Olympus 5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the 5050 focuses up to 1/2 inch, why would you need the add on macro? What is the net gain?

sinners once bubbled...
Ok, I bought the housing from singapore.
They gave me a free 1.35 step zoom? and a wide angle lens.

The question is, can i just use it underwater, or do i need an underwater housing to house the lens

I'd double check the model number on that lens. Then I'd ask someone who sells them, like Ryan at Underwater Pros.

I bought the C-5050 and pt-015 weeks ago and they are very good for taking underwater pictures. It happened that when I was un-installing the additinal close-up lens and found that the housing front red ring adaptor was getting loose and rotated. After back to the dry land, I un-installed this red ring adaptor and found that there's a o-ring there. I am quite concern that should this red ring be fixed in any case and that do the o-ring inside this red ring adaptor be geased as no mention in the housing manual. Do any users encounter similar experience? pls give some comments.
attached a pic by this set.

It happened that when I was un-installing the additinal close-up lens and found that the housing front red ring adaptor was getting loose and rotated.
Whoa! I don't know of anyone who's had that problem yet. I don't know what the PT015 looks like when dis-assembled but if it helps this is what the PT010 looks like (page from Gilligans website http://kayakdiver.com): http://kayakdiver.com/olympus/lensremoval.htm

If it's under warranty I'd suggest a return to the person you bought it from.

thanks very much to ReyeR's info, it is truly useful and that's exactly what it is to my pt-015, and that pt-015 is similar in design to pt-010, I feel that even if I change a new one, this problem - getting loose underwater when un-installing the additional lens - will still happen. Well, Olympus has re-inforced the housing back door with double o-ring designs which is ingenius and fail-proof, but seems overlook the potential 'danger' hiding in the front of the housing!

And, btw, how to display a pic under this message? could kindly tell? Thanks!

kenton, I use a WA adaptor (PWC-01) on my PT015 and have no problem with the retainer ring coming loose. 3 things (apart from making sure this time that you tighten the port ring properly when you re-assemble it):
- don't over-tighten the close-up lens, should just be firm
- if you have the preference of mounting the close-up lens on the surface make sure you 'burp' the lens as soon as you get in the water ie unscrew the lens and make sure you remove any air trapped between the housing port and close-up lens before you descend. The trapped compressed air will make it hard to unscrew while at depth
- I use just a tiny bit of silicon grease on the thread. Care has to be taken that you don't get sand stuck on it while screwing/un-screwing the adaptor lenses or that could damage the threads

I also suggest that after re-assembling the port ring you take the housing down without the camera to make sure it doesn't leak.

And, btw, how to display a pic under this message?
To display a pic you need to first upload it on a webserver that will allow you to link images from other webservers. Then click on the 'IMG' button (see below) and put in the address (URL) of the picture while posting a reply. If you don't have a webserver you can link to then you can attach a file (less than 102400 bytes).

fb72b4d5.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom