Old Bauer and Mako questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gee, Why so hard on the Bauer? Thats a Utilus which is the same block as the Capitano and Mariner. I believe in that age range its also rated for continuous duty too. That said I didn't see any filtration and the 3-phase motor would need to be changed out. But at the end of the day its a robust block and parts are readily available. I have two utilus compressors that are decades older (late 60's and '74) that run great and have been able to get the few parts they need easily from Bauer or Lawrence Factor. If it were in my backyard for cheap I would buy it.
I have nothing against the Bauer. That said, I think the Mako is a better unit for the money, but I'm biased. If I could pick them both up for less than a thousand, I would, I'd make them both single phase, and sell them for $2500 each.

So for discussion sake, even if they had major issues, cracked case, locked up, etc. The price is right and get them both is the consensus.

Once again agree with Wookie. No hate for the Bauer. I'm just not convinced it's a continuous duty unit at all. If they're selling for $1000 both you'd be nuts not to buy both. Then either keep or sell the one you don't want for a profit. I thought you were going to say $1000-1200 for the bauer and $2-3000 for the Mako.

Lol good to know, might have one up for sale momentarily! I'm going to go look at them tomorrow an will definitely update you all as this progresses.
Thanks for the help fellas!

So for discussion sake, even if they had major issues, cracked case, locked up, etc. The price is right and get them both is the consensus.
If that little bauer is locked up, it's probably a floating piston issue, and inexpensive to repair. If the mako is locked up or the case is cracked, I'd take it off your hands to get the auto drains and purification towers from you. I'm not saying to buy it or them regardless, if there are guts hanging out, you may not want them, but parts is parts. If I could get an auto-drain, moisture separator, and purification tower, I'd give you a grand right now for them.

Not interested in the Bauer version, BTW.

Yeah, I don't know anything about those Mako's... Just wanted to say that the Bauer shouldn't necessarily be written off as scrap.

yeah, what Frank said. The drains, and towers alone are of significant interest at that price....

On their way to their new home...and to see how much money I'm about to have to sink into them to get em running for our needs.
Thanks for all the help fellas!
20181017_155850.jpg

Alright,
Got em home safe. Little update on the both.
The mako has no model number plate but does has a serial number plate still attached, can anyone tell me anything off this alone?
Sn-223368
It has 454hrs run time on it, not locked up and spins freely. Sounds like its pumping when rotating by hand. Has a 220v single phase motor on it but the bearings in the electrical motor itself sound like that haven't ran in quite some time. I'll clean them up and see if it quiets down before cranking up.
Plan of attack is to replace all the filters, change the oil, put a new final gauge on it (only one it has) and crank it up. Anything else that needs attention after sitting for a while before running?

Onto the bauer-3 phase motor which I knew going in...not necessarily a dealbreaker for me as I have a bunch of machining equipment that is all 3 phase and runs off of a 30hp rotary phase converter :)..not that I'm trying to run a compressor all the time on the converter but I figured I'd wire it up and see what else it needs before investing in a single phase conversion if I decide to go that route
All the gauges have lost water and the needles have vibrated and bent or broken as a result.
It was last serviced in 09 with 171 hrs and currently sitting at 184 hrs on the machine. Also rotates freely and builds pressure just by rotating by hand. Couple turns of the motor and pressure built in the 1st stage drain. Was told it last ran 2 years ago and has been sitting since.
Plan of attack on this one is all new filters, new oil and run it before I spend 400+ in guages for it.

Anything I'm missing? Any insight to add?
What type of oil should I be putting in these things and can i use the same kind in both of em?

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom