OMS Slipstream vs Hollis F-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cruiser24

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone tired the abovementioned 2 fins? How do they compare against each other in terms of performance?

I understand that the OMS is considerably lighter but performance-wise?

Any feedback/comments much appreciated.

Many thanks.

I tried oms and did not like it because it was light which was a drawback for me as i dive dry and i dive doubles with no lead availble for trimming

I dive with F-1s in my drysuit and find them comfortable, efficient and controllable. I really like them.

However, when I got a smaller pair do wetsuit diving, I found them to be too negatively buoyant and they impacted my trim.

I sent them back to Scuba Toys for a pair of Slipstreams, which I should receive shortly. I'll report back when I've had a chance to try them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t tell much difference between the Jetfin, Slipstream, and F1 as far as performance. To me, the F1’s biggest claim to fame is the foot pocket is proportionally larger so it makes it a good choice for drysuits or people with large feet.

I own both and have dived them for a couple of years.

As others have mentioned the 2 biggest differences are 1) the F1 is heavier and more negatively buoyant than the Slipstreams and 2) the F1 has a foot pocket actually shaped to accept a human foot and not a 2x4 :wink: I'm not sure how the size of the foot pocket compares, but I use XL in both fins and use turbo soles diving dry and 5 mil booties for wet, so not that much difference in foot size.

That said, I really like the F1. The rubber material (don't know if it really is rubber) feels and flexes more (better) than the Slipstreams, and since I mostly dive dry, the negative buoyancy of the F1 is a must. But for warm water diving in a 3 mil full suit the F1s are too heavy and the Slipstreams get the nod.

As for kicks, I can frog, flutter and back kick in both just fine. For a "regular" straight leg flutter kick, the F1 feels more efficient / comfortable to me.

Hope this helps,

Henrik

I have two pairs of the F1's and love them. I do a lot of tec cold water dives and they are perfect with my dry suit boots. I teach so the yellow tips are noticeably visible for my students. I have a smaller pair for warmer water and they are also great. They come ready to rock. The straps are solid and the material is bomb proof.

Hi guys, many thanks for your feedbacks and comments. Looks like the negative buoyancy of the OMS is a problem in warm water diving and the Hollis is more comfortable. Guess I should head down to the local DC to try them out :)

Hi guys, many thanks for your feedbacks and comments. Looks like the negative buoyancy of the OMS is a problem in warm water diving and the Hollis is more comfortable. Guess I should head down to the local DC to try them out :)
I dive my Slipstreams except when DS diving and really like them. Haven't tried the F1s yet, but have several friends that love them. OMS slipstreams aren't that negative, mine are closer to neutral.

I have a pair of each. I find the Hollis more suitable for drysuit diving (larger, heavier, more responsive) and the Slipstreams better for travel (lighterweight, slightly smaller, with a foot pocket that's made more for wetsuit booties).

Overall the Hollis F1's are my all-time favorite fin ... and I've also owned Jets and Turtles. They are more comfortable and more responsive than my other fins. My only complaint about them is that the foot pocket is so enveloping that I can't fit the spring straps over my dryglove rings so I can use my hands for climbing a boat ladder or handling other gear during shore entries.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think you got everything upside down :) The OMS is neutral, not negative and Hollis is negative

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom