OLY E-M1 New Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

I largely agree with your analysis but the E-M1 is probably the best solution when you already have a large investment in ports and lenses but want the added capability. It may not be the best choice when starting from scratch at this moment. Underwater photographers need to consider their initial system investment much more carefully than surface photographers.

Last edited:
Guy,

I would agree fully that the Olympus E-M5 and the Nauticam NA-EM5 housing are both excellent choices for anyone wanting to move up for a consumer compact, as a new starting system or for the many who have wanted to down size for the DSLR size APS-C cameras.

I am not a pixel-peeper and look to others for those types of reviews and it is clear to me that DPReview is one of the most well respected of the bunch. They compare cameras of like class to each other when awarding points and allow you to compare results between cameras.

So according to DPreview the E-M1 has better (not by a lot) RAW and Jpeg quality than the E-M5, Canon 7D and 70D and Panasonic GH-3, Nikon D-7100 an excellent camera as are all these is slightly better in both.

Video wise and video is not Olympus target market, E-M5 same and 7D, 70D and GH-3 better and D-7100 worse by more than a little bit.

I think the bottom line here is that all of the current higher end sub full frame cameras like those listed above are on par image quality wise with each other and that the only way to get any really noticeable increase in image quality is by going with a full frame 35mm sensor or bigger.

Regarding cost, Olympus has made it quite clear that the E-M1 is the "PRO" camera replacement for the Olympus DSLR E-1, E-3, E-5 line of cameras and this is reflected in the ability to use the excellent quality 43 lens line like the 300mm F/2.8, 90-250mm F/2.8 zoom, 50mm macro (one of the best macros ever made) and others.
Further all three of the Olympus E-line of cameras entered the marker at a street price of $1699.00US so to many the price for this camera does not seem out of line at all.

Regarding the 12-40mm zoom at $999.00 the DXO test show this lens to be as good or better than the Panasonic 12-35mm which retailed when it was released several years ago at $1399.00. The 12-40mm is also quite significantly better in all respects compared to the 12-50 KIT according to DXO when using the same camera body to compare.

If you look at the DXO marks regarding sensors, the E-M1 also does better than the E-M5 but worse than cameras with bigger sensors and more MP's, a bit misleading to me because it does not take lens and other issues into consideration. If is for instance quite clear to me the medium format sensors yield better image quality than 35mm sensors. But because they have CCD sensors rather than C-moss sensors they don't work well at ISO settings above 400 so they get a lower DXO rating this has nothing to do with their ability to take better quality images at base ISO settings.

Bottom line is that image quality wise not much difference between any of these cameras. Built quality, speed, viewfinder wise several differences. So while an E-M1 system is going to cost more than the E-M5 system, I think overall it will still be a less expensive investment than any of the DSLR's you have listed above and lots smaller.

I fully understand your not wanting to sell an excellent year+ old camera but for others it may be cost effective compared to others cameras that have 5-axis image image stabilization, ability to use both M43 and 43 lenses, weather and freeze sealing, high frame rate, PRO quality lenses and much much more all in a still very small package.

Phil Rudin

I bought the E-M1 this week. Haven't had a chance to take it out and get some shots with it yet. Where are those damned underwater cases already?! :wink:

A post from WetPixel.

Three things you get with the Nauticam NA-EM1 that you don't get with the Olympus housing or the Nauticam NA-EM5 housing.

#1-Vertical shutter release which may not seem like a big deal until you hold the housing and move the shutter release.

#2-The housing comes with the electronics for the vacuum system (on/off switch, sensors and warning lights) built in. This is about a $220.00 retro-fit with annual service for the EM5 housing. NOT INCLUDED is the valve and pump for the system. More than one type of valve is available so it can be added at anytime.

#3-Two removable hand grips. These grips fit to the bottom of the housing and can be removed if you want to use a wrist strap which will be an option. The Nauticam Flex-tray and second grip would run around $190.00 for the EM5 housing or Olympus housing.

The housing also has more controls for the camera.

If the Backscatter $1850.00 price is correct it would be a bargain to me. With the Nauticam housing for the Panasonic GH3 at around $2250.00 I would have expected a price over $2000.00 for NA-EM1 housing.

For those of you that are going to consider the Olympus housing for EM1, some of the ports you may want from the older Olympus DSLR housings for 43 lenses are for sale in the used equipment section with the PT-E06 housing.

Phil Rudin

Looks like Nauti has come in at an incredible price point, with the total for the housing the same as the EM-5 housing with all options. Well done! For those people who have the EM-1 and no underwater set-up, Nauti has come up with a tremendous solution.

As for value, the EM-5 is now selling for $799 and I bet will drop more before Christmas. The EM-1 is $1400 and I bet will not drop for several months or longer. The price pressure on the EM-5 now makes it and the Nauti housing absolutely the best UW photo deal ever! Especially since the ultimate bottom line--still and video image quality--is the same between these cameras.

So, Nauti/Oly have created two options, the "bargain" EM-5 option or the "premium" EM-1 option for those already committed to getting that particular camera. They should hopefully sell a bunch of each. I see it breaking out as follows:

For persons jumping into high-end m43 for the first time who want the best camera going right now (or already invested in 43 and wanting the EM-1 for those lenses), Nauti has hit a home run with that price on the housing.

For persons seeking a bargain to move into high-end m43, EM-5 is the way to go as you get the same image/video quality as the EM-1 for half the price and 80% of the functionality.

For persons already having the EM-5, no reason to upgrade until a new iteration with higher resolution and better video (unless you are flush with funds that you don't want to spend on dive travel instead).

Beg to differ. Your same logic would make the e-pl5 the best deal out there. And Reef photo sells the nautical e-pl3 housing modified for the e-pl5 for $1050 isn. Now that is a deal:)

$1500 for housing and camera.

In terms of image quality you are probably right, as all three cameras use basically the same sensor. I don't know about the E-PL5's video quality so can't comment on that.

However, there are three MAJOR difference between the EM-5 and the E-PL5 which puts them in different leagues, and that is the EVF and the 5 Axis image stabilization, and the design/functionality of the body and AF system for manual exposure control. The EM-5 is in a whole different league from the PL-5 in these respects. Much more difference than between the EM5 and EM1.

But, $1500 for EPL5 and housing, versus $2,150 or so for EM-5 (799) and housing (1350). EPL5 would definitely be something for die-hard bargain hunters to consider . . . .

The price of the nauticam + lens ports may put it outside my price range

The E-P5 is really the Pen version of the E-M1, VF-4 EVF, 5-axis IS, most of the same features that the E-M5 doesn't have, but so far there's been no indication of an enclosure. I wonder why it's being ignored.

Jak, I would not be holding my breath waiting for an E-P5 housing.

Guy, the Nauticam NA-EM5 housing is now $1450.00 but still a value V. the Olympus housing at $960.00.

To compare all of these cameras as being equal because they all have a 16MP sensor is a bit short sighted. They are all very good for the price point at which they compete but they are hardly the same. A comparison of the cameras at a respected sights like DPReview will confirm this.

I see EM1 as the camera that will draw those moving from older DSLR's systems like D-300/D-300s, add Canon equivalent.

Phil, you are right about the cameras not being equal, but it was fun to go over all the options out there right now at the different price points.

Did not know that Nauti hiked the price of the EM-5 housing. Not good. Still, it does make the EM-1 housing seem like an even better deal.

I do believe, however, that no one would be able to tell any difference at all in a 20x30 print between the EPL5, EM5 and EM-1. NOr would they see any difference in HD video quality. Same resolution, same dynamic range, similar noise performance. The true difference is in the camera's handling, and, there, HUGE difference between EPL5 and EM5 and moderate improvement between EM5 and EM1.

I would think people moving for the first time to m43 would get the EM-1 if they want the very best camera. Still, I assume OLY wants to keep selling as many EM-5s as it can, and Nauti as many EM5 housings as it can, and the new lower OLY price points will definitely assure that happens as well.

It's a great time for anyone looking to get into an OLY underwater system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom