that normally don't affect tourists or part time expat visitors. Coz is a very safe place but you are not in Disneyland.

Just to prove my point, here is an article from todays news, talking about a police car that was fire bombed in front of a mechanics shop where it had been sitting for many weeks waiting to be repaired until payment was received.

This has no effect on tourists even though it has a sensational headline. Yes it is an unfortunate event, but these are local issues.

'Bomb' against patrol in the workshop

COZUMEL, January 18 .- Molotov bombings are being launched against a Public Security patrol outside a workshop, where it has been waiting for more than a month and a half waiting for service. Those responsible left a cardboard threatening to police of the Group of Special Operations (GOE). Perla Tun Pech can not guarantee the security nor to its patrols, less to the population to have a policy that has affected to the preventive police.
All this happened on 7 South Street between 80 and 85 at night, at the door of a mechanic's workshop called "Carlos", one of the several places where patrols are transferred by the city council in order to receive repair. In the case of unit 7160 attacked, is almost two months ago if not more on the street without being attended, everything indicates that for failure to pay the "government of change."
The patrol was hit by a homemade or molotov bomb on its right side, leaving the trail of soot burned, and to prevent it being the subject of media coverage, the unit was transferred to the corralón attached to the prison in the industrial zone .
Another of the traces erased by the municipal authority was a card with the following inscription: "Ponganse vergas pinches goes and comandantes, already fichados. Vajenle of eggs or we lower them, atte: poster Medellin "(sic). This card was secured by the municipal police, unofficial sources say.
The so-called Goes are the members of the Special Operations Group (GOE) of the municipal police, who once have been accused of being charged "floor right" to local narcomenudistas, which has resulted in casualties of the corporation.
It has not been officially established that the perpetrators of the attack are a group with intentions to enter the square to sell drugs to local and independent groups.
An unofficial version is that all this was due to the annoyance generated by a narcomenudista of this group was stopped by municipal police last weekend and that allegedly suffered from some injury to the head or hands during the action. That would have been considered as an abuse of authority towards him, in addition to the economic affectation for them. However, it must be remembered that in Cozumel there are no significant detentions of narcomenudistas nor much less important seizures of drugs, something that happened in previous administrations in coordination with the Military Garrison and Naval Sector, but now neither the municipal and these two institutions Cited give these results despite the increase of narcomenudismo groups in Cozumel.

Did you read about the string of house robberies that ended when they caught the guy and beat the crap out of him before calling the police?
I know a guy back home in Louisiana who heard some noise from downstairs and found a guy going through the desk in his office. The would-be burglar picked the wrong house to break into; the homeowner is a 6'5" 250 lb ex-jock who beat the crap out of him with a baseball bat and threw him out into the front yard. To add insult to injury (literally) he didn't call the cops.

I have been offered drugs on more than one occasion. Everything from hash, to weed, to cocaine. One guy even wanted to sell me his sister. :eek: I politely declined and kept on walking. One guy was very persistent until I showed him my neck chain, that has a replica of a police badge on it. Once he looked at the badge, and heard the words "Policia" he was no longer interested in selling anything. o_O

Divegoose

Last edited:
Here is a pretty good article from a reporter at the Blue Parrot covering the festival.

http://www.magneticmag.com/2017/01/...he-blue-parrot-nightclub-in-playa-del-carmen/

If the Zetas are flexing their muscles in PDC, sorry people but it's only a matter of time before they look across the channel at the untouched territory of Cozumel. Extortion will be to Cozumel sooner or later, if it hasn't already hit the island. This would be a really scary topic if I was a Cozumel dive shop owner right now.

Been here 25 years and I don't see it going to hell. It is still an island and hard to escape from if you do something bad. Not worried at all.

You may not look like a likely purchaser, or you might not even be aware what you've been offered if you have been propositioned in the past, the typical offer is super quiet almost inaudible, I'm so used to ignoring come-ons and they say it so quietly that it usually doesn't register what they said for a few steps. It's usually something like "tour for tomorrow..." followed by the voice going whisper quiet.."weed... coca?" If you're not listening to them you likely wouldn't even hear the offer of drugs.

Exactly right.

Met my uncle and aunt at the cruise ship today and we did the walk about the shops.

In the space of an hour looking at the vendors blending with the cruise ship herd I overheard, witnessed or was offered drugs by 17 dealers. Mainly the first offer was some other service following by the whispered. All the common 5 drugs, and a collection of prison tattoos all in the midday sun.

It's here like everywhere. Better to be underwater.

As you were,
Cameron

Ps. For the curious: one of my hats has been a youth outreach worker so my eyes are a little more tuned.

I recorded the jingle a few years back when I was staying in a downtown apt. I'm not the only crazy coz-aholic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom